Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
He's a big boy.

Ahh the old parable regarding drafting prospects, ‘You can’t teach size’
Cubs pick Jordan Wicks at 21. A very good pick, probably the best still on offer at 21. Happy with this one.
I'm really impressed by what I've seen of him in various interviews, so hoping he's a fast riser. Anyway, from MLB Pipeline:

Quote:Jordan Wicks

Throws: L

DOB: 09/01/99

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 220

Kansas State has never had a first-round pick or a pitcher selected in the top three rounds, but that's on the verge of changing. Wicks is clearly the top left-hander available in the 2021 Draft and has a longer track record of success than most of this year's college pitchers. He won the Big 12 Conference freshman of the year award in 2019, allowed one run in four starts during the truncated 2020 season before posting a 0.52 ERA with 52 strikeouts in 34 2/3 innings between two summer leagues, then set school records for single-season (118) and career (230) strikeouts this spring. Wicks has the best changeup in the Draft, a low-80s weapon with tumble and depth that he sells with deceptive arm speed, earning plus-plus grades from some evaluators. He sets it up with a fastball that has added about 5 mph since high school, now sitting at 90-93 mph and hitting 95 with high spin rates that give it riding action. He has improved his low-80s slider to the point where it's now a solid offering, and he also can morph it into a harder cutter and mix in an upper-70s curveball. Wicks works with little effort, easily repeating his delivery and pounding the strike zone while working both sides of the plate. In addition to his stuff and command, he earns praise for his competitiveness and inventiveness on the mound. One scout likened him to Reid Detmers, the No. 10 overall choice in 2020 by the Angels, with a changeup rather than a curveball as his dominant pitch.
Really pleased with the Wicks pick. Saw him getting mocked to the Brewers at 15 and Cardinals at 18, so let's hope he makes them regret passing on him.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Quote:Really pleased with the Wicks pick. Saw him getting mocked to the Brewers at 15 and Cardinals at 18, so let's hope he makes them regret passing on him.
Someone on NSBB was whining about getting "Quintana vibes"....I guess cause handedness and changeup?

Prep HS 3B with Bregman comps taken second.  Hopefully those comps only extend to his physical skills and not personality.

I saw someone on NSBB whinge about getting Bryant when we drafted him

Looks like we had a few scouts attend Arkansas games.

1. Jordan Wicks, LHP, Kansas State

2. James Triantos Jr., SS/3B, James Madison HS

3. Drew Gray, LHP, IMG Academy HS

4. Christian Franklin, CF, Arkansas University

5. Liam Spence, SS, Tennessee

6. Riley Martin, LHP, Quincy University

7. Parker Chavers, CF, Coastal Carolina

8. Casey Opitz, C, Arkansas University

9. Chase Watkins, LHP, Oregon State University

10. Peter Matt, OF, Duke

Some interesting picks there. Franklin from Arkansas is a great pickup.

I watched a lot of Vanderbilt games and cant believe Isiah Thomas and Dominic Keegan are still there. Their stock have fallen from the finals series as the whole teams bats went Cubs-like.
Fun fact for Liam Spence.

https://twitter.com/Vol_Baseball/status/...9902978054

I actually really like the picks.

Quote:Fun fact for Liam Spence.

https://twitter.com/Vol_Baseball/status/...9902978054

???
He went trotabout.

Just looking at what the guys we got in the Darvish trade are doing in Arizona -

Caissie in 77AB - AVG: .351, OPS: 1.160, HR: 6, RBI: 17

Preciado in 93AB - AVG: .366, OPS: .939, HR: 2, RBI: 17, SB: 7

Mena in 90AB - AVG: .244, OPS: .666, HR: 2, HR: 6, SB: 6

Santana in 109AB - AVG: .211, .OPS: .563, HR: 0, RBI: 7, SB: 7
If we get a 50% hit rate on these prospects, I'll be very pleased. Same for the deadline deals. Really excited to see Caissie, Preciado and PCA (among others) during spring training.

Caissie is an on base machine.

Canario with another HR today.