Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soriano is awful
<!--quoteo(post=59426:date=Aug 21 2009, 10:00 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Aug 21 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Jack Wilson is terrible. Just sayin.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's a shitty hitter, I don't think anybody denies that. But he's good enough to put at the #8 spot in the lineup and he's a huge upgrade at SS. Championship teams are good up the middle. Having a shortstop that makes all of the plays and more would make this a better team. Our lineup -should- be able to score enough runs to afford to have a Jack Wilson in the lineup. Obviously I'd rather get a guy that can hit and play defense, but there's really nobody else out there like that. I know people will give me the RockiesClapp shit but I'd give my left nut to acquire a Tulowitzki.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=59416:date=Aug 21 2009, 06:49 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Aug 21 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still contend that the lineup and bullpen don't look too bad. It's the rotation that's rough around the edges...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I keep reading that over and over again and keep wondering what team you've been watching all season.

I mean yeah...there are things I get...I get that if Soto were hitting like last year...if Rami hadn't been out for 50 games...if Soriano was himself at the plate consistently...if Fuk had been leading off all season...if Bradley had been come around as Mr. OBP earlier...if Lou had never encouraged Theriot to be a home run king and if someone would teach him to run the bases...if we never had to see Aaron Miles...then this lineup wouldn't have had to suck but suck it did.

And not only have Marmol and Gregg been headaches all year, they weren't dealt with soon enough and middle relievers with promise like Ascanio were just wasted. It's been a revolving door of crap.

And yes, Dempster gets slack from me. Whether he recovers from what's ailed him this season or not, I don't expect any human being to compartmentalize work and life so completely that he wouldn't be effected by this.

I guess I can accept "rough around the edges." That's fair enough. We have a good rotation...especially when healthy and Marshall isn't in it. I do wish Z would grow the fuck up. He doesn't need to be bland...I like his passion and competitiveness. I just wish he'd channel those instincts in a more tactical and strategic manner...and I really think he will. He's still just a big kid.

I really hope we aren't just seeing Harden audition for FA. I really hope we don't let Wells slip away. I'm worried about him being seen as a trading asset. I think as long as Lilly is good enough to even be a number 5 starter we need him. I think he's a great influence and teacher for the rest of the picthing staff.
<!--quoteo(post=59435:date=Aug 22 2009, 05:32 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Aug 22 2009, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=59426:date=Aug 21 2009, 10:00 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Aug 21 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Jack Wilson is terrible. Just sayin.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's a shitty hitter, I don't think anybody denies that. But he's good enough to put at the #8 spot in the lineup and he's a huge upgrade at SS. Championship teams are good up the middle. Having a shortstop that makes all of the plays and more would make this a better team. Our lineup -should- be able to score enough runs to afford to have a Jack Wilson in the lineup. Obviously I'd rather get a guy that can hit and play defense, but there's really nobody else out there like that. I know people will give me the RockiesClapp shit but I'd give my left nut to acquire a Tulowitzki.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We absolutely MUST shore up SS for next season. This is an absolute must do.

My next biggest defensive grip is with the outfield corners. Bradley has shown he CAN make plays in right and needs to just fucking do it. Soriano has shown that he can't and WON'T fucking do dick in left and that's a problem.
I'd like to see some signs of life from our offense (everyone healthy and in the lineup) before I'm ready to say that our offense is fine next season. Ramirez and Lee are both great hitters. Alf can be amazing at times. Bradley? Who knows? Even if he rebounds a bit next season, he could miss half the season. Fukudome is fine, I guess. I think Soto might have had one good season in him. Fontenot blows monkey dick. Theriot is fine other than his idiotic baserunning. It just isn't all that inspiring to me.

I'm just not seeing it in 2010. Blow it up and start over.
<!--quoteo(post=59451:date=Aug 22 2009, 08:26 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Aug 22 2009, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=59416:date=Aug 21 2009, 06:49 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Aug 21 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still contend that the lineup and bullpen don't look too bad. It's the rotation that's rough around the edges...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I keep reading that over and over again and keep wondering what team you've been watching all season.

I mean yeah...there are things I get...I get that if Soto were hitting like last year...if Rami hadn't been out for 50 games...if Soriano was himself at the plate consistently...if Fuk had been leading off all season...if Bradley had been come around as Mr. OBP earlier...if Lou had never encouraged Theriot to be a home run king and if someone would teach him to run the bases...if we never had to see Aaron Miles...then this lineup wouldn't have had to suck but suck it did.

And not only have Marmol and Gregg been headaches all year, they weren't dealt with soon enough and middle relievers with promise like Ascanio were just wasted. It's been a revolving door of crap.

And yes, Dempster gets slack from me. Whether he recovers from what's ailed him this season or not, I don't expect any human being to compartmentalize work and life so completely that he wouldn't be effected by this.

I guess I can accept "rough around the edges." That's fair enough. We have a good rotation...especially when healthy and Marshall isn't in it. I do wish Z would grow the fuck up. He doesn't need to be bland...I like his passion and competitiveness. I just wish he'd channel those instincts in a more tactical and strategic manner...and I really think he will. He's still just a big kid.

I really hope we aren't just seeing Harden audition for FA. I really hope we don't let Wells slip away. I'm worried about him being seen as a trading asset. I think as long as Lilly is good enough to even be a number 5 starter we need him. I think he's a great influence and teacher for the rest of the picthing staff.
He was talking about his "semi-rebuilt" team.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=59463:date=Aug 22 2009, 09:29 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Aug 22 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Soto might have had one good season in him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, I was looking at a post on NSBB recently. There's a guy there that figured out this expected line for each player. It was basically toying with stats like BABIP and line drive % to come up with what their line should equate to when taking into what their BABIP and line drive % was this year. I didn't completely understand his methods, but it seemed like a pretty logical approach. I wasn't really about whether they should have put that line up or not, but if they were lucky or unlucky. Here was Soto's.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Player - Geovany Soto
Actual Line - .220/.329/.386
Expected Line - .269/.370/.451<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This basically shows that Soto has be very unlucky this year. Fontenot was pretty unlucky as well, but his expected line was just mediocre instead of monkey dick. I still believe Fontenot would be a good bench/platoon player. If the Cubs can get a decent SS and give Theriot about 60-70% of the starts at second, I would be pretty happy.
<!--quoteo(post=59435:date=Aug 22 2009, 05:32 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Aug 22 2009, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=59426:date=Aug 21 2009, 10:00 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Aug 21 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Jack Wilson is terrible. Just sayin.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think I could handle the "Tulo" chant - that might be a deal breaker for me.
<!--quoteo(post=59393:date=Aug 21 2009, 04:49 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Aug 21 2009, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If we're going to rebuild, let's go all-out. We'll suffer through a few brutal years, but we'll be back. Do it like the Marlins. Trade everyone who can be traded. No half-assing it and putting 75-win teams on the field. I want to look like the fucking Nationals.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the funny thing is, i'd have more fun watching that team than this team any day.
Wang.
Regarding Marco Scutaro: I can't help but be wary of a guy who suddenly is putting up his best offensive and defensive season at the age of 33 and in a contract year. I think he'll command a lot more money than he's worth and that some fool of a team will give it t him.
<!--quoteo(post=59563:date=Aug 23 2009, 12:53 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)-->QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Aug 23 2009, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Regarding Marco Scutaro: I can't help but be wary of a guy who suddenly is putting up his best offensive and defensive season at the age of 33 and in a contract year. I think he'll command a lot more money than he's worth and that some fool of a team will give it t him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If he wants a lot of money, I don't want any part of him. I only bring him up because he's affordable, he get's on base, and can play pretty good defense. If he wants to try to make a money grab, I think the Cubs could get someone else to at least be affordable and play good defense.
Im beginning to think that our only choice next year will be to bring everyone back and hope this year was a fluke.
<!--quoteo(post=59626:date=Aug 23 2009, 08:36 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Aug 23 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Im beginning to think that our only choice next year will be to bring everyone back and hope this year was a fluke.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That is the most likely choice. Either Marshall of Gorzelanny will need to replace Harden.
<!--quoteo(post=59632:date=Aug 23 2009, 07:50 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 23 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=59626:date=Aug 23 2009, 08:36 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Aug 23 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Im beginning to think that our only choice next year will be to bring everyone back and hope this year was a fluke.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That is the most likely choice. Either Marshall of Gorzelanny will need to replace Harden.
That and adding a decent SS and maybe 1 setup man is all I am honestly expecting from out front office. I'd like to see drastic changes to our team up the middle, but that isn't realistic.
<!--quoteo(post=59657:date=Aug 23 2009, 08:10 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Aug 23 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=59632:date=Aug 23 2009, 07:50 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 23 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=59626:date=Aug 23 2009, 08:36 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Aug 23 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Im beginning to think that our only choice next year will be to bring everyone back and hope this year was a fluke.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That and adding a decent SS and maybe 1 setup man is all I am honestly expecting from out front office. I'd like to see drastic changes to our team up the middle, but that isn't realistic.
Getting rid of Lou wouldn't hurt too.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=59658:date=Aug 23 2009, 10:54 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Aug 23 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=59657:date=Aug 23 2009, 08:10 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Aug 23 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=59632:date=Aug 23 2009, 07:50 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 23 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=59626:date=Aug 23 2009, 08:36 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Aug 23 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Im beginning to think that our only choice next year will be to bring everyone back and hope this year was a fluke.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Getting rid of Lou wouldn't hurt too.

What exactly has Lou done wrong here? I never hear an actual reason for everyone wanting to fire him. I will occasionally hear about how he wanted to have the extra left handed bat, but that's not what fucked the Cubs this season.

More simply put, what would a different manager provide to this team that Lou doesn't? Or what would said manager do better?

I feel like people want change for the sake of change. Anyone else think it's crazy?