Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Quote:Does anyone else think his swing will have to be changed quite a bit at the ML level?  That leg kick is very high, and he has quite a bit of extra movement.
Yea, it looks very, very aggressive and he will probably strike out a ton with that swing.  But he has crazy bat speed so what the hell do I know.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
His swing also looks very long, but the results are there so I'm not going to nitpick.

Daytona has had 3 straight rainouts. 

I doubt they try to change much with the swing until it fails him. His approach is the main thing right now and it appears as if he is taking it to heart and cutting down on the Ks.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Quote:Daytona has had 3 straight rainouts. 
One of which was a double header. So 4 rainouts in 3 days. That has to be some kind of a record.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Coldneck" data-cid="208833" data-time="1377262973">
<div>
One of which was a double header. So 4 rainouts in 3 days. That has to be some kind of a record.

</div>
</blockquote>
I don't know the numbers, but I know they've been rained out a shit load this season.  I'd assume its a record amount of rainouts this year.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Coldneck" data-cid="208833" data-time="1377262973">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

Yea, they haven't played since Sunday. Crazy.

Meanwhile, in Tennessee...their magic number is 3 for division champs (second half).

I just want to drink beer and play atari
Quote:Does anyone else think his swing will have to be changed quite a bit at the ML level?  That leg kick is very high, and he has quite a bit of extra movement.

Not at all. Any wasted movement is not hugely concerning because of his swing speed. I've heard many comparisons to Sheffield and there's even this video to show as evidence that you can have success even with such flaws as long as you can get the bat through the zone quickly enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqpuDvL_FfU
Well this is nice to see.  This article compared the first pro action of all the 1M+ bonus players in this year's draft.   The first article focuses on position players.  Guess who is number 1?

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/8/23...tee-update

Oh and Baez with only one HR...oh well.

http://smokiesonradio.com/2013/08/27/vid...alf-title/

Quote:Well this is nice to see.  This article compared the first pro action of all the 1M+ bonus players in this year's draft.   The first article focuses on position players.  Guess who is number 1?

Also, despite the shortened season, it was good to see that Hanneman performed relatively well, especially considering he was the lowest pick and lowest bonus of the group. I hope that shortstop for the Cardinals falls out of relevance quickly.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="208986" data-time="1377624675">
<div>
Well this is nice to see.  This article compared the first pro action of all the 1M+ bonus players in this year's draft.   The first article focuses on position players.  Guess who is number 1?

Also, despite the shortened season, it was good to see that Hanneman performed relatively well, especially considering he was the lowest pick and lowest bonus of the group. I hope that shortstop for the Cardinals falls out of relevance quickly.

</div>
</blockquote>
I wonder what it is they see in Hanneman.  Lot of people seem to think the brass has a major hard on for him.  Maybe another Ellsbury type?
Kyle Hendricks - a possible rotation candidate next year? 13-3 1.96 ERA is pretty to look at. He doesn't strike to many out but he doesn't walk many either. Probably will be minor league pitcher of the year. Just had another good start for Iowa today.

Earlier in the year, he was striking players out at a very good rate. I think the guy has a feel for pitching and understands how to get guys out with a strikeout or with a groundout. I think that will be enough to make him a back end starter. Whether he truly has the stuff to be a decent strikeout pitcher will be the limiting factor on success beyond a back end starter.

Even at Iowa, he's still striking out about 7 per 9.  That's pretty solid.  Better than I thought, to be honest.

I don't think he'll be like some of the previous Cubs minor league pitcher of the year types and fizzle out.  He's already done well at the AA and AAA level.  I wonder if he gets a call up in September.  He won't be in the AZL Fall league, so he'll have plenty of time to recover going into next season.  I guess the only issue is that he'd have to get put on the 40-man.

I got nothin'.

Andy