Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Dingo" data-cid="208263" data-time="1376723696">
<div>
I'm expecting a HBP next to Baez name next time he comes up against Chatanooga.

Very impressive still to hit a home run totally off balance like that.

I agree...this kid has a little hotdog in him.

</div>
</blockquote>
You have a little hot dog for him, don't you....don't you?
More like cocktail wiener.  

If any of the youngsters get the Cubs a WS title....They're be getting a lot more than that from me.

(I actually don't even know what that means).

I just want to drink beer and play atari
Another solid Baez outing from yesterday: 3-4, 2 2B, 1BB and 0Ks. Now hitting .298 in Tennessee.

I was listening to The Score yesterday and Berstein got an updated scouting report from Baseball Prospectus' Jason Parks on Baez. Parks said that he ranks Baez as the Cubs' prospect with the highest ceiling (some rank Almora higher), even though he was viewed as a high-risk player. His tools are very loud, with elite bat speed at the plate and excellent hands in the field. But his one-speed approach to all aspects of his game painted a picture of an immature player. A prospect that might spoil his future before he has a chance to blossom. The blossoming that was much anticipated is now taking place after the promotion to AA, where he already has 26 extra base hits in his first 40 games. Double A is a separatation level, where the pretenders are exposed and future major league players are uncovered. It's a small sample but a positive developmental step. Baez is showing that he's not only prepared for the test, but talented enough to excel against much older and wiser competition. He could be a Star...a role 7 type. With a middle-of-the-order bat and leftside chops in the field. Whatever his role may be, the Cubs have an extremely valuable commodity in Baez.

Anyone else get wood while reading that????

I just want to drink beer and play atari
I'll take a 7 type all day every day. That would make him top 2% in baseball.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Somebody needs to explain was a 7 type / role 7 player is. I've never heard that before.

Quote:Somebody needs to explain was a 7 type / role 7 player is. I've never heard that before.
Was gonna say. No clue here.
It's the Scout's scale 20-80 with the 0 left off the end. Basically he is saying that he will be a perennial all-star.

The question was posed in the comments and Parks answered with this:

Quote: 

Roles (or player distinctions based on the 2/8 scale) 

Role 4: Up/down player/utility/middle relief
Role:5: Average major leaguer/number 4 starter types/7th-8th inning reliever
Role 6: First-division player/number two-three starters/closers
Role 7: All-stars; number one/two starters/elite closers
Role 8: Best player in the game
"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
I just wonder what the FO views as a time table for these guys. 

Does Baez begin next year on AA again with a shot of making the club after a month or so?  Does he start at Iowa?  Does he have an opportunity to start with the Cubs coming out of ST?

With Bryant killing High A (and D1 college probably being at least High A), does he start next season at AA?  Will he sniff the roster in 2014?  Do you give him some time off rather than playing AZL Fall league?

Will Soler be able to recover?  Will he start again in AA?

Does Almora move up to High A or AA next season?

Are we looking at a 2015 season with all the big names ready?

I got nothin'.

Andy
Sadly, even if most of these guys make it by late 2014/early 2015, their development/improvement will not be linear. Should be an exciting team to watch, but still a long ways off from being serious contenders. I think that's when my patience will start being tested.
Baez continues to impress me and I think the sky is the limit. He's improving as he goes up in class and that's an excellent sign. I would be disappointed if he doesn't get a cup of coffee in Chicago at the end of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up earning his way to Chicago in June or July either.

I'd guess Bryant begins at Tenn next season with a potential Sept call up to Chicago if he continues to mash.

I think Soler's starting point depends on whether he's ready for winter leagues and how he actually performs. Based on him playing very little over the past few years I'd not be surprised to see him back at Daytona. If he does well in Winter League ball I could see him begin at AA. I think Daytona is more likely though with a quick call up to Tenn. 

I don't know the status of Almora's injury. I'd have to think that Daytona would be where he starts given his success at Kane County. I would be surprised if he skipped High A and went straight to Tenn. That said, who knows what happens if he destroys a winter league somewhere. I'd have to think he'll play winter league since he's had so few at bats this season.

I could see Baez coming up in July with Bryant following in August/Sept. Bryant starting in AA and Baez in AAA. Bryant would have to be fairly hiccup free to make it before roster expansion.

Soler I could see starting at AA again next year to get his feet wet. His is a little different situation. For starters his clock doesn't matter due to his major league contract already being signed. Also, he spent a long time away from the game while trying to make it stateside. Add to that he played this year (since spring training) with a fractured leg until it got unbearable after fouling a pitch off on it. After starting at AA next year I see him spending the rest of the year at AAA with (maybe) a cup of coffee when rosters expand just so he gets a feel of it and if all goes well starting with the club out of spring training in 2015.

My hopes on Almora is to start at A+ and move up to AA by years end with the hopes of making the team late 2015 or 2016.

By the time 2016 roles around hopefully we will have the DH and Vogs is still going strong and can fill that role.

In reality at least one of these players will flame out and someone will have a hiccup in their progression.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
I guess Coldneck and I are pretty much on the same page on this one.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Quote:By the time 2016 roles around hopefully we will have the DH

Blasphemer.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CubbieBlues" data-cid="208636" data-time="1377012358">
<div>
By the time 2016 roles around hopefully we will have the DH

Blasphemer.

</div>
</blockquote>
I used to be against the DH too. Now I don't care anymore. My reasoning was based on nostalgia. Now I just want the leagues to be the same. With offense being depressed so much as it is, the DH may be an easy route for improvement.