Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs trade Pie
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/spit.gif[/img]
[Image: lou.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

I'm surprised the Cubs would go with Gaithright over Pie. Can someone explain to me what Joey G brings to the table that Pie doesn't have the potential to do? Neither are great hitters - both are fast. Neither gets great reads, both cover ground. Neither have much power, both can hit the gap.

After investing so much in developing Pie, I'm surprised they gave up on him now - even moreso that they did it and put Joey G in his spot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Hitting the gap, pie, g-spot? I just couldn't read that post without giggling like a junior high girl.
Seriously though, I think Hendry did the right thing here. He learned from the Corey Patterson experiment. Even if Joey doesn't do much, it can't be worse than Pie.
<!--quoteo(post=12695:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Tailgater)-->QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

I'm surprised the Cubs would go with Gaithright over Pie. Can someone explain to me what Joey G brings to the table that Pie doesn't have the potential to do? Neither are great hitters - both are fast. Neither gets great reads, both cover ground. Neither have much power, both can hit the gap.

After investing so much in developing Pie, I'm surprised they gave up on him now - even moreso that they did it and put Joey G in his spot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Hitting the gap, pie, g-spot? I just couldn't read that post without giggling like a junior high girl.
Seriously though, I think Hendry did the right thing here. He learned from the Corey Patterson experiment. Even if Joey doesn't do much, it can't be worse than Pie.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He learned to wait too long on a guy before selling? Oh wait.
<!--quoteo(post=12701:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12695:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Tailgater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

If Hendry would've traded Pie last year, everybody would've bitched at him for giving up on Pie way too early. I would've been fine with dealing him last year, but we had plans of the guy being the starting centerfielder and there was reason to believe he could still be good. The Cubs figured like most of us did that Pie would start to shorten his swing and make some adjustments, and he never did. Looking back, sure, would've been nice to get a better package in return for him but you can't blame Hendry for seeing what Pie could do. Our centerfielders coming into last season were him and Reed(who we signed in ST). Giving the 23-year-old with all the talent in the world a chance over some scrub CF in free agency looked like the right thing to do.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=12702:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12701:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12695:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Tailgater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

If Hendry would've traded Pie last year, everybody would've bitched at him for giving up on Pie way too early. I would've been fine with dealing him last year, but we had plans of the guy being the starting centerfielder and there was reason to believe he could still be good. The Cubs figured like most of us did that Pie would start to shorten his swing and make some adjustments, and he never did. Looking back, sure, would've been nice to get a better package in return for him but you can't blame Hendry for seeing what Pie could do. Our centerfielders coming into last season were him and Reed(who we signed in ST). Giving the 23-year-old with all the talent in the world a chance over some scrub CF in free agency looked like the right thing to do.
Also, from the recent comments out of the SD front office regarding Pie, it sounds as though the interest in Pie around the league was pretty low, and we probably got fair value. Trading him isn't the least bit surprising, given the fact that he was out of options and that we weren't going to get much use out of him as a 5th OF.
I'm in the minority here, but I don't think Hendry waited too long to trade him at all. Sure we could have gotten more value out of him earlier, but we were also relying on him to be our Opening Day center fielder last year. Hendry couldn't go into the season with the only CFs being Reed Johnson (who was signed late in the off season and was just coming off back surgery) and Sam Fuld. Who knew we were going to strike gold with Jim Edmonds and then move Fuk to center. I guess you could make a case for dealing him at the deadline, but I don't really see what else he could have got for him then, so it just wasn't worth it.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=12702:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12701:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12695:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Tailgater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

You can spin it any way you want but at the end of the day another hyped Cub prospect fizzled out and was traded for scraps. Like I said before, just another failure of the Cubs minor league system, and if the GM of the organization is not to blame for that then who are we to blame?
<!--quoteo(post=12706:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:56 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12702:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12701:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12695:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Tailgater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

You can spin it any way you want but at the end of the day another hyped Cub prospect fizzled out and was traded for scraps. Like I said before, just another failure of the Cubs minor league system, and if the GM of the organization is not to blame for that then who are we to blame?
Well if you want to blame Hendry for Pie not developing that's fine I guess, but that isn't what you said.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=12706:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:56 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12702:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12701:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12695:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Tailgater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

If the pitchers we got for Pie are used to get Peavy then is it a bad trade? Also, I am not sure how you can say our minor league system has failed. Sure, we haven't really produced any stars...but without that minor league system we don't have Lee, Ramirez, Harden, Theriot. Too many people want to base the success of a minor league system on the stars they produce...I say F that, the minor league system should be based just as much on the stars they bring in!
I also forgot our terrible system producing last years ROY and the starting catcher in the AS game. Forgot Zambrano also.

Brock, our system has been plenty successful.
I've never been a fan of Pie to begin with and I think we got fair value for him. Especially if we wind up moving Olson to the Pads as part of a Peavy deal. He just wasn't going to figure into our longterm plans at this point as a starter. Might as well move him while you can.

My issue with this though is something that may or may not come back to bite Hendry in the ass: What if you CAN NOT deal for Peavy now? Then, you've dealt Pie to Baltimore for something that's probably not going to help us immediately very much, if ever, while it could have gone(possibly at least) towards a Brian Roberts package with the same team you dealt him to. I just hope Jimbo has the Peavy deal already set up, or else we may have squandered a nice piece of trade bait for nothing. Because Roberts would look awfully nice at the top of our order in 2009, especially if we don't get Peavy.
Oh, and in a perfect world, we wouldn't have dealt for fucking Juan Pierre. We'd still have Ricky Nolasco at the league minimum, wouldn't even be looking for starting pitching at all, and would already have Roberts at the top of our order by now as well.
<!--quoteo(post=12708:date=Jan 20 2009, 11:10 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 20 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12706:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:56 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12702:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12701:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12695:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Tailgater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

If the pitchers we got for Pie are used to get Peavy then is it a bad trade? Also, I am not sure how you can say our minor league system has failed. Sure, we haven't really produced any stars...but without that minor league system we don't have Lee, Ramirez, Harden, Theriot. Too many people want to base the success of a minor league system on the stars they produce...I say F that, the minor league system should be based just as much on the stars they bring in!

Getting Peavy will be the only way this (so far) mess of an offseason turns out well.

I don't think we disagree too much on the rest - of course the Lee + Ramirez acquisitions were good things. But does that mean our system is churning out quality talent like it should be? (Runnys - sure it's gotten better as of late especially on the pitching side of things but come on, before Soto how many quality position players has our system produced?)

On Harden - I'm not going to put that one down in the "win" column just yet, until he proves that he can stay somewhat healthy over an entire season. Theriot - if he's one of the better players out of the system lately I think that says a lot about its (lack of) success.

Glad to see you posting again, by the way.

Edit - I totally thought it was Payton I was responding to, sorry... been a long day.
Payt, even if this does not lead to Peavy all of the five pitchers Hendry has aquired this offseason still have options left. So he has bought some time. Cedano, Guzman, and I think Wuertz are all out of options and in jeopardy of not making the team.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=12707:date=Jan 20 2009, 11:07 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Jan 20 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12706:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:56 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12702:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12701:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 20 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12695:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Tailgater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

Well if you want to blame Hendry for Pie not developing that's fine I guess, but that isn't what you said.

Well, that's oversimplifying it a bit, but yeah, I think Hendry, as the head of the organization, does have to shoulder the blame for the continued failure of our system.

As far as the trade goes - I don't think Pie's value could be any lower than it is right now, which is why I'm not a big fan of it (unless we get Peavy, which I still think is doubtful). He either needed to cut bait earlier when he still had some value or just hang onto him and hope he would have at least shown flashes in limited time this season to get some of his value back.