Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Well, I get that, and I would be a hypocrite to say that financial considerations shouldn't be a factor in the decision. That said, as a fan first and foremost, it's still hard for me to swallow, especially given the black hole (no offense to Valbuena/Olt) at 3B.
Good news for Edwards. Clean MRI. Hopefully he's on a mound soon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/pos...s-up-clean
I'd like to Bryant go to Iowa soon.  If he does well, then the Cubs can call him up in September for a few weeks.  Odds are good he'll need to work on something next spring though (changing positions to the outfield or his defense at third would either be adequate public excuses), so in 2015 they leave him in Iowa to start the season until, oh, June 1 or so. 

That way Bryant gets a taste this season and figures out what he needs to work on, his first taste of the majors would come at a time when he is less likely to be branded the Great Saviour Of The Franchise by stupid sportswriters expecting he will singlehandedly carry the Cubs to the playoffs, he gets a chance to work on any changes to his game back in Iowa out of the Wrigley spotlight, and the Cubs get their extra year of control.

And I'd handle the Baez the same way (assuming Baez is playing pretty well in the second half of the season with Iowa).

And, to be honest, I'd probably handle Alcantara the same way as well.

Quote:I'd like to Bryant go to Iowa soon.  If he does well, then the Cubs can call him up in September for a few weeks.  Odds are good he'll need to work on something next spring though (changing positions to the outfield or his defense at third would either be adequate public excuses), so in 2015 they leave him in Iowa to start the season until, oh, June 1 or so. 

That way Bryant gets a taste this season and figures out what he needs to work on, his first taste of the majors would come at a time when he is less likely to be branded the Great Saviour Of The Franchise by stupid sportswriters expecting he will singlehandedly carry the Cubs to the playoffs, he gets a chance to work on any changes to his game back in Iowa out of the Wrigley spotlight, and the Cubs get their extra year of control.

And I'd handle the Baez the same way (assuming Baez is playing pretty well in the second half of the season with Iowa).

I still think calling up Manny with Baez and Bryant would go a long ways in distracting the media-eeple (dumb play on sheeple) away from Baez and Bryant.

Sure it'd be a circus but ANYTHING to let these guys ease in a bit.
Check it out as I hilariously fail at Cubs blogging.

www.friendly-confines.com
But the FO has already made it clear Manny has no place on the team. They didn't sign him to call him up or create a distraction.
Quote:But the FO has already made it clear Manny has no place on the team. They didn't sign him to call him up or create a disteaction.
He can create the disteation on his own, or at least I'm assuming he can since I have no idea what that word means :poke:

Besides the FO promised no cookies would be given, and that would be one hell of a cookie.
Distraction. Fixed.
Quote:I'd like to Bryant go to Iowa soon.  If he does well, then the Cubs can call him up in September for a few weeks.  Odds are good he'll need to work on something next spring though (changing positions to the outfield or his defense at third would either be adequate public excuses), so in 2015 they leave him in Iowa to start the season until, oh, June 1 or so. 

Kris Bryant will not sniff the majors this season, even if he puts of the same numbers in Iowa. This is his first full season in pro-ball. Let's slow down a little.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
He needs to be where the pitching challenges him.

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Luke" data-cid="221152" data-time="1401853236">
<div>
I'd like to Bryant go to Iowa soon.  If he does well, then the Cubs can call him up in September for a few weeks.  Odds are good he'll need to work on something next spring though (changing positions to the outfield or his defense at third would either be adequate public excuses), so in 2015 they leave him in Iowa to start the season until, oh, June 1 or so. 

Kris Bryant will not sniff the majors this season, even if he puts of the same numbers in Iowa. This is his first full season in pro-ball. Let's slow down a little.

</div>
</blockquote>

As long as he produces in AAA and a September call up doesn't start up his service time clock, could see Luke's timeline.  All of this assumes that Kris continues to produce which is a big assumption. 
I find it hard to imagine that they call him up to the majors with the expectation that he will ever be back in the minors.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I think you guys are over-thinking the service time issue. If Bryant is ready, he'll be up. All super two status means is that he'll an extra year of arbitration. Big whoop, the Cubs aren't the Rays or Astros and probably would make up the cost of arbitration on jersey sales alone.

Quote:I think you guys are over-thinking the service time issue. If Bryant is ready, he'll be up. All super two status means is that he'll an extra year of arbitration. Big whoop, the Cubs aren't the Rays or Astros and probably would make up the cost of arbitration on jersey sales alone.

If he continues to progress, they may not wait until the Super Two deadline, but I do think service time plays into this to the extent they're not going to call him up until he can't get enough service time to qualify for free agency until after the 2021 season.  That happens sometime in May.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I don't think he'll be called up for the simple fact that he'd take a spot on the 40 man. I'm sure they're going to want to keep as many spots open as possible for the offseason. 

There's is no reason for the Cubs to call him up this season. They are not in a race and do not need him. He is still putting up these numbers in AA. If he gets to AAA and does this again, then it warrants a discussion. AAA is a whole different ball game compared to AA

"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit