Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kasper Extended through 2011
<!--quoteo(post=2023:date=Dec 7 2008, 04:13 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 7 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->For the people that aren't fans of our broadcast team, I assume they don't see many other broadcasts. You'd be surprised how much better Brenly is than at least 75% of the analysts out there. Some of them are very painful to listen to. That's the case for every other analyst in the NL Central at least. Hrabosky, Walk, Schroeder, the Astros douche, Brantley and the other Reds douche are just AWFUL.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bingo.
I like the Reds PBP guy that isn't tHom.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=2057:date=Dec 7 2008, 07:27 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Dec 7 2008, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like the Reds PBP guy that isn't tHom.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the Reds announcers (not named Brenneman) are the most impartial I've heard. Really enjoy them.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=1999:date=Dec 7 2008, 03:15 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 7 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1886:date=Dec 7 2008, 11:08 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 7 2008, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I also find it funny that people complain about Brenly's stories and jokes and whatnot . . . these are the same people that think Harry was a god. At the end, Harry was infinitely worse than Brenly is, infinitely. In fact, I don't even remember Harry not sucking.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You are probably too young to remember how good he was in the 80s. I agree he sucked toward the end of his career, but the man was ancient at that point. Also, Stone made him even better. No way the Kasper/Brenly team comes even close to Caray/Stone team in their prime. No contest.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I couldn't have said it better myself, Rok.
[Image: HappyKitty.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=2023:date=Dec 7 2008, 04:13 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 7 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->For the people that aren't fans of our broadcast team, I assume they don't see many other broadcasts. You'd be surprised how much better Brenly is than at least 75% of the analysts out there. Some of them are very painful to listen to. That's the case for every other analyst in the NL Central at least. Hrabosky, Walk, Schroeder, the Astros douche, Brantley and the other Reds douche are just AWFUL.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I said several times in this thread that our announcers are some of the best around, but they aren't close to being the best PBP team the Cubs have had in my lifetime. The state of baseball broadcasters is the worst that I can ever remember, so I think people's standards have gotten pretty low. That's just my opinion though.
<!--quoteo(post=2060:date=Dec 7 2008, 07:52 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 7 2008, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2023:date=Dec 7 2008, 04:13 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 7 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->For the people that aren't fans of our broadcast team, I assume they don't see many other broadcasts. You'd be surprised how much better Brenly is than at least 75% of the analysts out there. Some of them are very painful to listen to. That's the case for every other analyst in the NL Central at least. Hrabosky, Walk, Schroeder, the Astros douche, Brantley and the other Reds douche are just AWFUL.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I said several times in this thread that our announcers are some of the best around, but they aren't close to being the best PBP team the Cubs have had in my lifetime. The state of baseball broadcasters is the worst that I can ever remember, so I think people's standards have gotten pretty low. That's just my opinion though.
I absolutely agree.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=2060:date=Dec 7 2008, 06:52 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 7 2008, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2023:date=Dec 7 2008, 04:13 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 7 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->For the people that aren't fans of our broadcast team, I assume they don't see many other broadcasts. You'd be surprised how much better Brenly is than at least 75% of the analysts out there. Some of them are very painful to listen to. That's the case for every other analyst in the NL Central at least. Hrabosky, Walk, Schroeder, the Astros douche, Brantley and the other Reds douche are just AWFUL.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the amount of media outlets covering games nowadays has diluted the talented broadcaster pool.
[Image: lou.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=2009:date=Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->harry was a sideshow? yep, best sideshow ever. when the cubs were losing 90 games every year it was fucking great having harry there. he was the best. no doubt about it. i cried when he died. i won't cry when brenley dies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Every single second I can remember of Harry, he sucked, he sucked hard. I understand that wasn't always the case, but for the last decade or so that he was with the Cubs, he was fucking awful. I don't see how anyone could say otherwise.
I liked Harry but probably only because I was a kid. Now days I can't stand the old announcers that mispronounce everyone's names and say wrong things all the time, which is exactly what he was at the end. I do think he was pretty entertaining and funny though (intentionally or not) Brenly on the other hand is just a dope and not funny at all.

I do agree that there are some teams out there now with awful color analysts. Rockies, Pirates and Brewers are a few that come to mind. So I'll agree Brenly is better than average but he still gets really annoying to me after watching 150 games. I still miss Stone.
<!--quoteo(post=2082:date=Dec 7 2008, 08:01 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 7 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2009:date=Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->harry was a sideshow? yep, best sideshow ever. when the cubs were losing 90 games every year it was fucking great having harry there. he was the best. no doubt about it. i cried when he died. i won't cry when brenley dies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Every single second I can remember of Harry, he sucked, he sucked hard. I understand that wasn't always the case, but for the last decade or so that he was with the Cubs, he was fucking awful. I don't see how anyone could say otherwise.

i think harry came to the cubs in '81 which would have made me 11 years old. i followed him until he died before the '98 season. it's very very easy for me to say otherwise. harry was entertaining, outspoken, drunk, and funny as hell. he was also very knowledgeable. he was awesome. him and steve will never be topped in chicago. that can't be argued.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=2091:date=Dec 7 2008, 09:40 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2082:date=Dec 7 2008, 08:01 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 7 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2009:date=Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->harry was a sideshow? yep, best sideshow ever. when the cubs were losing 90 games every year it was fucking great having harry there. he was the best. no doubt about it. i cried when he died. i won't cry when brenley dies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i think harry came to the cubs in '81 which would have made me 11 years old. i followed him until he died before the '98 season. it's very very easy for me to say otherwise. harry was entertaining, outspoken, drunk, and funny as hell. he was also very knowledgeable. he was awesome. him and steve will never be topped in chicago. that can't be argued.

It should also be said that Harry, along with the other greats of our time, started out in radio. Broadcasting baseball games in radio, absent any tv, was an art. It's a lost art today because the radio guys have tv replays to fall back upon. The good ones created a picture of the game--one that the listener could visualize, hear, and even smell.

Vin Scully and Harry Callas are two who come to mind as the last of the late, great radio announcers who have transitioned well to television. There were a few others, but most have died.

Ruby, if you have any question about Harry, and care at all, listen to some of his old radio stuff. He was very good on TV throughout the 80s. Read Steve Stone's book. Part of Harry's schtick was playing against Steve--he wasn't as dumb as he might have sounded to you. He was playing a role--sort of like you do here.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=2094:date=Dec 7 2008, 08:54 PM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Dec 7 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2091:date=Dec 7 2008, 09:40 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2082:date=Dec 7 2008, 08:01 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 7 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2009:date=Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->harry was a sideshow? yep, best sideshow ever. when the cubs were losing 90 games every year it was fucking great having harry there. he was the best. no doubt about it. i cried when he died. i won't cry when brenley dies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It should also be said that Harry, along with the other greats of our time, started out in radio. Broadcasting baseball games in radio, absent any tv, was an art. It's a lost art today because the radio guys have tv replays to fall back upon. The good ones created a picture of the game--one that the listener could visualize, hear, and even smell.

Vin Scully and Harry Callas are two who come to mind as the last of the late, great radio announcers who have transitioned well to television. There were a few others, but most have died.

Ruby, if you have any question about Harry, and care at all, listen to some of his old radio stuff. He was very good on TV throughout the 80s. Read Steve Stone's book. Part of Harry's schtick was playing against Steve--he wasn't as dumb as he might have sounded to you. He was playing a role--sort of like you do here.
I'm well aware that in his prime, Harry was good. However, his prime was long gone by the time I really started watching baseball.

Also, anyone who says that Harry was anything but bad during his last decade as a Cub announcer is not being truthful with themselves.
<!--quoteo(post=2057:date=Dec 7 2008, 06:27 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Dec 7 2008, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like the Reds PBP guy that isn't tHom.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

George Grande...one of the ESPN originals.

And SHUT UP.
<!--quoteo(post=2100:date=Dec 7 2008, 09:19 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 7 2008, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2094:date=Dec 7 2008, 08:54 PM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Dec 7 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2091:date=Dec 7 2008, 09:40 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2082:date=Dec 7 2008, 08:01 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 7 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2009:date=Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->harry was a sideshow? yep, best sideshow ever. when the cubs were losing 90 games every year it was fucking great having harry there. he was the best. no doubt about it. i cried when he died. i won't cry when brenley dies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm well aware that in his prime, Harry was good. However, his prime was long gone by the time I really started watching baseball.

Also, anyone who says that Harry was anything but bad during his last decade as a Cub announcer is not being truthful with themselves.

rube, generally i like you, but when you make posts like that, you're just a douche.

repeat after me:

"just because someone disagrees with the forehead, doesn't mean they are wrong."

say that to yourself 100 times. live it, learn it.

harry was anything but bad til the day he died. i'll sleep easy tonight knowing that i'm truthful to myself, my family, and the good lord upstairs.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=2137:date=Dec 8 2008, 08:31 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 8 2008, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2100:date=Dec 7 2008, 09:19 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 7 2008, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2094:date=Dec 7 2008, 08:54 PM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Dec 7 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2091:date=Dec 7 2008, 09:40 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2082:date=Dec 7 2008, 08:01 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 7 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2009:date=Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->harry was a sideshow? yep, best sideshow ever. when the cubs were losing 90 games every year it was fucking great having harry there. he was the best. no doubt about it. i cried when he died. i won't cry when brenley dies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

rube, generally i like you, but when you make posts like that, you're just a douche.

repeat after me:

"just because someone disagrees with the forehead, doesn't mean they are wrong."

say that to yourself 100 times. live it, learn it.

harry was anything but bad til the day he died. i'll sleep easy tonight knowing that i'm truthful to myself, my family, and the good lord upstairs.
You and your earlobes are delusional.