Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeRosa Traded to Indians
<!--quoteo(post=8413:date=Jan 2 2009, 06:59 PM:name=DaveB)-->QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 2 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Will Miles provide the same clubhouse leadership that DeRo did?
Will Miles be the charismatic fan favorite that DeRo was?

Nope.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And how exactly do you know this? Do you know Miles personally? What if Miles comes out in ST and says he wants to stick it to the Cardinals every game this year?
<!--quoteo(post=8387:date=Jan 2 2009, 04:02 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 2 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8384:date=Jan 2 2009, 03:51 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 2 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8383:date=Jan 2 2009, 02:48 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 2 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->To put it a different way...

DeRosa + Bradley > Miles + Bradley + 3 shit prospects<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It sounds to me like at least one of those guys can contribute in our bullpen, and last I checked, our bullpen was pretty thin. If we hardly have money to sign Bradley where was the money to fill holes in the bullpen going to come from?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
We have plenty on our roster to fill out our bullpen already. Our bullpen was solid last year and we're better off without Howry (especially since Lou won't feel whatever weird obligation he had to pitch him every other game anymore). Gregg is a slight downgrade from Wood.

You fill it out with Gregg, Shark, Marshall, Wuertz, Marmol, Cotts, Gaudin, Guzman and maybe some other guys who audition for a bullpen spot in Spring Training. That's plenty of arms to fill out a decent bullpen. We didn't need to trade one of our most valuable players (on both sides of the field) to get a guy who *might* contribute to our bullpen. Also, Bradley is going to play in about 120 games. Wouldn't you feel a whole lot better with DeRosa as his replacement? Or are you OK with Miles playing 40+ games in RF?

We are going to lose a lot of the people on that list when the Peavy trade goes down. The olympic guy is as good as gone in that trade as well. San Diego has to put together a team on a $40 million budget, these major league ready arms making at or near league minimum are going to be at a premium for them. Marshall, Olsen(Pie is as good as gone when Gathright signed), Mr. Olympic, Wuertz, and Guzman are all going to be gone. Just remeber we are talking about having a budget crunch with a $140 million payroll, SD has to find 25 major leaguers for $100 million less. It also sounds like the Cubs really like the righthander from A ball, so system depth is something to look at here as well.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=8454:date=Jan 2 2009, 08:58 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Jan 2 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8387:date=Jan 2 2009, 04:02 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 2 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8384:date=Jan 2 2009, 03:51 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 2 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8383:date=Jan 2 2009, 02:48 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 2 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->To put it a different way...

DeRosa + Bradley > Miles + Bradley + 3 shit prospects<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It sounds to me like at least one of those guys can contribute in our bullpen, and last I checked, our bullpen was pretty thin. If we hardly have money to sign Bradley where was the money to fill holes in the bullpen going to come from?
We have plenty on our roster to fill out our bullpen already. Our bullpen was solid last year and we're better off without Howry (especially since Lou won't feel whatever weird obligation he had to pitch him every other game anymore). Gregg is a slight downgrade from Wood.

You fill it out with Gregg, Shark, Marshall, Wuertz, Marmol, Cotts, Gaudin, Guzman and maybe some other guys who audition for a bullpen spot in Spring Training. That's plenty of arms to fill out a decent bullpen. We didn't need to trade one of our most valuable players (on both sides of the field) to get a guy who *might* contribute to our bullpen. Also, Bradley is going to play in about 120 games. Wouldn't you feel a whole lot better with DeRosa as his replacement? Or are you OK with Miles playing 40+ games in RF?

We are going to lose a lot of the people on that list when the Peavy trade goes down. The olympic guy is as good as gone in that trade as well. San Diego has to put together a team on a $40 million budget, these major league ready arms making at or near league minimum are going to be at a premium for them. Marshall, Olsen(Pie is as good as gone when Gathright signed), Mr. Olympic, Wuertz, and Guzman are all going to be gone. Just remeber we are talking about having a budget crunch with a $140 million payroll, SD has to find 25 major leaguers for $100 million less. It also sounds like the Cubs really like the righthander from A ball, so system depth is something to look at here as well.
Yeah I could definitely see that. Like you said and I said earlier, just because we got these prospects from Cleveland doesn't at all mean these are the guys we'd be sending to San Diego. The olympic guy makes sense for the reasons guy said, but we might hang on to 2 of them for example to replace arms we'll be trading away. One thing that always drives me nuts is the "They don't have the prospects to make a deal" nonsense. Every team has the prospects, it's just a matter of who and how many they're willing to trade. The team trading these prospects away has to have players to replace them, and you'd prefer they were capable players rather than just trash.
@TheBlogfines
Well... maybe the Padres will be getting some more money to work with soon and won't need to trade Peavy:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Jeff Moorad resigned as chief executive officer of the Arizona Diamondbacks to pursue ownership of the San Diego Padres.

The team promoted team president Derrick Hall to chief executive officer, Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick said Friday.

Moorad will maintain his share of Diamondbacks ownership but would have to sell that if his effort to purchase the Padres is successful, Kendrick said.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=8468:date=Jan 2 2009, 09:51 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 2 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well... maybe the Padres will be getting some more money to work with soon and won't need to trade Peavy:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Jeff Moorad resigned as chief executive officer of the Arizona Diamondbacks to pursue ownership of the San Diego Padres.

The team promoted team president Derrick Hall to chief executive officer, Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick said Friday.

Moorad will maintain his share of Diamondbacks ownership but would have to sell that if his effort to purchase the Padres is successful, Kendrick said.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would signal the end of any likelihood of a Peavy trade.
<!--quoteo(post=8476:date=Jan 2 2009, 11:37 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 2 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8468:date=Jan 2 2009, 09:51 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 2 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well... maybe the Padres will be getting some more money to work with soon and won't need to trade Peavy:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Jeff Moorad resigned as chief executive officer of the Arizona Diamondbacks to pursue ownership of the San Diego Padres.

Why? No correlation of Moorad resigning to Peavy being traded.
[Image: lou.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=8479:date=Jan 3 2009, 12:36 AM:name=Mikey)-->QUOTE (Mikey @ Jan 3 2009, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8476:date=Jan 2 2009, 11:37 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 2 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8468:date=Jan 2 2009, 09:51 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 2 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well... maybe the Padres will be getting some more money to work with soon and won't need to trade Peavy:

Why? No correlation of Moorad resigning to Peavy being traded.
If he buys the Padres... they have money. They've been ordered to cut payroll significantly which is why I figured Peavy would be a Cub by Spring Training. It's where he reportedly wants to be, we're going to have an open spot in the rotation, we have a bit more money now, Hendry talked about the bullpen in the last few days naming Marshall like he's a part of it... connect the dots. But now if Moorad's going to buy the team and they have money, why deal Peavy? His contract isn't ridiculous by any means for the pitcher he is, but he's got the biggest contract on the team and it sounded like they had to slash at least 10 million, so they felt forced to do it. I mean maybe they'd still be interested in trading him because they're a bunch of pieces away and would rather have a few potentially good players than just one, but I can't see that. It's a 27-year-old pitcher that's already got a Cy Young under his belt, why trade him if you can afford him?

If Hendry intended to acquire Peavy which I believe is the case, and that's why he's made these moves, we're really fucked. I wouldn't be surprised to see that Marquis deal not go through if Moorad is in fact going to own this team and soon.
@TheBlogfines
Just because he buys a chunk of the team, doesn't mean they will raise their payroll. It doesn't "signal the end".
[Image: lou.jpg]
Yeah I doubt it changes anything and these things are also very slow moving, if anything happens, I would think it would take a while.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Moorad said Friday he heads a "small but significant" group of investors that has an exclusive right to complete the specifics of negotiations with Padres owner John Moores. Moorad said he hopes the transaction can be completed in the next three months.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=8481:date=Jan 2 2009, 11:45 PM:name=Mikey)-->QUOTE (Mikey @ Jan 2 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just because he buys a chunk of the team, doesn't mean they will raise their payroll. It doesn't "signal the end".<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure it does. It's a cash infusion into a cash strapped team. They'll have no reason to trade Peavy, especially if he's the only reason that anyone would bother to go see the Pads play.
<!--quoteo(post=8484:date=Jan 3 2009, 01:19 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 3 2009, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8481:date=Jan 2 2009, 11:45 PM:name=Mikey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mikey @ Jan 2 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just because he buys a chunk of the team, doesn't mean they will raise their payroll. It doesn't "signal the end".<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure it does. It's a cash infusion into a cash strapped team. They'll have no reason to trade Peavy, especially if he's the only reason that anyone would bother to go see the Pads play.
I'm not buying it. You don't just start a rebuilding process, sell off significant pieces of your team and then reverse it all just because a new part owner comes along. All proportionate sale proceeds won't go directly into the team anyway. Maybe next season or late in 2009 payroll might go up to a normal level, but for the foreseeable future, no dice.
When asked if it could be assumed his involvement would mean Peavy would be removed from the trade market, Moorad replied, “You should assume nothing of the sort. John and Becky (Moores) remain the primary owners of the Padres. I have no influence at all, nor will I have any influence on any of their personnel decisions.

San Diego Union Tribune

Yeah, now we have something else to talk about.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
even with Moorad buying the team, you could still have a situation where Peavy wants out, as the team isn't going to be very good very soon.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=8508:date=Jan 3 2009, 10:23 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jan 3 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->even with Moorad buying the team, you could still have a situation where Peavy wants out, as the team isn't going to be very good very soon.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It used to be that an ownership change always triggered a rebuilding mode, because the new owner was pretty broke after the deal.

Nowadays...the investment is so large that the new owner needs a winning franchise ASAP. Hard to know what this would mean for the Padres.