Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
So as much of a crap shoot the draft is for pitchers, it looks like each team's ace is grabbed (on average) in the first two rounds.

Are we counting Samardzija as the Cubs' ace? or Garza? I guess Samardzija was a huge steal in the 5th round then.

Good work Andy
I just want to drink beer and play atari
Quote:So as much of a crap shoot the draft is for pitchers, it looks like each team's ace is grabbed (on average) in the first two rounds.

Are we counting Samardzija as the Cubs' ace? or Garza? I guess Samardzija was a huge steal in the 5th round then.

Good work Andy
Remember when he was the poster boy for terrible Hendry drafts and contracts?
Quote:This is why I hope we draft Appel. He could be your legit ace on the fast track (2015?).
Actually I've heard people who think Appel is polished enough to be in the bigs next year.
Thanks Andy. How do the five Cubs starters compare with those averages?

It's entirely possible that when the Cubs contend that our ace *will* have been drafted in the first two rounds but not necessarily by the Cubs.

How many current aces are playing for the team that drafted them?

King Felix and David Price are probably about it. 

Quote:I'd like to see a breakdown of the draft positions for all of the 150 current MLB rotation guys for whom the draft was in play. I think it would be quite telling. I'm guessing that there's no such thing as drafting pitchers well...only lucky and unlucky. It's such a crap shoot. The Cubs will absolutely have to buy pitching.
Which is why I just don't understand the FO trying to trade Garza, he is a proven #2, and he wont net you a prospect slated to become a #1 starter, even less now after his injury...
Quote:King Felix and David Price are probably about it. 

Well . . . it depends on your definition of "ace," doesn't it? Are we talking #1 starters or pitchers with high talent?

I would argue that Kershaw, Verlander, Strasburg, Hamels, Cueto, Sale, Gallardo, Wainwright, and Cain are all aces pitching for the team that drafted them, but there are even more teams whose best pitcher is one that they drafted.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="203352" data-time="1366124825">
<div>
This is why I hope we draft Appel. He could be your legit ace on the fast track (2015?).
Actually I've heard people who think Appel is polished enough to be in the bigs next year.

</div>
</blockquote>

I do like a polished Appel.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

I got one you can bob for.

Pitcher - Year - Round - Pick

Garza - 2005 - 1 - 25

Shark - 2006 - 5 - 149

Jackson - 2001 - 6 - 190

Wood - 2005 - 2 - 60

Feldman - 2003 - 30 - 886

I got nothin'.

Andy
Now sing me a song.

You definitely do not want that.

I got nothin'.

Andy
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="203386" data-time="1366148310">
<div>
King Felix and David Price are probably about it. 

Well . . . it depends on your definition of "ace," doesn't it? Are we talking #1 starters or pitchers with high talent?

I would argue that Kershaw, Verlander, Strasburg, Hamels, Cueto, Sale, Gallardo, Wainwright, and Cain are all aces pitching for the team that drafted them, but there are even more teams whose best pitcher is one that they drafted.

</div>
</blockquote>
Those two were just the two that came to mind.  Somehow forgot about Verlander and Kershaw.  Would definitely consider them aces.

And Satchel, I would assume the FO is no longer aggressively shopping Garza.  

Baez with a bomb and a stolen base yesterday, but struck out three times.

Some Tennessee top 20 prospects are off to strong starts:

Szczur - .304/.377/.370, 6 SBs and 7 RBIs which not bad for a leadoff man

Jae-Hoon Ha - .333/.417/.405, 4 SBs, 7 RBIs

Alberto Cabrera - 2-1, 4.00 ERA, 19Ks, 4 BB.

I just want to drink beer and play atari
Stephen Bruno is raking for Daytona.  Don't know if he's legit...guess we shall see.