Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zambrano
<!--quoteo(post=103396:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:58 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 28 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103392:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:46 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103384:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:28 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 28 2010, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103381:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:20 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Cubs have had a history, in recent times, of taking a bad/uncomfortable/worrisome situation and amplifying it enormously. It just seems that every time there's a bump in the road, the Cubs piss themsleves and end up looking ridiculous/alienating people/diminishing player values. There has to be a better way to handle problems and difficulties and I think that needs to be done by changing leadership and addressing specific players next.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who though? That's what I'm trying to get out of you.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hendry and Lou now. Hendry, Baker, McPhail, et al. previously. There's obviously some other dipshits behind the scenes that have helped perpetrate the stupidity that's been going on for the better part of a decade. Institutionally, it's obvious that there's little control. A philosphy change needs to happen if this team is ever gonna be anything but a laughing stock and an afterthought.

That's all I was getting at.

Do you believe the Cubs have gone with the same philosophy since Hendry's tenure started? What exactly do you believe that philosophy to be?
Yes. I think the philosphy is to ignore shit and hope it goes away. Then if something bad happens, try to deflect all blame and put it directly on the player/person the the controversy revolves around. I think they let the inmates run the asylum, then try to blame them when things go awry. I don't think there is an obvious player conduct expectation. Things that are of no consequence one day, all the sudden are problems later. I see no consistency.
<!--quoteo(post=103407:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:14 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103396:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:58 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 28 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103392:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:46 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103384:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:28 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 28 2010, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103381:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:20 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Cubs have had a history, in recent times, of taking a bad/uncomfortable/worrisome situation and amplifying it enormously. It just seems that every time there's a bump in the road, the Cubs piss themsleves and end up looking ridiculous/alienating people/diminishing player values. There has to be a better way to handle problems and difficulties and I think that needs to be done by changing leadership and addressing specific players next.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hendry and Lou now. Hendry, Baker, McPhail, et al. previously. There's obviously some other dipshits behind the scenes that have helped perpetrate the stupidity that's been going on for the better part of a decade. Institutionally, it's obvious that there's little control. A philosphy change needs to happen if this team is ever gonna be anything but a laughing stock and an afterthought.

Do you believe the Cubs have gone with the same philosophy since Hendry's tenure started? What exactly do you believe that philosophy to be?
Yes. I think the philosphy is to ignore shit and hope it goes away. Then if something bad happens, try to deflect all blame and put it directly on the player/person the the controversy revolves around. I think they let the inmates run the asylum, then try to blame them when things go awry. I don't think there is an obvious player conduct expectation. Things that are of no consequence one day, all the sudden are problems later. I see no consistency.

And there it is.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=103407:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:14 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103396:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:58 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 28 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103392:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:46 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103384:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:28 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 28 2010, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103381:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:20 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Cubs have had a history, in recent times, of taking a bad/uncomfortable/worrisome situation and amplifying it enormously. It just seems that every time there's a bump in the road, the Cubs piss themsleves and end up looking ridiculous/alienating people/diminishing player values. There has to be a better way to handle problems and difficulties and I think that needs to be done by changing leadership and addressing specific players next.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ding.

Maybe I should know this, but who is the person that keeps these players in line? I don't think it's the manager. It sounds like maybe something the GM should do, but it also seems like something you shouldn't have to do with grown men.

I guess you can definitely blame the GM for signing these guys in the first place. Should the Cubs next GM put more effort into finding good character players?
<!--quoteo(post=103421:date=Jun 28 2010, 01:33 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 28 2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103407:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:14 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103396:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:58 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 28 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103392:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:46 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103384:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:28 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 28 2010, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103381:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:20 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 28 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Cubs have had a history, in recent times, of taking a bad/uncomfortable/worrisome situation and amplifying it enormously. It just seems that every time there's a bump in the road, the Cubs piss themsleves and end up looking ridiculous/alienating people/diminishing player values. There has to be a better way to handle problems and difficulties and I think that needs to be done by changing leadership and addressing specific players next.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe I should know this, but who is the person that keeps these players in line? I don't think it's the manager. It sounds like maybe something the GM should do, but it also seems like something you shouldn't have to do with grown men.

I guess you can definitely blame the GM for signing these guys in the first place. Should the Cubs next GM put more effort into finding good character players?
The players answer to the manager. He may delegate a lot of authority to the bench coach and his other coaches. Ultimately everything is the GM's responsibility. The answer is all of them. But controlling the clubhouse is the manager's duty.

How about just making sure all these grown men understand that there's some bullshit up with which we will not put, regardless of how well you're playing or how much you're getting paid. Anyone can ride pine. How about saying that...and meaning it.
Again, I only follow one team this closely, but it seems like every little dispute gets played out in front of the public. Why the hell did we know about Sammy's boombox in the first place? Why did we know that he left the clubhouse early? It seems like when a player is pissed, he's all too happy to voice his displeasure to the media. And the same goes for Hendry. I mean, did you read him going on and on about Zambrano? If he's really going to be on the trade block at some point, wouldn't Hendry think ahead a few weeks before opening his mouth?

Maybe it's like this with every team -- I honestly don't know. It just seems like our dirty laundry gets aired out in front of everyone to see all too often.
<!--quoteo(post=103389:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:43 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 28 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103378:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:08 AM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Jun 28 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103376:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:06 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 28 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Imagine being Zanbrano. I don't mean a pitcher with his talent, I mean <i>Zambrano</i>...you know, high strung, emotional, passionate, anger issues...easily frustrated and derailed <i>and</i> talented. Now imagine being him...and pitching with this team's offense and defense to count on. What you'd get is exactly what we got.

I'm not excusing him and he sure could have smarter and called out his team on a day when he wasn't throwing BP in the first inning....but this was inevitable.

Now picture him with another year or two of growing up and pitching for a team that plays solid behind him and gives him all kinds of offense. We may be well rid of him but if he finds the right home, he wins a Cy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm sorry but that's some apologist bullshit.

The hell it is. What I'm saying is that if he winds up playing someplace that doesn't trigger all his infantilism, he will be successful.
I wasn't referring to the latter part of your post. Could Zambrano do better elsewhere? Sure. Just better hope it's a team that commits no errors, because he's been showing teammates up for not making defensive plays for at least 6 years.

But I was referring to the first part of your post. "Zambrano being Zambrano" doesn't justify his behavior.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=103433:date=Jun 28 2010, 02:06 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Jun 28 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103389:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:43 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 28 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103378:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:08 AM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Jun 28 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103376:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:06 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 28 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Imagine being Zanbrano. I don't mean a pitcher with his talent, I mean <i>Zambrano</i>...you know, high strung, emotional, passionate, anger issues...easily frustrated and derailed <i>and</i> talented. Now imagine being him...and pitching with this team's offense and defense to count on. What you'd get is exactly what we got.

I'm not excusing him and he sure could have smarter and called out his team on a day when he wasn't throwing BP in the first inning....but this was inevitable.

Now picture him with another year or two of growing up and pitching for a team that plays solid behind him and gives him all kinds of offense. We may be well rid of him but if he finds the right home, he wins a Cy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The hell it is. What I'm saying is that if he winds up playing someplace that doesn't trigger all his infantilism, he will be successful.
I wasn't referring to the latter part of your post. Could Zambrano do better elsewhere? Sure. Just better hope it's a team that commits no errors, because he's been showing teammates up for not making defensive plays for at least 6 years.

But I was referring to the first part of your post. "Zambrano being Zambrano" doesn't justify his behavior.

I'm describing what I'm seeing, not making excuses for it. Dempster can cope with the Keystone Kops playing behind him. Zambrano can't. Someday, Z will be playing for a different kind of team and he's gonna win a ton of games.
I just remembered the Hanley Ramirez fiascoe from a little while back. Also, BJ Upton got into it with Evan Longoria in the dugout over the weekend. Bradley is pulling his same act in Seattle along with Ken Griffey Jr falling asleep in the clubhouse. The Cardinals have had several very public off the field problems over the years. I even remember Pujols having some choice words about the Cards organization over this last off season. The Mets players have collectively given Oliver Perez a big fuck you.

I think this stuff happens more than we notice.
<!--quoteo(post=103437:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:17 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 28 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just remembered the Hanley Ramirez fiascoe from a little while back. Also, BJ Upton got into it with Evan Longoria in the dugout over the weekend. Bradley is pulling his same act in Seattle along with Ken Griffey Jr falling asleep in the clubhouse. The Cardinals have had several very public off the field problems over the years. I even remember Pujols having some choice words about the Cards organization over this last off season. The Mets players have collectively given Oliver Perez a big fuck you.

I think this stuff happens more than we notice.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think it does too, but I think the Cubs have not presented a very consistent approach to handling the things that come up and that's worth noting. Z literally gets in a physical fight with Barrett that he later says was totally his own fault, and the end result is basically that Barrett is shipped out, Z is later given a massive contract. The immediate result was that <b>neither guy was suspended</b>, both just fined an undisclosed amount (think very low). This time Z throws a tantrum and pisses off Lee who yells back at him and the end result is that Z is suspended indefinitely and demoted back to the pen when/if he returns. You can argue that this was a "last straw" reaction, but I think it's more of a "Z isn't very good these days" overreaction.

Sammy leaving the last game of the season early, the players smashing the boombox and trashing him in the press, along with Cubs brass... Does that happen if Sosa wasn't treated massively differently than the other players for years when he was a HR beast, only to get treated way differently later when his skills diminished? You can't smash a boombox if it was banned from the clubhouse years back when it should have been.

The Cubs were apparently the only team offering Bradley a multi-year deal for obvious past attitude issues. Three games into spring training he's yelling at the (Cubs) fans at the games and pissing off every beat writer. But his attitude issues, which consistently fester and grow from there, don't seem to get addressed until the season is wrapping up and his numbers are in the toilet and he's suspended for talking trash about Cubs fans in the press. Cussing them out at exhibition games is good to go, saying something negative in the press is not?

The Cubs just seem to have an all or nothing approach to these issues, it's confusing and makes the team look like it's making things up as it goes along, rather than having a steady approach and philosophy regarding which players are brought in and how they are expected to act.
Isn't that every team though? Your star pulls a stunt and gets a slap on the hands while the 25th man gets suspended for the same thing? I'm not defending it, but that's not a philosophy that the Cubs are alone in practicing.
<!--quoteo(post=103433:date=Jun 28 2010, 02:06 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Jun 28 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103389:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:43 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 28 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103378:date=Jun 28 2010, 11:08 AM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Jun 28 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103376:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:06 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 28 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Imagine being Zanbrano. I don't mean a pitcher with his talent, I mean <i>Zambrano</i>...you know, high strung, emotional, passionate, anger issues...easily frustrated and derailed <i>and</i> talented. Now imagine being him...and pitching with this team's offense and defense to count on. What you'd get is exactly what we got.

Exactly, and I love Zambrano. He's a lot of fun, and his moments of brilliance have been remarkable.

However, that was a lame stunt...and, it needs to be handled.

And...those of you using this to bash Lou and Hendry again...are sticking the wrong criteria inside an awful argument.
<!--quoteo(post=103451:date=Jun 28 2010, 04:46 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jun 28 2010, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And...those of you using this to bash Lou and Hendry again...are sticking the wrong criteria inside an awful argument.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alas, no.
<!--quoteo(post=103427:date=Jun 28 2010, 02:55 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 28 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Again, I only follow one team this closely, but it seems like every little dispute gets played out in front of the public. Why the hell did we know about Sammy's boombox in the first place? Why did we know that he left the clubhouse early? It seems like when a player is pissed, he's all too happy to voice his displeasure to the media. And the same goes for Hendry. I mean, did you read him going on and on about Zambrano? If he's really going to be on the trade block at some point, wouldn't Hendry think ahead a few weeks before opening his mouth?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To the latter issue, it's because Hendry is all about protecting Hendry. His job and his reputation.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=103455:date=Jun 28 2010, 05:18 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jun 28 2010, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103427:date=Jun 28 2010, 02:55 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 28 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Again, I only follow one team this closely, but it seems like every little dispute gets played out in front of the public. Why the hell did we know about Sammy's boombox in the first place? Why did we know that he left the clubhouse early? It seems like when a player is pissed, he's all too happy to voice his displeasure to the media. And the same goes for Hendry. I mean, did you read him going on and on about Zambrano? If he's really going to be on the trade block at some point, wouldn't Hendry think ahead a few weeks before opening his mouth?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To the latter issue, it's because Hendry is all about protecting Hendry. His job and his reputation.
Every GM has his own personality quirks, both good and bad, but I've always been perplexed by Hendry's strategy of trying to ruin the reputation of a player RIGHT before he tries to trade him. Yeah, I guess from a PR standpoint he might gain a tiny bit of positive press for it, but the other side of it is that he's grossly devalued the commodity.

If you were going to sell your car, would you take an ad out in the paper that said,
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->"This car sucks. It breaks down all the time, the wheels fall off at inopportune times, it's hard as hell to steer, and I fucking hate it."<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc--> ?
And if you did, would you expect to get the same value from its sale than if you <i>didn't</i> belittle it?
This seems like common sense, right?
The only possible explanation is that Ace's post is correct.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance