Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoltz - Leaning to Signing with Cardinals
If I were Smoltz I'd sign with the Cards too. They have a very reasonable chance of making the post season.

For the Cards sake, they only have to pay the prorated major league minimum for his services. Holliday and Lugo become FAs after this year. The have a payroll bump this season when they have the opportunity to win a WS. I don't think this has anything to do with small market/ large market. The reason the Cubs aren't in a position to add salary and talent is because of poor salary management. Hendry backloaded so many deals that are coming due this year and next. We are also in the middle of a sale from a bankrupt company.

Furthermore, the Cards opening day payroll was $88 M compared the the Cubs $135 M payroll. Therein lies a lot of leverage. The Cardinals 2010 commitment is only $50.6 M compared to the Cubs $120 M. It is obvious that the Cardinals organization has been run more effectively than the Cubs and has a huge advantage going forward compared to our high priced, aging ballclub.

Messages In This Thread
Smoltz - Leaning to Signing with Cardinals - by Coldneck - 08-19-2009, 12:24 PM