Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
I think the Cubs' pockets should be deep enough to not worry about paying real money to lock up proven MLB producers when the time comes. If the club is contending then, that makes them a very attractive home for players. What's the value of being a starter for the Cubs when they're perennially competitive...or better still, champions?

I also think that having an overstocked farm says to agents that there are plenty of parts to shuffle around if someone gets greedy. I can see why the Royals might want to lock up a minor leaguer with a huge upside. I'm not sure a major market team that believes it's building to win and keep winning should.

Quote:I think the Cubs' pockets should be deep enough to not worry about paying real money to lock up proven MLB producers when the time comes. If the club is contending then, that makes them a very attractive home for players. What's the value of being a starter for the Cubs when they're perennially competitive...or better still, champions?

I also think that having an overstocked farm says to agents that there are plenty of parts to shuffle around if someone gets greedy. I can see why the Royals might want to lock up a minor leaguer with a huge upside. I'm not sure a major market team that believes it's building to win and keep winning should.

I think that's kind of shortsighted, or at least not completely connected with reality.  I'm not talking about locking up Baez tomorrow.  I'm talking about potentially locking up Baez after 2015 or 2016.  Even so, that would probably be a deal that would only cover through his first year of free agency.

With Bryant, because Boras is his agent, the idea of "attractiveness" probably goes out the window.  Thanks to Boras, you have to assume that he will become a free agent, and that if somebody else offers $1 more than the Cubs, he'll take the $1.  Is it possible that there could be a different result?  Sure, but you have to assume that Boras will push him to get every dollar.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
You think Baez will still be in the minors in 2015 or 2016? I was asking about locking up kids that are still in the minors. We don't need any more Soler contracts. I have much less objection to locking him up in his second or third year of major league service.

Quote:You think Baez will still be in the minors in 2015 or 2016? I was asking about locking up kids that are still in the minors. We don't need any more Soler contracts. I have much less objection to locking him up in his second or third year of major league service.

I said a couple posts back that I wasn't really talking about locking up Baez while he was still a minor leaguer.  It wouldn't shock me if it happened, but I don't expect it.

As for Soler, if you want to play in the Cuban defector market, then the price of doing that is to offer MLB contracts.  It's not a huge risk.  While it's a long-term deal, the financial risk per year isn't that great.  If he flames out, the cost never exceeds $4M/year, and that's only for 2018-20 (he could earn more than that because his contract allows him the greater of the annual price in his contract or arbitration, but obviously if he flames out, he wouldn't get more in arbitration).
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jstraw" data-cid="224996" data-time="1405813185">
<div>
I think the Cubs' pockets should be deep enough to not worry about paying real money to lock up proven MLB producers when the time comes. If the club is contending then, that makes them a very attractive home for players. What's the value of being a starter for the Cubs when they're perennially competitive...or better still, champions?

I think that's kind of shortsighted, or at least not completely connected with reality.  I'm not talking about locking up Baez tomorrow.  I'm talking about potentially locking up Baez after 2015 or 2016.  Even so, that would probably be a deal that would only cover through his first year of free agency.

With Bryant, because Boras is his agent, the idea of "attractiveness" probably goes out the window.  Thanks to Boras, you have to assume that he will become a free agent, and that if somebody else offers $1 more than the Cubs, he'll take the $1.  Is it possible that there could be a different result?  Sure, but you have to assume that Boras will push him to get every dollar.

</div>
</blockquote>

You also have to look at the cumulative effect of saying "Screw it, we are a big market team, what's another $X?"  If you do that with enough players, pretty soon you are talking, $20/30/40M dollars that you are pissing down you leg every year.  It's an incredibly slow process and it may not work but, I think, if you worry about future impacts in every decision you make, it will come together and at some point you have a base of talent built in that is .500 with the ability to add the extra 10-12 wins every year.  
Check it out as I hilariously fail at Cubs blogging.

www.friendly-confines.com
HR Russell

I think Bryant is more likely to be locked up than Baez. However, Bryant/Boras would be less likely to take a deal such as Singleton's because Bryant is a much greater talent.

"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
Quote:I think Bryant is more likely to be locked up than Baez. However, Bryant/Boras would be less likely to take a deal such as Singleton's because Bryant is a much greater talent.

Those sentences pretty much contradict each other entirely.  I agree with the second sentence.  Boras won't let Bryant agree to a Singleton-like deal.
2nd HR for Russell, this one a grand slam.

6 RBI on the day and his Cubs Avg up to .275 now.
Almora also 3-3 today.
Quote:Almora also 3-3 today.

Now 4-4.
Signature.
Baez 3-5 tonight, and his avg is now above .250 which is .100pts higher than it was in May.
I would feel ashamed about all the attention paid to minors if we didn't have so many goddamn fine prospects.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

i look forward to a time when i no longer give a shit about the minor league team, when I go, ooh, who is this sept call I've heard nothing about?