Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Right, so a solid prospect with a lot of upside, but no place to play on the big league roster for the foreseeable. To me, that's the very definition of trade bait. It would be nice to have him around in a couple of years if he's for real, but if he can be flipped for a difference maker on a contending Cubs team, I'm fine with that.

Move Darvish to the pen.

Yeah, I'd assume they would be willing to trade Alzolay for the right price given that every member of the rotation is under contract or team control through at least 2020 (except that Darvish could opt out after 2019).  If Alzolay maintained this performance at AAA last year with Lackey's and Arrieta's contracts expiring, I'd guess they would have been significantly less likely to trade him than they would be this year.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
There are no untouchable prospects in our system, period.
All of that is fine, but what hole needs to be filled? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to trade a pitcher that might not have a place on the roster for a position player with nowhere to play either. If nothing else there is always room in the bullpen for someone forcing their way onto the team.
Quote:All of that is fine, but what hole needs to be filled? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to trade a pitcher that might not have a place on the roster for a position player with nowhere to play either. If nothing else there is always room in the bullpen for someone forcing their way onto the team.

Oh, I agree. This isn't a concern in the absence of significant injuries or the approach of the trading deadline.
Quote:There are no untouchable prospects in our system, period.

As front office has traded their best prospects the last couple of years, I don't think that any prospect has been untouchable since Schwarber. 

Regarding Alzolay, glad that he's proving himself.  It's a long season and Cubs may potentially need him either in rotation for spot starts or a trading chip to fill an unforeseen hole for this or next season. 

Mike Freeman is a bit more puzzling as he's older and probably has even less of a chance to see a Cubs MLB roster after burning it up in spring training and seemingly getting hot in AAA.  Guessing that Cubs cut him loose for spare change if another opportunity arises for him. 
Freeman is bag of balls worthy.

Yours, maybe. Mine would never suffice.

Freeman is just insurance in case one of our middle IFs gets hurt. Nothing more.

And if the bullpen falters at some point and the FO is in search of another top-flight RP later this season, no reason to believe Alzolay would not be offered up in the right deal. It's a long season. Stuff happens.
I'm starting to feel giddy about Underwood again. Am I naive? Great night overall for our young pitchers.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/05/24...ching-day/
No, he's been very good.  Man, that is a nasty curve Lange has.

Another nice outing from Underwood.  Can't believe he's still only 23.

He was only 20 back when he first showed up on top prospect lists, which was a few years ago and before the injuries started, but yeah, it is hard to believe he is still so young. Bring him.
Yeah, I'm fairly certain he was drafted out of HS.