Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theriot/Lilly for DeWitt and 2 Prospects
<!--quoteo(post=109311:date=Aug 2 2010, 12:41 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Aug 2 2010, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109300:date=Aug 2 2010, 11:53 AM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Aug 2 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would agree. We as fans have been through a billion 2bs it seems since Derosa was sent packing. I think that yes, what the hell put this kid in the lineup every day from here on out and see what he can bring. Soon enough the answer at 2nd will be Castro but probably not for a couple more years. So, give this kid a shot. He seems to hae ok range and is ok at the plate. I hope it works out and he is a baller.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We've been through a billion 2nd basemen since Sandberg left. A lot of them have been decent. Eric Young, Mickey Morandini, Mark Grudzielanek, Todd Walker, Mark DeRosa....for whatever reason 2nd base hasn't been a problem.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, 3B, SS and CF have been the main problems with this team for as long as I can remember, until recently. No wonder defense has been such an issue over the years.
Not all of this is funny, but still pretty spot on.
So long, dummy...
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->A lot of the appeal of Theriot came from things that weren’t true:

- He’s not a “kid.” He’s 30 freakin’ years old.

- His best year, 2008 was when he was 28, just about the time players start their decline. He’s never ever going to be that good again. (And that wasn’t that great in the first place.)

- He’s a gritty player. A “winner.” Winners don’t get picked off first with regularity, and winners don’t give a way a month’s worth of at bats trying to hit homers that he doesn’t have the power to even threaten.

The cost of dumping Theriot on the Dodgers was including Ted Lilly in the deal. The one Cub at the trade deadline with actual trade value, and they had to use him to get rid of this dope.

In return the Cubs get a pair of minor league pitchers. One is Tim Wallach‘s kid. We remember how well drafting Carney Lansford‘s kid has worked out for the Cubs.

<b>And, they got Blake DeWitt, the son of “Three’s Company” star Joyce DeWitt.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is this true?
<!--quoteo(post=109328:date=Aug 2 2010, 04:14 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Aug 2 2010, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not all of this is funny, but still pretty spot on.
So long, dummy...
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->A lot of the appeal of Theriot came from things that weren’t true:

- His best year, 2008 was when he was 28, just about the time players start their decline. He’s never ever going to be that good again. (And that wasn’t that great in the first place.)

- He’s a gritty player. A “winner.” Winners don’t get picked off first with regularity, and winners don’t give a way a month’s worth of at bats trying to hit homers that he doesn’t have the power to even threaten.

The cost of dumping Theriot on the Dodgers was including Ted Lilly in the deal. The one Cub at the trade deadline with actual trade value, and they had to use him to get rid of this dope.

In return the Cubs get a pair of minor league pitchers. One is Tim Wallach‘s kid. We remember how well drafting Carney Lansford‘s kid has worked out for the Cubs.

<b>And, they got Blake DeWitt, the son of “Three’s Company” star Joyce DeWitt.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is this true?
Mouse over the photo of Joyce DeWitt.
<!--quoteo(post=109329:date=Aug 2 2010, 04:17 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Aug 2 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109328:date=Aug 2 2010, 04:14 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Aug 2 2010, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not all of this is funny, but still pretty spot on.
So long, dummy...
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->A lot of the appeal of Theriot came from things that weren’t true:

Is this true?
Mouse over the photo of Joyce DeWitt.
Well, there is my answer. Good one.
"The cost of dumping Theriot on the Dodgers was including Ted Lilly in the deal. The one Cub at the trade deadline with actual trade value, and they had to use him to get rid of this dope."

This is exactly what I've been mulling over all weekend. We gave up a couple of months of a soon-to-be free agent...after we're out of it...in order to dump Theriot's contract and get a little bit of salary relief for Lilly. ANYTHING else we got out of it was gravy.

I love this deal.
<!--quoteo(post=109303:date=Aug 2 2010, 11:59 AM:name=vitaminB)-->QUOTE (vitaminB @ Aug 2 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109301:date=Aug 2 2010, 12:58 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Aug 2 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109300:date=Aug 2 2010, 11:53 AM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Aug 2 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would agree. We as fans have been through a billion 2bs it seems since Derosa was sent packing. I think that yes, what the hell put this kid in the lineup every day from here on out and see what he can bring. Soon enough the answer at 2nd will be Castro but probably not for a couple more years. So, give this kid a shot. He seems to hae ok range and is ok at the plate. I hope it works out and he is a baller.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You think Castro should be shifted to 2nd? I don't think Cubs brass plan on doing that anytime soon. The more action he sees at SS the better he looks imo.

Hak-Ju Lee is going to be the next SS. Castro will move to 2B, unless one of them is moved.

Fixed.
I'll believe it when I see it.
<!--quoteo(post=109311:date=Aug 2 2010, 12:41 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Aug 2 2010, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109300:date=Aug 2 2010, 11:53 AM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Aug 2 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would agree. We as fans have been through a billion 2bs it seems since Derosa was sent packing. I think that yes, what the hell put this kid in the lineup every day from here on out and see what he can bring. Soon enough the answer at 2nd will be Castro but probably not for a couple more years. So, give this kid a shot. He seems to hae ok range and is ok at the plate. I hope it works out and he is a baller.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We've been through a billion 2nd basemen since Sandberg left. A lot of them have been decent. Eric Young, <b>Mickey Morandini</b>, Mark Grudzielanek, Todd Walker, Mark DeRosa....for whatever reason 2nd base hasn't been a problem.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

Lilly went 7 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 5 K, and retired 20 straight in his first start and picked up the win.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=109420:date=Aug 3 2010, 10:28 AM:name=biggz)-->QUOTE (biggz @ Aug 3 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109311:date=Aug 2 2010, 12:41 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Aug 2 2010, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109300:date=Aug 2 2010, 11:53 AM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Aug 2 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would agree. We as fans have been through a billion 2bs it seems since Derosa was sent packing. I think that yes, what the hell put this kid in the lineup every day from here on out and see what he can bring. Soon enough the answer at 2nd will be Castro but probably not for a couple more years. So, give this kid a shot. He seems to hae ok range and is ok at the plate. I hope it works out and he is a baller.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We've been through a billion 2nd basemen since Sandberg left. A lot of them have been decent. Eric Young, <b>Mickey Morandini</b>, Mark Grudzielanek, Todd Walker, Mark DeRosa....for whatever reason 2nd base hasn't been a problem.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]

The Dandy Little Glove Man!!
<!--quoteo(post=109584:date=Aug 4 2010, 08:24 AM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Aug 4 2010, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lilly went 7 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 5 K, and retired 20 straight in his first start and picked up the win.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Nice. I'm still going to root for Lilly.
Yeah, but Lilly's chances of seeing the postseason get slimmer by the day. He'll probably be on a contender again next season though, ie not the Cubs.
I hope the Cubs will compete in the FA market for Lilly.
<!--quoteo(post=109607:date=Aug 4 2010, 09:48 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Aug 4 2010, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, but Lilly's chances of seeing the postseason get slimmer by the day. He'll probably be on a contender again next season though, ie not the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah...I'd really like to see the Giants collapse, but whatever.
<!--quoteo(post=109616:date=Aug 4 2010, 11:07 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Aug 4 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hope the Cubs will compete in the FA market for Lilly.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? I can't be the only one who's not a fan of Ted Lilly. All I remember is him getting rocked in 07 against AZ. He's been pretty consistent, but I don't think he'll be worth the money he'll get. IMO.
<!--quoteo(post=109627:date=Aug 4 2010, 11:33 AM:name=vitaminB)-->QUOTE (vitaminB @ Aug 4 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109616:date=Aug 4 2010, 11:07 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Aug 4 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hope the Cubs will compete in the FA market for Lilly.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? I can't be the only one who's not a fan of Ted Lilly. All I remember is him getting rocked in 07 against AZ. He's been pretty consistent, but I don't think he'll be worth the money he'll get. IMO.
I love Ted Lilly, but why would we spend a bunch of money on him next season? It makes no sense.