Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CFOrfan" data-cid="217846" data-time="1399656724">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Dirk" data-cid="217801" data-time="1399643592">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Andy" data-cid="217800" data-time="1399643107">
<div>
Is it possible Bryant will be the first of the big names we'll see in the majors?

In AA his OPS is 1.067.
Baez destroyed A-AA last year too but there's something different about Bryant. He just doesn't struggle; just shows up and calmly starts hitting on day 1. Still think Baez makes first though. Baez seems like he's one hot streak away.

</div>
</blockquote>
From what I've seen, Bryant actually has a plan and approach to ABs. Baez has none. Baez lets ptichers attack him and waits for a mistake, while Bryant goes out to attack pitchers and gets HIS pitch.

</div>
</blockquote>
I'm ok with another Soriano in the lineup.

</div>
</blockquote>

If Baez could turn out a Soriano-esque career, that would be awesome.

I only have seen him for 3 PA but he did seem pretty squirrely to swing the bat.  I think Bryant and Baez get called up at the same time or very close together so Bryant can take some of the attention off of Baez and he can hopefully settle in quickly.
Check it out as I hilariously fail at Cubs blogging.

www.friendly-confines.com
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="nakedman1664" data-cid="217855" data-time="1399659670">
<div>
Let's place bets now: who has the better career, Bryant or Baez?

That's though. Bryant definitely has the lower floor while Baez has a HoF ceiling.

</div>
</blockquote>

I think you mean higher floor.  Bryant's approach and (so far as we can tell so far) batting eye are far superior to Baez.  He'll probably be in RF and Baez at 2B so if they both hit their ceilings Baez has the superior value but Baez's floor is Brett Jackson.

Bryant had 4 years of college. Of course he's ahead of Baez in terms of approach and polish. It's kind of myopic to look at a 22 year old kid (who's already in AAA, no less) and assume he's peaked in terms of development.

Quote:Bryant had 4 years of college. Of course he's ahead of Baez in terms of approach and polish. It's kind of myopic to look at a 22 year old kid (who's already in AAA, no less) and assume he's peaked in terms of development.

I'm not saying that in the slightest.  Bryant has always received praises for his polish.  Just pointing out that it is a flaw for Baez right now...on top of the K's and lack of walks.  My biggest fear is that he will go into a death spiral with his approach at the MLB level and not recover until he is released by the Cubs and the Cardinals sign him on a minor league deal.

Although if the Ks are caused by his approach and he can settle in after a month or two and realize he doesn't need to go balls deep on every swing then *MAYBE* his Tennessee K/BB ratio is accurate and then he's Totes Magotes.

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Dirk" data-cid="217863" data-time="1399660567">
<div>
Bryant had 4 years of college. Of course he's ahead of Baez in terms of approach and polish. It's kind of myopic to look at a 22 year old kid (who's already in AAA, no less) and assume he's peaked in terms of development.

I'm not saying that in the slightest.  Bryant has always received praises for his polish.  Just pointing out that it is a flaw for Baez right now...on top of the K's and lack of walks.  My biggest fear is that he will go into a death spiral with his approach at the MLB level and not recover until he is released by the Cubs and the Cardinals sign him on a minor league deal.

Although if the Ks are caused by his approach and he can settle in after a month or two and realize he doesn't need to go balls deep on every swing then *MAYBE* his Tennessee K/BB ratio is accurate and then he's Totes Magotes.

</div>
</blockquote>

Baez did go 0-2 with 2 walks and 0 Ks yesterday...so I guess that's good. I'm scared to death that he's just going to bomb in the majors, just because of his error and K rate. But that's just my normal Cubs' pessimism talking. Plus Baez always seems to start slow, before just exploding midway through the summer. Hopefully we'll experience that again this year when he's in Iowa.

I did read this on twitter today about Bryant: Kris Bryant's southern league ranks: Hits (2nd) 2b (6th) HRs(1st) RBI (4th) TB (1st) BB(9th) OBP (3rd) SLG(1st) AVG(3rd) OPS(1st).

***Shwing***

I just want to drink beer and play atari
It just doesn't appear Bryant is being challenged at all in AA. He should definitely be in Iowa sometime soon.
Signature.
Should be interesting to see which position he ends up playing (LF?) once he does get promoted. Isn't Villanueva still struggling at Iowa?
I saw. Baez a couple of weekends ago and he didn't make solid contact once. Well, once, but it was a grounder to the left side of 3B.
"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Quote:Should be interesting to see which position he ends up playing (LF?) once he does get promoted. Isn't Villanueva still struggling at Iowa?

I've heard he has a solid arm so you'd think RF if he can't stick long term at 3B.

Soler has the better arm, so if he works out he'd be the RF and Bryant in left.
Signature.
Another Bryant HR.

Soler has been looking pretty good since returning too. But there is just no stopping Bryant right now.
Signature.
Bruno is having quite a year too.

We finally have a catching prospect - Will Remillard. He might as well buy a plane ticket to Daytona as the Mid West isn't doing much for him. Great debut for the Cubs.

Get that man a ticket to Des Moines; Kris Bryant - 3 for 5 with 3 RBI's and a HBP.

Jorge Soler going well too - 2 for 5, both doubles, 4 RBI's and a BB.