Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian Roberts
http://masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

Roberts to Chicago...the other Chicago?
Your link doesn't work.
I got nothin'.

Andy
That's because I'm an idiot. Let me try again...

<!--quoteo(post=8422:date=Jan 2 2009, 08:11 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 2 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->http://masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sweet. Not sure how I managed to screw it up, but thanks.
Now that we have an opening at 2B, it would make more sense to go after Roberts, especailly after how close (supposedly) we came to getting him this past Spring.
Are there any rumors or rumblings that Hendry is talking to the Orioles again, or are we most likely out of the picture now?
that would be a steal for the Orioles.
[Image: lou.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=8424:date=Jan 2 2009, 08:15 PM:name=DaveB)-->QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 2 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Now that we have an opening at 2B, it would make more sense to go after Roberts, especailly after how close (supposedly) we came to getting him this past Spring.
Are there any rumors or rumblings that Hendry is talking to the Orioles again, or are we most likely out of the picture now?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't seen any insider type rumblings. Just bald speculation.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=8427:date=Jan 2 2009, 08:26 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 2 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8424:date=Jan 2 2009, 08:15 PM:name=DaveB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 2 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Now that we have an opening at 2B, it would make more sense to go after Roberts, especailly after how close (supposedly) we came to getting him this past Spring.
Are there any rumors or rumblings that Hendry is talking to the Orioles again, or are we most likely out of the picture now?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't seen any insider type rumblings. Just bald speculation.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
According to somebody on NSBB, Hendry last night said on the radio that he's not pursuing Roberts, how the Orioles made it pretty clear they're not trading him.
@TheBlogfines
I love Brian Roberts... plays hard, great 2nd baseman, ideal leadoff hitter, great basestealer, etc. But...

Roberts in 08:
611 AB, .296 BA, 51 2B, 8 3B, 9 HR, 57 RBI, 82 BB, 104 K, 40 SB, 10 CS, .378 OBP, .450 SLG, .828 OPS

Fontenot in 08:
243 AB, .305 BA, 22 2B, 1 3B, 9 HR, 40 RBI, 34 BB, 51 K, 2 SB, 0 CS, .395 OBP, .514 SLG, .909 OPS

Yeah it's very possible Fontenot doesn't put up the same numbers again, but he's showed that he can hit and has plenty of pop in his bat. He hits the ball with authority at least once or twice every game it seems. Now whether or not he could do that with 400+ at bats remains to be seen, but if he struggles we have Miles of course. A Fontenot/Miles combo should be plenty good enough, and it's at least not worth trading a few of our best prospects for a guy that might not even put up better numbers aside from on the basepaths.
@TheBlogfines
Clapp, when I see Fontenot's line it brings home the fact that the little guy at the very least deserves to get the chance to see what he can do with 400-450 ab's. That really was some very impressive production in limited ab's last year.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
Fontenot/Miles is an upgrade defensively over DeRosa, fwiw.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=8438:date=Jan 2 2009, 09:10 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Jan 2 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Clapp, when I see Fontenot's line it brings home the fact that the little guy at the very least deserves to get the chance to see what he can do with 400-450 ab's. That really was some very impressive production in limited ab's last year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'd be all for that. If he starts to fade we have Miles. If neither of them are working which I don't think will be the case, maybe we explore trading for somebody like Roberts at the deadline.
@TheBlogfines
Miles has always been much better from the right side, so I really expect a straight platoon. And, if we do end up needing to get another secondbaseman Hendry has always shown an uncanny ability to accumulate people who play second so I'm really not worried.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

-Jody
Also Fontenot is starting to remind me of Todd Walker with the ability to field his position.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

-Jody