Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
I'm sure most of you saw this BN post, but wow from Keith Law regarding Edwards?

Quote:Potential star. Weight/durability will be an issue, but he's athletic and does it all very easy.

Quote:I didn't see John's piece, but I can completely understand that point of view. Velocity doesn't make the pitcher and Edwards has a far better breaking ball. Syndergaard is much further along, which balances things out somewhat.
Jason Parks then poo-pooed the concept saying Edwards and Syndergaard don't belong in the same sentence together.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Until he makes it to AA (he's already 22) and is lights out, I will remain a little skeptical.
On the other side, this was only his 2nd year and he started in Rookie ball because he was selected in the 48th round.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Quote:Jason Parks then poo-pooed the concept saying Edwards and Syndergaard don't belong in the same sentence together.
Yeah I saw.  What else is new..shit in my cornflakes Keith Law calls him a potential star and Parks pisses in it.
No AZFL for Baez after all. He'll start 2014 in AAA though.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=...c&c_id=chc
Quote:No AZFL for Baez after all. He'll start 2014 in AAA though.

So we'll see him in June?
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="209736" data-time="1379646259">
<div>
No AZFL for Baez after all. He'll start 2014 in AAA though.

So we'll see him in June?

</div>
</blockquote>
I think that all depends on if/where he is going to move positions to and how he looks this winter in Arizona (working out with the Cubs not AZL), but, yes, June seems like a reasonable time-frame (assuming not setbacks).

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
I think the plan is to have him breathing down Castro's neck. I'm on board with that.

Castro's bat doesn't play very well anywhere else. A .300 AVG .330-40 OBP plays very well at SS though. If they want to keep Castro, Baez will be the one to move. My biggest dream would be for Baez to move to 2B and Bryant be able to stay at 3B. What will probably end up happening though is Bryant moving to LF and Baez moving to 3B with Valbuena and Barney splitting time at 2B where Valbuena's bat will play very well.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Why not move Castro to 2B? Fuck Barney and Valbuena.
Quote:Why not move Castro to 2B? Fuck Barney and Valbuena.
If we use last years numbers for Castro, where he was the 9th best offensive SS in the majors*, and compare them to this year's 2B he drops down to ... well that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. With last years numbers, he would have ranked as the 14th best 2B this year.

*based on wRC+

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
I guess it also depends on how legit a prospect Alcantara is at 2B. When Phil Rogers starts crushing on a player, I have to re-calibrate my expectations downward.
Wouldn't the smart move be keeping Baez at SS at AAA, hope Castro rebounds and Baez can hack it at SS, then maybe trade Castro at the deadline or before start of the 2015 season? (For SP.) It's not like there's a bunch of SS's who can hit a little out there, and having two would be a big advantage.

AFL started.  Good debut from Bryant.  Rivero struck out the side, including Byron Buxton.  Starting to think he's a future closer.  He had a great second half this past year.