Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
If he stays hot and starts 2016 at AAA, then late 2016 might even be a possibility depending on what the team's needs are.

Do we have any scrappy guys coming up? We need a scrappy guy.

I wish we had Tough Tony.

Szczur is the embodiment of scrappitude.

Quote:Szczur is the embodiment of scrappitude.
He's six feet tall.
Yeah, i'm not sure he really counts.

He looks small for a 6 footer, and I barely clear 5' myself.

lol

Quote:He looks small for a 6 footer, and I barely clear 5' myself.
Liar. You're 5'5" if you're a foot.
It's the hair.

[Image: 1411520412-AlbumCoverWayneCochranWEBSITE.jpg]

That's a beehive. And I nominate Stephen Bruno as the next mayor of Scrappytown.

Quote:Javier Baez has played some second base, third base and shortstop this season.

The versatile infielder isn’t ruling out adding even another position to his resume.

Baez said he would welcome the idea to playing outfield, an idea that he said he’s even talked to Iowa manager Marty Pevey about.

“When I started playing third, I told them I like to play the outfield, too,” Baez said. “So I’m just going to try it out and see how it goes.

“I’m really good at the outfield.”

The 22-year-old Baez has spent his career bouncing around the infield ever since the Chicago Cubs selected him in the first round of the 2011 draft.

<div>But Baez, who grew up playing some outfield, hasn’t given up on his old position. He even has a glove for the outfield and has spent time there during batting practice, including Tuesday.

Baez said there have been talks in the past that he could see playing time there, but Pevey said he didn’t have any plans to use the youngster outside of the infield. Baez left the door open on it, especially if he gets another promotion.

“They talked about it, but it wasn’t really in their plans,” Baez said. “But we’ll see what happens we go up there (to Chicago).”

When or if that time comes this season remains to be seen but Baez has made an interesting case with his versatility throughout the infield and his big bat, which has produced a .290 batting average with 11 doubles and 11 homers in 50 games with Iowa this season.

It’s been a season full of ups and downs for Baez, who missed the start of the season following the death of his sister Noely. Baez then got off to a good start to the season and was making a case for a return to Chicago. Those hopes were put on hold after Baez landed on the disabled list with a non-disclosed fracture in his left ring finger.

Baez, who made his big league debut last season, struggled in 52 big league games in 2014 and then again in spring training this year, forcing the Cubs to send him back to the minor leagues.

“I had a rough year last year and this year has been tough on me because of the injuries I’ve had,” Baez said. “But you know — there’s nothing you can do about it. You’ve just got to come back and keep it going.”

<div>Baez has since cooled off and for the first time this season struggled, tallying just two hits in his last 22 at-bats in his last six games.

“I’m seeing the ball really good and I’ve been working on letting the ball get deep and that’s what I’m trying to take into games,” he said.

Pevey said he’s happy with Baez’s at-bats.

“His approach in BP is outstanding,” Pevey said.

If Baez does get hot again, what will happen to him? The Cubs already have Kris Bryant at third and have moved Addison Russell to shortstop. Starlin Castro reportedly fielded grounders before Tuesday’s game at second and third.

“I don’t really pay attention to what’s going on up there,” Baez said. I’m just trying to play my game and get better myself.”

Versatility and a willingness to look at different positions is something many young Cub players have already been exposed to. Bryant has gotten some time in the outfield. Catcher Kyle Schwarber has played out there, too. Russell, who began the season at second, has moved back to shortstop, a spot he began the season at and has come through the minor league ranks at.

“For me, no matter where I play, as long as we’re winning games and I’m helping the team, that’s all that really matters,” he said.
</div>
</div>

Link

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
"Baez said he would welcome the idea to playing outfield..."

Cut him some slack. English isn't his first language.

The reporter's?

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer