Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Russell
Future HOFer, James Russel. Practice saying it.
<!--quoteo(post=84682:date=Mar 26 2010, 02:37 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Mar 26 2010, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84679:date=Mar 26 2010, 04:34 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 26 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Russell's nickname is "Huge Doucher", because that's what he looks like. Probably how he pitches too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The Big Nozzle.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Don't rustle his feathers now...
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
He pitched nicely, granted its Spring Training, but it was a good outing.
<!--quoteo(post=84661:date=Mar 26 2010, 04:02 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 26 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a feeling Russell is going to be the guy Lou never uses this year. Lou is dumb and uses Grabow against lefties despite the fact that he is better against righties. Lou always has one guy he is afraid to use. Most of last year it was Snowman. I expect it to be Russell this year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is sort of a pet peeve of mine. People never seem to realize that how Grabow does against lefties and righties is only HALF the equation. Grabow might be a guy who performs the same against righties and lefties, but the guys he is facing might be terrible against lefties. If Lou puts Grabow in to face a lefty, it might not be that he thinks Grabow is lights out against them (he has the SAME stats in front of him as we do), but rather because he either wants to turn the the around (in which case Grabow loses no effectiveness), or because he thinks the guy is worse against a lefty than a righty.

A guy who is equally effective against both sides of the plate, who is not being used as a loogy, actually has an advantage.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=84717:date=Mar 26 2010, 09:39 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Mar 26 2010, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84661:date=Mar 26 2010, 04:02 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 26 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a feeling Russell is going to be the guy Lou never uses this year. Lou is dumb and uses Grabow against lefties despite the fact that he is better against righties. Lou always has one guy he is afraid to use. Most of last year it was Snowman. I expect it to be Russell this year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is sort of a pet peeve of mine. People never seem to realize that how Grabow does against lefties and righties is only HALF the equation. Grabow might be a guy who performs the same against righties and lefties, but the guys he is facing might be terrible against lefties. If Lou puts Grabow in to face a lefty, it might not be that he thinks Grabow is lights out against them (he has the SAME stats in front of him as we do), but rather because he either wants to turn the the around (in which case Grabow loses no effectiveness), or because he thinks the guy is worse against a lefty than a righty.

A guy who is equally effective against both sides of the plate, who is not being used as a loogy, actually has an advantage.

I think just about everything is a pet peeve of yours.....

And since most lefty hitters are worse against lefty pitchers I think its safe to say that in general lefties hit Grabow just as well as righties do, whether or not they generally hit lefties well or not.

I certainly don't have a problem with Grabow facing lefties sometimes. My point is that Lou seems to throw all stats out the window and ALWAYS goes lefty/righty match-ups both with bullpen and pinch hitting decisions. Its the truth. He pinch hit Aaron miles against righties when he had guys like Reed Johnson and Jake Fox available on the bench many times, in close late inning situations.

I honestly like Lou in general but he manages his bullpen and his bench horribly.

Anyway my point of the first post is, Russell will be Lou's 3rd option against lefties at best, so I expect him to be rarely used, but I guess we will see.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I think just about everything is a pet peeve of yours.....<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well...That pretty much came out of nowhere.

My bad for voicing my opinion on an opinion board. I'll watch that in the future.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=84722:date=Mar 26 2010, 11:56 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Mar 26 2010, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I think just about everything is a pet peeve of yours.....<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well...That pretty much came out of nowhere.

My bad for voicing my opinion on an opinion board. I'll watch that in the future.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

It just seems a whole lot of stuff seems to strike a cord with you and piss you off.

Sorry, that was probably a dick thing to say. I got defensive, my apologies.
Who the fuck is Snowman?
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=84726:date=Mar 27 2010, 02:37 AM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Mar 27 2010, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Who the fuck is Snowman?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[Image: 456029.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=84673:date=Mar 26 2010, 05:26 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 26 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm still hoping we will trade for a pen arm so Russell doesn't have to be on the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because he's a rookie, or because you don't like Russell, specifically?
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=84721:date=Mar 27 2010, 01:21 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 27 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84717:date=Mar 26 2010, 09:39 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Mar 26 2010, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84661:date=Mar 26 2010, 04:02 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 26 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a feeling Russell is going to be the guy Lou never uses this year. Lou is dumb and uses Grabow against lefties despite the fact that he is better against righties. Lou always has one guy he is afraid to use. Most of last year it was Snowman. I expect it to be Russell this year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And since most lefty hitters are worse against lefty pitchers I think its safe to say that in general lefties hit Grabow just as well as righties do, whether or not they generally hit lefties well or not.

I certainly don't have a problem with Grabow facing lefties sometimes. My point is that Lou seems to throw all stats out the window and ALWAYS goes lefty/righty match-ups both with bullpen and pinch hitting decisions. Its the truth. He pinch hit Aaron miles against righties when he had guys like Reed Johnson and Jake Fox available on the bench many times, in close late inning situations.

Shades of Dusty, no? Remember Mike Remlinger?
<!--quoteo(post=84729:date=Mar 27 2010, 07:10 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 27 2010, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84673:date=Mar 26 2010, 05:26 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 26 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm still hoping we will trade for a pen arm so Russell doesn't have to be on the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both. We have too many unproven young guys in the pen and I don't see anything Russell has done to even sniff a spot on a big league roster. His numbers were unimpressive, if not bad last year in the minors and I have been underwhelmed with his stuff the two times I saw him pitch this spring.
<!--quoteo(post=84730:date=Mar 27 2010, 07:12 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 27 2010, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84721:date=Mar 27 2010, 01:21 AM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 27 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84717:date=Mar 26 2010, 09:39 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Mar 26 2010, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84661:date=Mar 26 2010, 04:02 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 26 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a feeling Russell is going to be the guy Lou never uses this year. Lou is dumb and uses Grabow against lefties despite the fact that he is better against righties. Lou always has one guy he is afraid to use. Most of last year it was Snowman. I expect it to be Russell this year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shades of Dusty, no? Remember Mike Remlinger?

Yeah only Dusty was even worse. Because of his changeup, Remlinger was actually significantly better against righties than lefties and Dusty used him like a loogy.
<!--quoteo(post=84731:date=Mar 27 2010, 10:07 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 27 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84729:date=Mar 27 2010, 07:10 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 27 2010, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84673:date=Mar 26 2010, 05:26 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 26 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm still hoping we will trade for a pen arm so Russell doesn't have to be on the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both. We have too many unproven young guys in the pen and I don't see anything Russell has done to even sniff a spot on a big league roster. His numbers were unimpressive, if not bad last year in the minors and I have been underwhelmed with his stuff the two times I saw him pitch this spring.

I was also very unimpressed the two times I saw him this Spring. Last year, though, weren't his really bad numbers from when he was starting? I could be remembering wrong, but I thought he turned it on a bit when he was moved to the pen late. Again, I could be remembering wrong.
There is one thing that Russell has going for him that it overlooked.

He's a Longhorn.