Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injury Log on the Big 3
Meh. The whole "counting on Wood & Prior" thing is overrated. The earliest a reasonable argument can be made that we did but shouldn't was 2005, given their injury-riddled 2004 seasons. But, 2004 was the first time Prior had been injured, so I don't think you can make a strong argument that we shouldn't have counted on them going into 2005.

We shouldn't have counted on them in 2006, but 2 better pitchers wouldn't have come close to making that team a contender.

By 2007, Wood was a reliever & nobody was counting on Prior. So I think the only season for which Hendry can be faulted for relying upon them was 2006 and it didn't make a difference.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I'll but that.

I do think Wood is better set up for a career as a closer than as a SP. I felt comfortable with him there last year, and despite some oddball minor physical problems, he didn't seem to be having any arm trouble. So, after all the hassles we'd been through with him, I hated to see him depart as soon as he became valuable again.

Think of the other big contenders...can you imagine the Yanks, Red Sox or Phillies letting Rivera, Papelbon, or Lidge leave via free agency?
I suppose that's why I advocated keeping him. I don't even know if he's that essential for the regular season (for us), but in the playoffs, a lights-out closer seems to be one of the few things that can turn the tide.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Bottom line is this: Are we better off with Gregg or Wood? Money isn't an issue with the Cubs.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=33374:date=Apr 26 2009, 06:26 PM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Apr 26 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Bottom line is this: Are we better off with Gregg or Wood? Money isn't an issue with the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Much safer with Gregg. I really don't think there will be much of a difference in the numbers at the end of the year and I can count on Gregg to take the ball every couple days. Never been able to count on that with Wood. It's not always going to be pretty, but many more times than not he's going to get the job done. People are overreacting about him right now. He's sure as hell not going to end the season with anywhere near a 5.63 ERA.

And money definitely was an issue with the Cubs when they decided to do this. We were on a budget and trying to fit Peavy's salary into the payroll, which was going to be damn tough. Now we have more leeway it appears, but that wasn't the case a few months ago.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=33377:date=Apr 26 2009, 07:16 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 26 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=33374:date=Apr 26 2009, 06:26 PM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Apr 26 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Bottom line is this: Are we better off with Gregg or Wood? Money isn't an issue with the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Much safer with Gregg. I really don't think there will be much of a difference in the numbers at the end of the year and I can count on Gregg to take the ball every couple days. Never been able to count on that with Wood. It's not always going to be pretty, but many more times than not he's going to get the job done. People are overreacting about him right now. He's sure as hell not going to end the season with anywhere near a 5.63 ERA.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can remember Wood blowing some saves early last year and a lot of people complaining about him, and he ended up doing fine. So I think Gregg deserves more of a chance, and will most likely put up similar numbers as Clapp said.
It's very fair to say that Hendry had some budget constraints this past winter.
I do hope that Ricketts is willing to spend the money to keep the Cubs in the upper echelon of payrolls.
We're gonna need it.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
From Yahoo:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Third baseman Aramis Ramirez, though, is likely to miss a fifth consecutive game after straining his calf Friday in St. Louis.

“If it’s not any better then, we’re going to have to weigh all our options,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said of Ramirez, who’s hitting .358 with three homers and 14 RBIs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
Sorry everyone. I've already decided that I'm far too lazy to update this regularly. It would require me to do something. I feel that's a bit beyond the reach of my abilities, so I'll just let you guys update the thread when one of them gets hurt again.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=33997:date=Apr 29 2009, 10:48 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Apr 29 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sorry everyone. I've already decided that I'm far too lazy to update this regularly. It would require me to do something. I feel that's a bit beyond the reach of my abilities, so I'll just let you guys update the thread when one of them gets hurt again.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place in the late 2000's - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis and the Swine Flu. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about Andy here - Andy from Greenville. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Andy. Andy, from Greenville. And even if he's a lazy man - and Andy was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in all of Outagamie County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. Sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Well, I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced it enough.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=34001:date=Apr 29 2009, 11:31 AM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Apr 29 2009, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=33997:date=Apr 29 2009, 10:48 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Apr 29 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sorry everyone. I've already decided that I'm far too lazy to update this regularly. It would require me to do something. I feel that's a bit beyond the reach of my abilities, so I'll just let you guys update the thread when one of them gets hurt again.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place in the late 2000's - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis and the Swine Flu. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about Andy here - Andy from Greenville. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Andy. Andy, from Greenville. And even if he's a lazy man - and Andy was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in all of Outagamie County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. Sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Well, I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced it enough.

Sure as shit, as much as a man can love another man, I love you Jody. You crack my shit up.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
Right back atcha big guy.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=33995:date=Apr 29 2009, 09:31 AM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Apr 29 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From Yahoo:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Third baseman Aramis Ramirez, though, is likely to miss a fifth consecutive game after straining his calf Friday in St. Louis.

“If it’s not any better then, we’re going to have to weigh all our options,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said of Ramirez, who’s hitting .358 with three homers and 14 RBIs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah it's not doing any better and it sounds like he could be headed to the DL.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=34001:date=Apr 29 2009, 11:31 AM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Apr 29 2009, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=33997:date=Apr 29 2009, 10:48 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Apr 29 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sorry everyone. I've already decided that I'm far too lazy to update this regularly. It would require me to do something. I feel that's a bit beyond the reach of my abilities, so I'll just let you guys update the thread when one of them gets hurt again.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Andy abides.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=34030:date=Apr 29 2009, 02:26 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 29 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=33995:date=Apr 29 2009, 09:31 AM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Apr 29 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From Yahoo:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Third baseman Aramis Ramirez, though, is likely to miss a fifth consecutive game after straining his calf Friday in St. Louis.

Yeah it's not doing any better and it sounds like he could be headed to the DL.
Who do we call up? Blanco? Rivas? Scales? Barney? Thomas? It has to be a MI or 3B.
The Stranger: I like your style, Andy.
The Andy: Well I dig your style too, man. Got a whole cowboy thing goin'.
The Stranger: Thankie, there's just one thing, Andy.
The Andy: Whassat?
The Stranger: D'ya have to use s'many cuss words?
The Andy: What the fuck are you talking about?
The Stranger: Okay Andy, have it your way.
The Andy: Yeah. Well, the Andy abides.
The Stranger: The Andy abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there, the Andy, takin' her easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals.