Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Who?

https://twitter.com/tombaseball29/status...2471161864
From Keith Law:

Quote:Tuesday brought me over to the Cubs back fields for their A-ball games against the Giants, with the Cubs rolling out a murderers row of prospects their No. 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, and 8 prospects were all playing, while their No. 15 prospect, right-hander Kohl Franklin, made a strong argument that thats about 13 spots too low. Franklin missed all of 2021 with the worlds longest-lasting oblique injury, but he looked unfazed by the time off, working 94-99 with explosive late life and two plus pitches in his power curveball and changeup. He may not pitch that much this year after two years of nothing, so I wouldnt expect him to see the majors until 2023. I hope Tennessee Smokies fans set up Kohl Franklins Nu Nation in the stands when he pitches, though.

Cubs right-hander Richard Gallardo posted a 4.53 ERA last year with unimpressive peripherals in pitcher-friendly Myrtle Beach, but hes seen a velocity jump this spring and was 93-96 in the low-A game with a 55 curveball that he could land for strikes or expand for a chase pitch against right-handed batters, with two-plane break and what looked like big spin. His changeup has a chance to be above-average, with good tumble at 86-87 but some at 89 that were too firm.

Of that group of Cubs hitting prospects, James Triantos, their second pick in the 2021 draft, was the most impressive, attacking early in the count for a hard-hit groundout and then an oppo homer to right-center with big backspin on it off a right-handed reliever. He did swing and miss much it might be apocryphal but the story goes that he only did that once his whole senior year of high school but his bat path is so clean and his hand-eye so good that I feel pretty confident this is a 60 hit tool, if not better.

Outfielder Kevin Alcantara, acquired from the Yankees in the Anthony Rizzo trade, was also impressive in what I think was his first game back after a brief layoff due to injury. The 6-foot-6 centerfielder still has room to put on 25 more pounds, but despite his long levers and some physical immaturity, he controls the bat head well and hit the ball hard in both of his at bats for a pair of singles, showing average speed out of the box that was better underway. He looked like he was trying to stay in the middle of the field, which is great for now, but when he fills out all the way, he should be looking to pull more pitches.

Shortstop Cristian Hernandez is in the U.S. for the first time and showed good hands and a plus arm at shortstop, with better swings than I saw in that one at bat I caught last week. Its a quiet approach and very direct to the ball, producing two hard groundballs in that game, one of which he beat out for a single.

Pete Crow-Armstrong did not look good, punching out three times, missing fastballs up and breaking stuff down, falling down on a back foot breaking ball in one at bat. He might be rusty after missing almost all of 2021 due to injury, of course, which is part of why the Mets were willing to trade him to the Cubs for Javier Báez.
Thanks for this, I was just coming to post that despite the big league club I am super pumped for the scouting reports i've seen on some of these guys, particularly Caissie and Alcantara.  I've read Alcantara has the ceiling of a superstar.

Has Kilian pitched at all during ST? I can't find anything on him, so starting to worry that something might be up.
I dont think so, but honestly i've only heard of some of Wick's appearances and few things about Kohl Franklin.  I'd imagine someone would have raised the issue?

Quote:Has Kilian pitched at all during ST? I can't find anything on him, so starting to worry that something might be up.
Looks like theyre assigning him to Iowa.

I love the fucking Cubs.  Wade Miley, without throwing a single goddamn pitch, down with elbow soreness.

Going to be a long season for Cub fans
#secondcentury

This Palencia kid we got for Chafin is pretty intriguing, starter who consistently hits 100.

Myrtle Beach pitcher Riley Martin with 10ks today.

Can we swap him for Chris Martin?
How about Ricky?

Any former Menudo member will do.

Wonder if the late start has had an effect on the minor league bats as a whole across the league, they've all been ice cold.

Still getting used to the new digs…