Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curtis Granderson?
As a leadoff hitter, he's almost exactly like Cameron. He's a pretty good player and his payroll is acceptable. It would fill a whole. Granted he can't hit lefties to save his life (career .210/.270/.344). I'm not sure he's the best bet... plus it would cost a number of prospects to get him.

I got nothin'.

Andy
Granderson isn't a leadoff hitter. He hit's better down in the order for whatever reason. That said I would take him in a second.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=68776:date=Nov 12 2009, 11:48 AM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Nov 12 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Granderson isn't a leadoff hitter. He hit's better down in the order for whatever reason. That said I would take him in a second.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since he's become a regular (2006), as a starter, he's only <b>not</b> been the leadoff hitter 44 times. In 2009 when he had his worst season, Detroit tried moving him around a bit, but he still spent the vast majority of the season leading off.

Just noticed that the last stolen base he had in 2009 was in the beginning of August. So I'm not sure what type of stolen base threat he is.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=68774:date=Nov 12 2009, 09:40 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Nov 12 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68772:date=Nov 12 2009, 12:38 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Nov 12 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->His best year so far was 2007. <b><i>He hit .160 vs. LHP</i></b> on his way to 38 doubles, 23 triples, 23 homers and 26 steals.

Victorino on the other hand...
100+ runs the last two years, hit .314 vs. LHP in '09 and his career high in strikeouts (71) is less than a hundred than Granderson's career high (174).
He had the best arm on earth, if you didn't include Ichiro, and he just won a Gold Glove.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is Victorino available or something?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If we're going to trade for someone, I'd rather look for someone more like him. With the Phillies going after Figgins and DeRo, they could afford to listen to offers for Victorino. I'd rather look at all the options than just Granderson.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=68778:date=Nov 12 2009, 12:42 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Nov 12 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68774:date=Nov 12 2009, 09:40 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Nov 12 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68772:date=Nov 12 2009, 12:38 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Nov 12 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->His best year so far was 2007. <b><i>He hit .160 vs. LHP</i></b> on his way to 38 doubles, 23 triples, 23 homers and 26 steals.

100+ runs the last two years, hit .314 vs. LHP in '09 and his career high in strikeouts (71) is less than a hundred than Granderson's career high (174).
He had the best arm on earth, if you didn't include Ichiro, and he just won a Gold Glove.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If we're going to trade for someone, I'd rather look for someone more like him. With the Phillies going after Figgins and DeRo, they could afford to listen to offers for Victorino. I'd rather look at all the options than just Granderson.

The Granderson talk came about because, due to Detroit's ownership having some financial woes, they need to cut payroll. They're apparently looking for prospects and cheap veterans (maybe they'd like Miles? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] )
I got nothin'.

Andy
And Phil Rogers thinks we should get Granderson. Article.
I got nothin'.

Andy
I would be highly shocked if we had any chance of scoring Shane Victorino.
<!--quoteo(post=68777:date=Nov 12 2009, 12:33 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Nov 12 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68776:date=Nov 12 2009, 11:48 AM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Nov 12 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Granderson isn't a leadoff hitter. He hit's better down in the order for whatever reason. That said I would take him in a second.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since he's become a regular (2006), as a starter, he's only <b>not</b> been the leadoff hitter 44 times. In 2009 when he had his worst season, Detroit tried moving him around a bit, but he still spent the vast majority of the season leading off.

Just noticed that the last stolen base he had in 2009 was in the beginning of August. So I'm not sure what type of stolen base threat he is.
I had him on a fantasy team this past season and remembered him being moved to the 5th spot where he did really well. Turns out it is too small a sample size to make a judgment.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
I hear Victorino just <i>loves</i> the bleacher bums.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

Curtis Granderson would be a fine addition to the Cubs. He plays a solid CF and hits righties well.

The one item that no one has mentioned is that Curtis is known as a clubhouse leader - a skill that has seemed sorely lacking for the Cubs.

If we are talking about trading Bradley for Granderson then I am doing backflips despite Curtis's inability to hit lefties but the other reason for not getting too excited is that the Yankees are also interested in Curtis.
I can't imagine we would have the resources to pay for Granderson's contract over the next few years, especially now that we are most likely going to end up eating a chunk of Bradley's current salary, while trying to maintain the overall payroll at a similar level next season. Not having the prospects or trade pieces to get a deal done is a separate issue altogether, and I can't imagine Bradley fitting into Detroit's plans in any way.
<!--quoteo(post=68779:date=Nov 12 2009, 10:51 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Nov 12 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68778:date=Nov 12 2009, 12:42 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Nov 12 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68774:date=Nov 12 2009, 09:40 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Nov 12 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68772:date=Nov 12 2009, 12:38 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Nov 12 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->His best year so far was 2007. <b><i>He hit .160 vs. LHP</i></b> on his way to 38 doubles, 23 triples, 23 homers and 26 steals.

The Granderson talk came about because, due to Detroit's ownership having some financial woes, they need to cut payroll. They're apparently looking for prospects and cheap veterans (maybe they'd like Miles? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] )
I know, and it's probably the best time we'd ever have to land Granderson. I just was talking to Clapp about it and he was telling me Victorino would be a better fit than Granderson and I was just going off that when mentioning Victorino.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I hear Victorino just loves the bleacher bums.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They would sure shower him with affection.
<!--quoteo(post=68787:date=Nov 12 2009, 11:11 AM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Nov 12 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The one item that no one has mentioned is that Curtis is known as a clubhouse leader - a skill that has seemed sorely lacking for the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He's a young DLee in a lot of ways. Charismatic and vocal for sure in the clubhouse. Can't find a more likeable guy.
Who said Granderson had to hit leadoff?
<!--quoteo(post=68798:date=Nov 12 2009, 01:51 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Nov 12 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Who said Granderson had to hit leadoff?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

His career to this point.
I got nothin'.

Andy