Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoltz - Leaning to Signing with Cardinals
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4408342

Looks like Smoltz will be deciding which team he should sign with today. Appears that he will be joining the Cardinals over the Rangers, Dodgers. According to rumors he will be a Cardinal before days end.

Let's see a team operating out of small market who previously stated to have financial issues due to debt obligations for new stadium are able to sign Holliday, DeRosa, Lugo and soon Smoltz during the season

The Cubs operating out of one of the largest markets in the US, having one of the largest followings and with a perpetually sold out, anf fully paid off stadiums cite payroll issues for not being able to be more active during are able to trade deadline. Lucky they were able to trade for Tom Gorzellany and John Grabow.

Should someone tell the Cubs that Lugo and Smoltz were had for a hand of beans and they are better than what the Cubs have for infielders or in the bullpen. <i>Yeah, I know that Smotz wants to start but I want to wake up with a couple of naked supermodels on a daily basis - I'm not expecting either will happen. </i>

Beginning to feel like the 1980s and 1990s again but it was nice to see the Cubs waste some money and see them win for a couple of years.
Smoltz will suck for them, but it won't matter. Our season is over.
Signing him and starting him isn't gonna help them in any way.
Smoltz can go straight to hell. I hope he gets SARS.
If I were Smoltz I'd sign with the Cards too. They have a very reasonable chance of making the post season.

For the Cards sake, they only have to pay the prorated major league minimum for his services. Holliday and Lugo become FAs after this year. The have a payroll bump this season when they have the opportunity to win a WS. I don't think this has anything to do with small market/ large market. The reason the Cubs aren't in a position to add salary and talent is because of poor salary management. Hendry backloaded so many deals that are coming due this year and next. We are also in the middle of a sale from a bankrupt company.

Furthermore, the Cards opening day payroll was $88 M compared the the Cubs $135 M payroll. Therein lies a lot of leverage. The Cardinals 2010 commitment is only $50.6 M compared to the Cubs $120 M. It is obvious that the Cardinals organization has been run more effectively than the Cubs and has a huge advantage going forward compared to our high priced, aging ballclub.
<!--quoteo(post=58801:date=Aug 19 2009, 10:59 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Aug 19 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Smoltz can go straight to hell. I hope he gets SARS.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/spit.gif[/img] Butcher hates EVERYONE!! Also, that's so random, it's like saying "I hope he gets Lupis".
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
People are actually worried about Smoltz going to the Cards? Why?
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=58832:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:38 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Aug 19 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People are actually worried about Smoltz going to the Cards? Why?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure if anyone's actually worried. Disgusted would probably be a better word.
<!--quoteo(post=58834:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:48 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Aug 19 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=58832:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:38 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Aug 19 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People are actually worried about Smoltz going to the Cards? Why?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure if anyone's actually worried. Disgusted would probably be a better word.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
What is there to worry about? They've got the division locked up already. I'm past worry.

The fact that he wants to play for the Cardinals makes me wish death upon him. Is that so weird?
<!--quoteo(post=58837:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:53 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Aug 19 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=58834:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:48 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Aug 19 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=58832:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:38 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Aug 19 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People are actually worried about Smoltz going to the Cards? Why?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What is there to worry about? They've got the division locked up already. I'm past worry.

The fact that he wants to play for the Cardinals makes me wish death upon him. Is that so weird?
For you? No. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=58837:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:53 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Aug 19 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=58834:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:48 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Aug 19 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=58832:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:38 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Aug 19 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People are actually worried about Smoltz going to the Cards? Why?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I take that back: disgusted is putting it too mildly for butchie [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
Its not that Smoltz will be the savior, but he is an upgrade over their number 5.

It just get me that the Cards seem to actually be doing SOMETHING to try and improve thier ballclub.
That kind of stuff inspire teams to do better when they know the team has their back.

Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
<!--quoteo(post=58892:date=Aug 19 2009, 05:21 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Aug 19 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Its not that Smoltz will be the savior, but he is an upgrade over their number 5.

It just get me that the Cards seem to actually be doing SOMETHING to try and improve thier ballclub.
That kind of stuff inspire teams to do better when they know the team has their back.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He's not going to start for them.
<!--quoteo(post=58901:date=Aug 19 2009, 06:22 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 19 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=58892:date=Aug 19 2009, 05:21 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Aug 19 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Its not that Smoltz will be the savior, but he is an upgrade over their number 5.

That kind of stuff inspire teams to do better when they know the team has their back.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He's not going to start for them.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ruby.gif[/img] He's supposed to be starting Sunday.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"We're excited," general manager John Mozeliak said on a conference call on Wednesday. "Getting to add John Smoltz to this organization was something that was a unique opportunity for us, and one that we didn't know would happen or not. When you look at what this pitcher has accomplished ... it was too inviting not to take a chance on, and his leadership capabilities."

<b>Mozeliak explained that, for the time being, Smoltz will start for the Cardinals. </b>It will allow him to continue to work back to form as he tries to return from 2008 right shoulder surgery, and it may solidify a spot that has been shaky for St. Louis. <b>As the season winds to an end, Mozeliak acknowledged that there is a good chance Smoltz will move to the bullpen.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->