Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
I don't think they were hell bent on Bryant at 3B.  I think they came into the year hoping that Olt could make a case for being a long-term answer at 3B that would have moved Bryant to the OF.  Obviously, that hasn't happened.

I think Baez at 2B is inevitable because they've said Castro is staying at SS, but if they were hell bent on having Baez at 2B, they'd have already moved him in the minors.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Quote:I don't think they were hell bent on Bryant at 3B.  I think they came into the year hoping that Olt could make a case for being a long-term answer at 3B that would have moved Bryant to the OF.  Obviously, that hasn't happened.

I think Baez at 2B is inevitable because they've said Castro is staying at SS, but if they were hell bent on having Baez at 2B, they'd have already moved him in the minors.
This is all prognosticating on my part, but I always felt like they hoped Olt would have some success, then they could flip him for pitching prospects and insert Bryant or Baez at 3B. Still a possibility...Olt will probably need another trip to AAA for that to happen though.
I may need to back off my prediction that they won't look to Alcantara to primarily be an OF after he gets called up.  I just looked it up, and Junior Lake only played 6 minor league games in the OF (all last year) before he got called up.  He hasn't played anything but OF since he was called up.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Never said Valbuena was worthless. He's a bench/role player. At most a platoon player, or a key backup that plays 2-4 times per week. As far as being a top-30 OPS player, you probably could've said the same thing last year after the first two months or so. He had hot May/June this year. That doesn't change what he is.

If they want Alacantara to play 2b, they could platoon Valbuena and Olt at 3b, put Barney on the bench where he belongs (he won't lose value by benching him, that's what he is on a good team), and give Sweeney or Coughlan the heave ho. That leave them with 4 OFs, but Alacantara could play the OF in a pinch, and Valbuena could probably hack LF.

Or, they could put Alacantara CF and hope for the best.

Didn't Lake have almost no starts in the OF before he was called up last season and inserted in CF/LF or am I misremembering?
Schwarber is a beast.  2 more HR last night.  In his professional career (albeit only 14 games) he has an OPS of 1.723.  Kind of a meh start to his career.  Maybe he'll pick things up as he moves through the farm system.

I got nothin'.

Andy
Quote:Didn't Lake have almost no starts in the OF before he was called up last season and inserted in CF/LF or am I misremembering?

Yeah, that's what my last post said.  Lake had 6 career minor league games in the OF.  For some reason, I thought he had primarily played OF last year before his call up.
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="223307" data-time="1404021326">

Didn't Lake have almost no starts in the OF before he was called up last season and inserted in CF/LF or am I misremembering?

Yeah, that's what my last post said.  Lake had 6 career minor league games in the OF.  For some reason, I thought he had primarily played OF last year before his call up.</blockquote>
Completely missed that. I shouldn't post after midnight.

Anyway, I believe Lake also played some OF in winter ball. I could be wrong again.
Quote:I don't think they were hell bent on Bryant at 3B.  I think they came into the year hoping that Olt could make a case for being a long-term answer at 3B that would have moved Bryant to the OF.  Obviously, that hasn't happened.

Baez sticking at SS is in the unlikely event they trade him or Castro or Castro goes down with a serious injury.  Keeping Baez at SS is about maintaining the flexibility to use him as a SS regardless of what that means.  I do believe they were counting on either Olt or Villanueva to make a push to grab the 3B slot in the majors but organizations rarely move a guy off the toughest defensive position a game before they are forced to.

I believe that come May 1, 2015, we will see Rizzo, Baez, Castro, Bryant across the IF, Alcantara in CF and some decent FA corner guys.  Lake will be the 4th OF and Soler may make a July 1 push for a corner slot, either due to ineffectiveness/injury or trade of the FA OF or Alcantara.
Check it out as I hilariously fail at Cubs blogging.

www.friendly-confines.com
Baez 2-3 with a walk.  He's been walking a lot lately it seems.

Kane County's Cael Brockmeyer hit for the cycle today, which included a 9th inning 2 RBI triple.

Quote:Baez 2-3 with a walk.  He's been walking a lot lately it seems.

13% over his last 10 games but he has lost a lot of his power and hasn't homered since June 17.

It's the tradeoff with Baez.  Power or walks.
Check it out as I hilariously fail at Cubs blogging.

www.friendly-confines.com
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="223313" data-time="1404081844">
<div>
Baez 2-3 with a walk.  He's been walking a lot lately it seems.

13% over his last 10 games but he has lost a lot of his power and hasn't homered since June 17.

It's the tradeoff with Baez.  Power or walks.

</div>
</blockquote>
Right now it is. He's in the process of learning how to be more selective. My hope is that once he gets more comfortable with this approach he'll begin to mash again. I'm actually quite pleased with his development this year. 
Manny just went yard. Let the obsessing commence.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Of course he did. *shrug*