Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Interesting..looks like Law had Ian Happ as an honorable mention in his midseason Top 50.

Jonathan Martinez--our Darwin Barney return--continues to look great at Myrtle Beach (granted with a lowish K rate).

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Soriano: 3Ks, 1 single in AAA debut.

Wada: 6IP, 0 walks, 5K, 5 hits, 0ER.
Signature.
So, are we going to end getting lucky with Soriano?

He'll be more dependable than EJax, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.

--Veryzer

Jackson has to be the odd man out when Soriano is ready. Shockingly, I'm ok with that.

I'm assuming Wada comes back and takes Richards spot. How much longer do you think they keep Soriano and Wada down? Also, I know he hasn't been hitting, but, it seems Olt could have been brought back up by now. Do you think he is being kept down so he can play everyday and be showcased?
Quote:I'm assuming Wada comes back and takes Richards spot. How much longer do you think they keep Soriano and Wada down? Also, I know he hasn't been hitting, but, it seems Olt could have been brought back up by now. Do you think he is being kept down so he can play everyday and be showcased?
Within the next week I assume Wada will replace Richards and Jackson will be given his walking papers so that Soriano can join the bullpen.

I'm pretty sure the ship has sailed with Olt. There's very little trade value there and he's not better than Coghlan. 
Jackson's shitcanning has been predicted for *years*. He's never leaving.

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Runnys" data-cid="254284" data-time="1437135200">
<div>
I'm assuming Wada comes back and takes Richards spot. How much longer do you think they keep Soriano and Wada down? Also, I know he hasn't been hitting, but, it seems Olt could have been brought back up by now. Do you think he is being kept down so he can play everyday and be showcased?
Within the next week I assume Wada will replace Richards and Jackson will be given his walking papers so that Soriano can join the bullpen.

I'm pretty sure the ship has sailed with Olt. There's very little trade value there and he's not better than Coghlan. 

</div>
</blockquote>
But, is moving Bryant to LF and having Olt's defense at 3rd base better for the team?  
I think Olt still has value to us as a power bench bat and someone who can fill in for both KB and Rizzo and occasionally in a corner OF spot. His value to another team is probably negligible though.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Coldneck" data-cid="254286" data-time="1437140911">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Runnys" data-cid="254284" data-time="1437135200">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>
But, is moving Bryant to LF and having Olt's defense at 3rd base better for the team?  

</div>
</blockquote>

No. His MLB defense seems to have rated average at best, and his MLB offense has been horrible (whereas Coghlan has been netter than average). He's currently striking out in Iowa at a 27.5% rate. I want the guy to pan out as much as anyone, but the odds are long against it.
--Veryzer

Update (sort of) on Baez. Still a few weeks away according to the Iowa manager.

Quote: 

Is Javier Baez close to returning to the Iowa Cubs?

Tommy Birch, tbirch@dmreg.com | 4:14 p.m. CDT July 18, 2015

Fans have been waiting and waiting for Javier Baez's return to the Iowa Cubs.

Well, they'll probably have to wait a little longer.

Iowa manager Marty Pevey gave an estimate on when the hard-hitting infielder could return to action after landing on the disabled list with a non-displaced fracture in his left ring finger.

"Honestly, just guessing and it's just a guess, I would say probably…. I'm going to say two and a half, three weeks," Pevey said of Baez's possible return.

Baez hasn't played in a game since suffering the injury sliding into second base during Iowa's June 7 contest. The injury couldn't have come at a worse time for Baez, who was hitting .314 with seven doubles, eight homers and was rumored to be close to being called back up to Chicago.

After landing on the disabled list, Baez said he was told he could be out anywhere from four to eight weeks. Baez was placed on the disabled list on June 8. He will have been on it exactly six weeks come July 20.

Baez, a 22-year-old first-round pick by the Cubs in 2011, has rapidly risen through the minor leagues and made his major-league debut in 2014. The young slugger struggled in the promotion hitting just .169 with 95 strikeouts in 52 games. Those struggles continued into Spring Training, leading the Cubs to send Baez back to the minors.

It's been a tough season for Baez, who has been limited to just 37 games and missed the start of the season following the death of his sister, Noely. Baez said last month he hoped to return from his injury quickly.

"It depends how fast it heels," Baez said the day after suffering his injury. "Hopefully it goes fast, and I come back right away."
https://twitter.com/TommyBirch/status/62...4098207744
So much for him being a trade piece now.