Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Soft tosser isn't he?  He lives by location I believe.

Sounds like Maddux. If he's even 1/4 of the pitcher he was, he can be around a long time. Obviously BIG if.
Quote:Sounds like Maddux. If he's even 1/4 of the pitcher he was, he can be around a long time. Obviously BIG if.
If he's a solid #4 for a few years I'd be happy with that for a Dempster rental.
5 Smokies players were named on the Southern League Post Season All Stars team. So 1/3 of the team named is dominated by Cubs players:-

Baez

Villenuva

Alcantara

Szczur

Hendricks

This is a huge indication on how far our farm system has progressed. The White Sox, Diamond Backs and the Rays had two players named. The Braves, Dodgers and Brewers only had one player.

Did Spellcheck and Villanueva really deserve the honors? I thought they were having so-so years.
Villanueva leads the league in doubles and has come on pretty strong in the second half.  I believe he has 16 or 17 HRs. 

Daytona advance to the championship winning two games to nil over Dunedin. They also went two outs shy of a combined no hitter through Edwards and Searle. Searle gave up two singles in the 9th. C.J Edwards struck out 8 with 1 walk over 5 innings.

Bryant killed them over two days going 5 for 6 with 4 RBIs and a BB.

Edwards has really impressed me.  

Quote:Edwards has really impressed me.  
This again.
Daytona wins the Florida State League title, 4 - 0.

Edwards threw 5 shut out innings with 1 hit, 2 BB's and 3 SO's.

Searle threw 4 shut out, no hit innings for the save.

Baez with a two run HR.

Is there any concern about Edwards being just a 5-6 inning guy? Seems to be a pattern here, though aside from the great peripherals.
Quote:Is there any concern about Edwards being just a 5-6 inning guy? Seems to be a pattern here, though aside from the great peripherals.
I assumed it was just because he's in AA and 21.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="209299" data-time="1378781014">
<div>
Is there any concern about Edwards being just a 5-6 inning guy? Seems to be a pattern here, though aside from the great peripherals.
I assumed it was just because he's in AA and 21.

</div>
</blockquote>
That's my guess as well.  Most pitchers at those levels seem to be on innings limits.
It's also only his second year at playing professional ball and he was playing for Texas's A team before he was traded to the Cubs where we put him straight into High A Daytona.