Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best and worst broadcast teams
<!--quoteo(post=107156:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:43 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 21 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You were around during the Brickhouse era?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes. Asshole.
Quite a few of us were.

Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] I'm just messing with JStraw
He's a brick...house...yow! He's mighty mighty...just lettin' it all hang out!
<!--quoteo(post=107153:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:35 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 21 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107152:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:27 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 21 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Speaking of Harry, I wonder if I'm biased simply because I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and grew up with him as my announcer. Did non-Cub fans find Harry to be annoying a clown?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some Cubs fans had to work to get past that.

I'm hear to tell you that Harry couldn't tote Jack Brickhouse's jockstrap.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Brickhouse was my favorite announcer ever. When I used to throw a ball against the side of my house, and pretend I was making a play on the rebound, Brickhouse's voice was the soundtrack in my head. I loved Harry, I cried a bit when he died, but Brickhouse will always be my favorite.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
If you ever have a chance, find old tapes/audio of Harry from his younger days. He was a very good broadcast. I grew up listening to him and Piersall together. I have fond memories of those broadcasts.
<!--quoteo(post=107168:date=Jul 21 2010, 10:47 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107153:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:35 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 21 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107152:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:27 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 21 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Speaking of Harry, I wonder if I'm biased simply because I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and grew up with him as my announcer. Did non-Cub fans find Harry to be annoying a clown?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm here to tell you that Harry couldn't tote Jack Brickhouse's jockstrap.
Brickhouse was my favorite announcer ever. <b>When I used to throw a ball against the side of my house, and pretend I was making a play on the rebound, Brickhouse's voice was the soundtrack in my head.</b> I loved Harry, I cried a bit when he died, but Brickhouse will always be my favorite.
I could have written that entire post, BT. Only with me, it was hitting a plastic whiffle ball over the backyard fence, and then trotting around the "bases" with the sound of Brickhouse in my head: "It's going back...back...Hey hey!...a home run!"
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I guess I'm the contrarian but I like the Mets guys, and I find the Giant voices to be a little irritating. Josh Lewin, Buck, Hawk, the Pirates guys, and Darren Fucking Sutton are terrible. Real terrible.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
A couple more Jack Brickhouse bits:

1. Announcing the 1959 World Series was the tandem of <i>Brickhouse and Vin Scully</i>. I'd have liked to have heard them together (and Butch would have <i>loved</i> hearing it...the White Sox went down in flames).
2.Chicago columnist and lifelong Cubs fan Mike Royko's annual Cubs quiz, April 11, 1968, included the following question:
Q: Quick - When a ball goes over the left-field wall, what street does it land on?
A: Waveland Avenue. But to hear Jack Brickhouse yell, you'd think it landed in his eye.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Brickhouse was amazing...very much from the same school as Scully. People forget that when Brickhouse was the voice of our generation, Harry was the voice of the White Sox. I never really got past that...

My mom grew up a mile from Ebbets Field, watching the great Dodger teams of the 50's. Her favorite announcer was Red Barber...Scully was his protege.

It's hard to imagine a better announcer than Vin Scully...he makes these forced tandems sound absolutely inane.

The Mets announcers are a disgrace...Gary Cohen is fine, but I'm telling you...Keith Hernandez doesn't even like baseball anymore, and is about as pompous as they come. Ron Darling is simply trying to show everyone how much he knows...and fails miserably.

I do think they missed on Len and Bob. They've become a great pair. They work easily together...and Bob (whom I was not and early fan of) is as insightful as they come. I saw him at a game in Philly, too...he clearly likes the Cubs, and was VERY good to the fans. Len is smooth...he sometimes sounds like he's afraid of offending anyone, too much...but, he's great.

But...yeah...Brickhouse? If you were going to commemorate an announcer, he should have gotten the first statue.
<!--quoteo(post=107174:date=Jul 22 2010, 12:01 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 22 2010, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107168:date=Jul 21 2010, 10:47 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107153:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:35 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 21 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107152:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:27 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 21 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Speaking of Harry, I wonder if I'm biased simply because I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and grew up with him as my announcer. Did non-Cub fans find Harry to be annoying a clown?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm here to tell you that Harry couldn't tote Jack Brickhouse's jockstrap.
Brickhouse was my favorite announcer ever. <b>When I used to throw a ball against the side of my house, and pretend I was making a play on the rebound, Brickhouse's voice was the soundtrack in my head.</b> I loved Harry, I cried a bit when he died, but Brickhouse will always be my favorite.
I could have written that entire post, BT. Only with me, it was hitting a plastic whiffle ball over the backyard fence, and then trotting around the "bases" with the sound of Brickhouse in my head: "It's going back...back...Hey hey!...a home run!"

Yup..."Hey hey!". Every kid in Chicago used to mimic that constantly.
<!--quoteo(post=107180:date=Jul 22 2010, 07:22 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 22 2010, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People forget that when Brickhouse was the voice of our generation, Harry was the voice of the White Sox.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Freaking grandpa.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=107182:date=Jul 22 2010, 06:51 AM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Jul 22 2010, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107180:date=Jul 22 2010, 07:22 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 22 2010, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People forget that when Brickhouse was the voice of our generation, Harry was the voice of the White Sox.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Freaking grandpa.
Also sprach zarathustra.
<!--quoteo(post=107183:date=Jul 22 2010, 07:07 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 22 2010, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107182:date=Jul 22 2010, 06:51 AM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Jul 22 2010, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107180:date=Jul 22 2010, 07:22 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 22 2010, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People forget that when Brickhouse was the voice of our generation, Harry was the voice of the White Sox.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Freaking grandpa.
Also sprach zarathustra.

Gesundheit...
<!--quoteo(post=107152:date=Jul 21 2010, 10:27 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 21 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Speaking of Harry, I wonder if I'm biased simply because I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and grew up with him as my announcer. Did non-Cub fans find Harry to be annoying a clown?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There's a big difference between someone who has a natural vibe of charm and fun--a la Carey--and someone who's entire on-air persona is a forced caricature of charm and fun, that being Harrelson.

There have been times when Brantley is on the radio broadcasts when I have considered jamming my car into a median strip rather than listen to one more of second of his "folksy" schtick.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer