Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2009 Chicago Cubs
<!--quoteo(post=3431:date=Dec 10 2008, 04:01 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 10 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Keep in mind, this is from the Muskrat.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs are doing their homework in trying to determine whether free-agent outfielder Milton Bradley would be a good fit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Rangers manager Ron Washington confirmed Tuesday that Cubs personnel had contacted him regarding Bradley, who is believed to be seeking a multiyear deal. Cubs hitting coach Gerald Perry worked with Bradley when the two were together in Oakland and is familiar with the outfielder, who led the American League in on-base percentage (.436) this season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Holy fuck----.436?!
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
That number is Bonds-esque.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Pretty close. I knew he had a nice year last year, but I didn't realize he got on THAT much.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
True, but if he comes, we can't expect that. We had high hopes of Fuk's OBP and he finished at .359.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Well, Fuk accomplished his feats while playing in <i>Japan</i>. Bradley did it in the American League.
And Bradley also led the that league in OPS (A-Rod was 2nd).

Bradley's a hell of a ballplayer. He's not only significantly better than either Abreu or Ibanez, he's both younger <i>and</i> cheaper.

And I'm different from you guys...I watch baseball for entertainment. Heck, Bradley would be fun to watch even if he were a <i>lesser</i> player, because he's such a powder keg. But an out-of-control, crazed All-Star? Sign me up.
Clubhouse brotherhood is vastly overrated, especially as it pertains to winning championships.

I have no beef with us landing either Abreu or ibanez, but if it's a choice between one of those guys, or a younger, cheaper, possible MVP candidate...I mean, are you serious?
My only beef with him (and I concede that it's a legit problem) is his injury history.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=3628:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My only beef with him (and I concede that it's a legit problem) is his injury history.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And that is reason one, two, and three we need to keep D-Ro. Not because of his offense, but because he can play EVERYWHERE.
<!--quoteo(post=3630:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3628:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My only beef with him (and I concede that it's a legit problem) is his injury history.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And that is reason one, two, and three we need to keep D-Ro. Not because of his offense, but because he can play EVERYWHERE.

I love DeRo. Who doesn't?
But SI.com is reporting that we can get <i>Jake Peavy</i> for DeRo and Marquis.
Marquis!
You gotta pull the trigger on that trade, no questions asked.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=3631:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:57 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3630:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3628:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My only beef with him (and I concede that it's a legit problem) is his injury history.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marquis!
Not when you already have 4 aces.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=3631:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:57 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3630:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3628:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My only beef with him (and I concede that it's a legit problem) is his injury history.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marquis!

I would *love* to get Peavy, trust me. But at the sake of a piece we need? I think our pitching is good enough. Crap, it is more than good enough... with or without Peavy. I just don't want to rely on Fontenot to play 2B because if he shits his pants who is going to wipe up for him...Ray Durham?

<!--quoteo(post=3628:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well, Fuk accomplished his feats while playing in <i>Japan</i>. Bradley did it in the American League.
And Bradley also led the that league in OPS (A-Rod was 2nd).

Bradley's a hell of a ballplayer. He's not only significantly better than either Abreu or Ibanez, he's both younger <i>and</i> cheaper.

And I'm different from you guys...I watch baseball for entertainment. Heck, Bradley would be fun to watch even if he were a <i>lesser</i> player, because he's such a powder keg. But an out-of-control, crazed All-Star? Sign me up.
Clubhouse brotherhood is vastly overrated, especially as it pertains to winning championships.

I have no beef with us landing either Abreu or ibanez, but if it's a choice between one of those guys, or a younger, cheaper, possible MVP candidate...I mean, are you serious?
My only beef with him (and I concede that it's a legit problem) is his injury history.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
MVP candidate? You know he's never played close to a full season in his career right? He's a great talent, but I don't he expect him to put up close to the numbers he did last year without Josh Hamilton batting in front of him and out of Arlington where he put up 16 of his 22 homers and a 1.145 OPS. I'd say a realistic prediction is 350 at bats, 15 homers, 60 RBI, .860 OPS.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=3634:date=Dec 11 2008, 02:09 AM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 11 2008, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3631:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:57 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3630:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3628:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My only beef with him (and I concede that it's a legit problem) is his injury history.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marquis!

I would *love* to get Peavy, trust me. But at the sake of a piece we need? I think our pitching is good enough. Crap, it is more than good enough... with or without Peavy. I just don't want to rely on Fontenot to play 2B because if he shits his pants who is going to wipe up for him...Ray Durham?
Bingo. And if you're getting Milton Bradley, you're going to need another right fielder to play quite a bit, and I'd prefer DeRo there over Fuk/Hoff.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=3632:date=Dec 11 2008, 02:05 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 11 2008, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3631:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:57 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3630:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3628:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My only beef with him (and I concede that it's a legit problem) is his injury history.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marquis!

Dude, we get to keep Vitters. And Sean Marshall. I mean, you have to give up <i>somebody</i> in exchange for landing a Cy Young-winning ace like Peavy, right?

And I support your enthusiasm for our pitching staff. Wholeheartedly!
The off-season is a time for boundless optimism.
Four Aces? Fuck yeah!

But to imply that Ted Lilly is Peavy's equal is ...well, it's a little far-fetched, right?
And Harden is, and has always been a Kerry-Wood-like injury worry.
And Dempster is coming off a contract year in which he WILDLY outperformed even the most optimistic predictions.
So that's 2 major question marks, plus a guy who is decidedly inferior to Peavy, plus the head-case that is Mr. Carlos Zambrano.

Something tells me that many Cub fans would consider Peavy to be a welcome addition to <!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->The 4 Aces<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc-->.
<!--quoteo(post=3637:date=Dec 11 2008, 02:19 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3632:date=Dec 11 2008, 02:05 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 11 2008, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3631:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:57 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3630:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 11 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3628:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My only beef with him (and I concede that it's a legit problem) is his injury history.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marquis!

Dude, we get to keep Vitters. And Sean Marshall. I mean, you have to give up <i>somebody</i> in exchange for landing a Cy Young-winning ace like Peavy, right?.

And I support your enthusiasm for our pitching staff. Wholeheartedly! The off-season is a time for boundless optimism.
Four Aces? Fuck yeah!

But to imply that Ted Lilly is Peavy's equal is ...well, it's a little far-fetched, right?
And Harden is, and has always been a Kerry-Wood-like injury worry.
And Dempster is coming off a contract year in which he WILDLY outperformed even the most optimistic predictions.
So that's 2 major question marks, plus a guy who is decidedly inferior to Peavy, plus the head-case that is Mr. Carlos Zambrano.

Something tells me that many Cub fans would consider Peavy to be a welcome addition to <!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->The 4 Aces<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc-->.
We're keeping Vitters and Marshall? Everything I've read is we're giving up DeRo, Marquis, those guys(maybe not Marshall), and more.

Lilly was better than Peavy in 08. I'm not saying he's the better pitcher, but he was much better this year. He'll win 15 games with us and I'm confident he's going to step up in the next playoff opportunity he gets. He has balls. Unfortunately, he won't get that chance if we add Peavy.

Harden will be fine if we handle him correctly and get him to October healthy. If he's healthy, he's the best pitcher in baseball.

Dempster might not be as good as this year, but he's not going to fall off the face of the earth like some people seem to think. I expect him to have a better year than Peavy.

Z's frustrating, but he gets it done. You can mark him down for 14+ wins and an ERA under 4 every year.

Look, I'd love to have Peavy, but he's far from a need. Our rotation is still better than anybody's out there(except for maybe TB). We need a run-producing bat more than anything, and to not get rid of players that were important to us winning 97 games. DeRo was as big of a part of that as anybody, maybe the biggest.
@TheBlogfines
I semi-agree with all of your points. (except for that thing about Lilly being better than Peavy last year...one had a 4.09 ERA. The other's was 2.85).

Still, Cy-caliber aces are a lot harder to come by than journeyman utility guys who the chicks dig. Did you see what the Yanks are paying Sabathia?
<!--quoteo(post=3640:date=Dec 11 2008, 02:33 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I semi-agree with all of your points. (except for that thing about Lilly being better than Peavy last year...one had a 4.09 ERA. The other's was 2.85).

Still, Cy-caliber aces are a lot harder to come by than journeyman utility guys who the chicks dig. Did you see what the Yanks are paying Sabathia?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Are you calling CC a journeyman who the chicks dig!?! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]