Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Not sure why I thought we were more than 1 week away from that road portion starting, but that makes sense. I would think that if Baez returns it will be permanent, so doubt the FO would want him on such an aggressive timetable at 3B just for a couple of games.
I realize that managing service time can't always be the primary consideration, but come on. One game? Let him cure a little linger.

If I had to guess, I'm thinking Baez may be recalled around June 17, the start of a span in which the Cubs play 11 out of 15 games on the road.  I suspect they might not want to bring him back during the June 11-16 homestand because if he strikes out a couple of times to start off, the meatheads will start booing.  That also starts off with 5 games on the road vs. AL teams (2 at Cleveland, 3 at Minnesota), so there will be a need for a DH.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Quote:If I had to guess, I'm thinking Baez may be recalled around June 17, the start of a span in which the Cubs play 11 out of 15 games on the road.  I suspect they might not want to bring him back during the June 11-16 homestand because if he strikes out a couple of times to start off, the meatheads will start booing.  That also starts off with 5 games on the road vs. AL teams (2 at Cleveland, 3 at Minnesota), so there will be a need for a DH.
That was the AL road trip I was thinking of.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Kid" data-cid="248810" data-time="1433350613">
If I had to guess, I'm thinking Baez may be recalled around June 17, the start of a span in which the Cubs play 11 out of 15 games on the road.  I suspect they might not want to bring him back during the June 11-16 homestand because if he strikes out a couple of times to start off, the meatheads will start booing.  That also starts off with 5 games on the road vs. AL teams (2 at Cleveland, 3 at Minnesota), so there will be a need for a DH.
That was the AL road trip I was thinking of.

</blockquote>
Nice save.
Looks like he'll be starting at 3rd today.

I just want to drink beer and play atari
Oh my.
I'm actually OK with this. We need another threat in our lineup. What I thought was going to be the second coming of murderer's row is basically a two-man offense lately.

Of course...he could revert to all of his bad habits, but I like that the FO is going for it...

Ryan Williams was promoted from low-A straight up to AA. He debuted and had a mixed day going 5.1 innings for 6 hits, 3 earned runs, 4 k's and 1 BB. He must have taken Corey Black's place in the rotation. Speaking of which Black debuted in the bullpen and went 2 shutout innings with 3 k's. I believe he'll besolid in this role and could make a run for our bullpen come September.

Schwarber also went 3-4 today with 3 RBI's. 

Jah VY with a single and a K so far.

This team desperately needs an offensive boost. Bring them.
Also, in case anyone was wondering how Javy performed in his 3B audition, per Cubs Den:

Quote:All eyes were on Javier Baez at 3B and he got 6 chances -- and handled them all well. He came in on a slow roller, fielded one to his right, had to go back on a ball, and start a double play -- but the best play may have been on a hard hit grounder down the line which Baez backhanded deep bey0nd the 3B bag and fired a rocket to first for the out. He also made a great play on a high throw to 3B which he jumped to snare and in one motion swooped to make the tag -- the runner was safe, but the athleticism was impressive. If there was one thing he didn't do flawlessly, it was that his throws were sometimes slightly off line, perhaps because he is adjusting to the new angle. But no throw was far enough to pull Villanueva off the bag. Oh yeah, the good ABs were still there. Baez went 1 for 3, scalding a single to the right of the CF'er, drew a walk, and got hit by a pitch.
I don't doubt he can handle 3rd.  Good to see he got on base three times too.

Baez 0-5 with 4 K. AA 1-2 with 3BB. Villanueva 2-4 with 3RBI. No errors for any of them at their new positions. Also Schwarber 2-4 with 2RBI and Denorfia 1-3 with RBI and BB. Hopefully we see some promotions soon, but would like to see Baez have another good stretch where he isn't striking out anywhere near as much first.
Quote:Baez 0-5 with 4 K. AA 1-2 with 3BB. Villanueva 2-4 with 3RBI. No errors for any of them at their new positions. Also Schwarber 2-4 with 2RBI and Denorfia 1-3 with RBI and BB. Hopefully we see some promotions soon, but would like to see Baez have another good stretch where he isn't striking out anywhere near as much first.

He had been doing pretty well.  It's one game.  That is what he is going to do.  He is going to have games where he K's every AB, it's who he is.  The goal is for him to cut them down though.  I still think he will have a K rate of 30%, but, with his offensive potential and defensive talent I think we can live with that.