Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Not to be left out, Soler 2-5 with a HR too.

After going 2 for 4 yesterday, Baez is now hitting over .280.

I wonder if he just suffered from Aramis Ramirez syndrome....can't hit when it's below 60 degrees early in the season.

I just want to drink beer and play atari
He's young and its a pitching league.  I think he had some unfair expectations placed on him.  Hopefully he keeps it up.

Meanwhile BJax is well on his way toward becoming completely irrelevant and old for the minors.
Quote:Meanwhile BJax is well on his way toward becoming completely irrelevant and old for the minors.
He just got a bunt single!  Feels like the first time he's seen a base in weeks.

Maples 5 IP/7K/3BB/0ER

Quote:Meanwhile BJax is well on his way toward becoming completely irrelevant and old for the minors.

Yup. He's done. Probably Vitters too. That's two more 1st round picks that didn't pan out.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="205052" data-time="1370306597">
<div>
Meanwhile BJax is well on his way toward becoming completely irrelevant and old for the minors.

Yup. He's done. Probably Vitters too. That's two more 1st round picks that didn't pan out.

</div>
</blockquote>
At least we still have Hayden Simpson ...
"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Coldneck" data-cid="205062" data-time="1370356634">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="205052" data-time="1370306597">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

</div>
</blockquote>
:-) Nope. He was released.
Quote: 

<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

Though Vitters has been hurt most of the year, his approach has been good for the time he has been in Iowa's lineup.
Quote: 

<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

That Vitters draft class (2007) is looking pretty bad for everyone right now. There are some high schoolers that could come on, but right now you've only got 2 studs (Price and Heyward, and they come with warts), 3 could be's (Parker . Bumegarner, Wieters), and some decent guys with upside at varying points on the curve (Frazier, Moustakas, Porcello). Right now the 15th most valuable guy WAR-wise (via baseball-references valuation) is none other than Julio Borbon. And the guy the Cubs gave up in the Rich Harden deal, Josh Donaldson, is 11th overall.

There's still time for this draft class to improve, and chance are Vitters remains a bust, but once you start going through the entire draft classes, it's amazing how many first rounders end up disappointments for their teams. I'm sure the Cubs have more than their share, but if you get more than 5 or 6 special players out of an entire first round, you've got an amazing draft class.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
As Scarey said, Vitters actually hasn't looked that bad so far this year.

I think Vitters still has a shot to be an ok bench option for someone, maybe not the Cubs, down the road. Jackson, on the other hand, I can't see with much of a big league future given all his flaws. I think maybe he ends up in Japan.
Vitters is now in his 24 yo season and we can't say what he has looked like this year because he has only had 70 PA. What we have been able to see has been fine, but a wRC+ 105 is nothing to brag about. It's not *bad*, but it's also not screaming "I'm ready to be called up". Even if it were over 300 PA, his numbers say average in a hitter friendly league. I haven't written him off yet, but I'm also not holding my breath.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CubbieBlues" data-cid="205067" data-time="1370358042">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Coldneck" data-cid="205062" data-time="1370356634">
<div>

<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

</div>
</blockquote>
:-) Nope. He was released.

</div>
</blockquote>
That's kind of the point.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy