Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2009 Chicago Cubs
<!--quoteo(post=6518:date=Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Also, Pie is hands down the best fielding OFer we have on the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, that's how I feel, which is why I suggested making him the full-time CFer.
It'd be like getting a weak-hitting/strong fielding SS....you're getting plus defense at an important, up-the-middle-position, and any offense that player may generate is a bonus.

The difference between that fictional SS and Pie is that there is a 50/50 chance that Pie could become a offensive <i>force</i>, instead of a hinderance.
(or maybe it's only a 1-in-3 chance, but at least there's a legit <i>chanc</i>e.)
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Pie is not going to be on the Cubs on opening day. I don't think they gave him a proper shot, but there is no way you sign Gathwright if you think Pie is in your future plans. He will be traded for 35 cents on the dollar.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Yep, and if he's not traded he'd have to hit .800, 20 homeruns, and steal 30 bases during spring training to make the team
<!--quoteo(post=6533:date=Dec 22 2008, 10:02 PM:name=AlexV)-->QUOTE (AlexV @ Dec 22 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yep, and if he's not traded he'd have to hit .800, 20 homeruns, and steal 30 bases during spring training to make the team<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No, if he's not traded he'll be on the team regardless of what he does in ST.
<!--quoteo(post=6518:date=Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Also, Pie is hands down the best fielding OFer we have on the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's the most talented but Fukudome's the better outfielder.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=6599:date=Dec 22 2008, 11:18 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 22 2008, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6518:date=Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Also, Pie is hands down the best fielding OFer we have on the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dude, Fuk's played excellent RIGHT field. That's all. He hasn't played much CF in America, and when he did, his stats were awful.
I'm willing to chalk that up to a small sample size, but there's no guarantee that Fuk is gonna be a
GG-calibre CFer.
At all.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=6539:date=Dec 22 2008, 11:17 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 22 2008, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6533:date=Dec 22 2008, 10:02 PM:name=AlexV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlexV @ Dec 22 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yep, and if he's not traded he'd have to hit .800, 20 homeruns, and steal 30 bases during spring training to make the team<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not neccesarly, they could still put him on wavers. Although that'd be pretty stupid, not trading him and then losing him to another team not getting anything in return.
<!--quoteo(post=6612:date=Dec 23 2008, 01:36 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 23 2008, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6599:date=Dec 22 2008, 11:18 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 22 2008, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6518:date=Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Also, Pie is hands down the best fielding OFer we have on the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dude, Fuk's played excellent RIGHT field. That's all. He hasn't played much CF in America, and when he did, his stats were awful.
I'm willing to chalk that up to a small sample size, but there's no guarantee that Fuk is gonna be a
GG-calibre CFer.
At all.
Right field is part of the outfield.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=6623:date=Dec 23 2008, 02:09 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 23 2008, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6612:date=Dec 23 2008, 01:36 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 23 2008, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6599:date=Dec 22 2008, 11:18 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 22 2008, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6518:date=Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Also, Pie is hands down the best fielding OFer we have on the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
GG-calibre CFer.
At all.
I'm assuming that you're aware that it takes more skill to play CF, and it's considered a primo def. position, like SS and 2B, while RF is the kind of place that you could conceivably stick Adam Dunn at.

<!--quoteo(post=6599:date=Dec 22 2008, 11:18 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 22 2008, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6518:date=Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Also, Pie is hands down the best fielding OFer we have on the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Nope.
<!--quoteo(post=6614:date=Dec 23 2008, 12:45 AM:name=AlexV)-->QUOTE (AlexV @ Dec 23 2008, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6539:date=Dec 22 2008, 11:17 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 22 2008, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6533:date=Dec 22 2008, 10:02 PM:name=AlexV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlexV @ Dec 22 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yep, and if he's not traded he'd have to hit .800, 20 homeruns, and steal 30 bases during spring training to make the team<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not neccesarly, they could still put him on wavers.
Not a chance.
<!--quoteo(post=6625:date=Dec 23 2008, 05:14 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 23 2008, 05:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6623:date=Dec 23 2008, 02:09 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 23 2008, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6612:date=Dec 23 2008, 01:36 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 23 2008, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6599:date=Dec 22 2008, 11:18 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 22 2008, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6518:date=Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 22 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Also, Pie is hands down the best fielding OFer we have on the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
GG-calibre CFer.
At all.
I'm assuming that you're aware that it takes more skill to play CF, and it's considered a primo def. position, like SS and 2B, while RF is the kind of place that you could conceivably stick Adam Dunn at.

i think the corner outfield positions are more difficult. what seperates centerfield is that there's more ground to cover so you need speedier guys. centerfielders are able to better see the ball of the bat and the line drives are generally truer and straighter. in the corners, the ball tends to slice.

guys like adam dunn play corner positions because they're slower and don't have to cover as much ground. plus i believe centerfielders get more chances than corner outfielders. i'm not saying centerfield is an easy position, but i do think it's easier than the corner positions. the main skills a centerfielder needs is speed, speed, and the ability to cover more ground (speed).

as far as the fuk/pie argument goes, i have more confidence in fukudome improving next year than pie. i think fukudome could come back more relaxed and more acclimated to america. he could get better. pie? he will never amount o anything ever.

last year, when the cubs were pursuing brian roberts, i lamented the fact the cubs were gonna hold onto pie until he had no more vlue. i feel like i may have been on the money about that.
Wang.
I'd bet anything that the Cubs will desperately try to move Fuk first before Pie.

But one will definitely go.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=6688:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:14 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 23 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd bet anything that the Cubs will desperately try to move Fuk first before Pie.

But one will definitely go.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fuk has little to no value, has a no trade clause, and is locked up for a ridiculous sum of money for the next 3 years... They may try, but they aren't getting very far with it. At least they have the potential to get something of value with Pie. We're fuked with fuk.
We're stuck with Fuk for at least another season. No way around it, and we might as well see if he can turn things around. Pie on the other hand, has little place on the team and still has some trade value, so he won't be here past ST. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll be with another team soon.