Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeRosa Traded to Indians
<!--quoteo(post=8055:date=Dec 31 2008, 07:33 PM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 31 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This sucks. I'm getting hammered tonight.

ORF<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Me Too. I have the shits already though, probably because we traded DeRosa and I'm pissed.

CLAPP
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=8057:date=Dec 31 2008, 06:37 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 31 2008, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8055:date=Dec 31 2008, 07:33 PM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 31 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This sucks. I'm getting hammered tonight.

ORF<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Me Too. I have the shits already though, probably because we traded DeRosa and I'm pissed.

CLAPP
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm also officially concerned. I'm staring down two bottles of ripple as I type.

ROK
<!--quoteo(post=8021:date=Dec 31 2008, 03:44 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 31 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Aaron Miles career OPS+
He's 32 years old.
A complete fucking waste of 5 million dollars.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You realize that $2.5 M per season is right about 1.5% of the Cubs total payroll, correct?
FWIW, whatever happens is gonna happen way slower than any of us will like. The building of this team is gonna take at least another month and probably 2 or more months. So, I think it'd be in everyone's best interest to sit back and wait to see how it pans out. The truth of the matter is, none of the moves that have happened so far have drastically changed the makeup of this team at all and haven't been make or break-type moves. If we start to see tons of FAs being signed and trades made involving some Cub targets going elsewhere, it'll be time to worry. Until that happens though, I see no reason to get all bent out of shape. There have been no big trades and there's still 150 FAs out there looking for teams. It's gonna be a slow go until this thing is over.
<!--quoteo(post=8046:date=Dec 31 2008, 06:25 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 31 2008, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't know if it's possible to fit Peavy, Roberts, and Bradley into the payroll, but it crossed my mind. Penis and Roberts are each making 8 million, Bradley would probably be about the same especially since Hendry backloads everything. We'd be getting rid of at least a couple million with whatever we traded. But that would probably push our payroll into the 150's right? Maybe it's possible after the ownership situation is solved. Regardless, I'd just rather go with Fontenot/Miles than give up Fontenot and others for Roberts.

Anyway, we need another starting pitcher. We know Harden won't pitch much, and if he does they're idiots.

Maybe Marshall's capable of throwing more innings than we think, but that's really asking a lot.
His major league inning totals: 125.7, 103.3, 65.3.
His minor league inning totals: 81, 78, 94, 22, 30.2, 31.2.
Combined totals: 2006- 144.7, 2007- 136, 2008-96.7

You can't expect him to throw more than 130-150 innings, that takes conditioning. Who else are we going to go with, Shark? Same issue with him innings-wise, and really I like him more in our pen right now. The point is with Harden not being able to pitch much in all likelihood, we can't afford to have our fifth pitcher be a guy that that can only go 5 innings every start. Marquis carried so much more value to this team as it's currently constructed than some people realize. That's why I think we're going to get Peavy now. Who else could we really get that would make a difference, Lowe? The Mets just offered him 3 yrs/ 36 mm.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that Marshall along with Samardzija, Angel Guzman, and Mitch Atkins can fill out what would be needed from a 5th startert. That being said, I wouldn't be too happy with trading DeRosa and having those guys pitch from the 5 spot in our rotation all year long unless 2 more bats are added to the lineup.

If Peavy isn't coming to Chicago, I can't make any sense of this deal at all. None.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"We'll be adding some more people before we get to Spring Training," Hendry said Wednesday. "We feel confident we'll put a better club on the field by the time Opening Day starts than we had last year. Sometimes, you have to move dollars to add dollars in other areas. It's a transition with the ownership change. We're moving forward, and we're not worried about having enough flexibility to get the things done that we want to."

When Hendry looked at the lineup and tried to find spots where he could add left-handed bats, it became obvious that second base and right field were the only openings. Fontenot was expected to get more playing time, Hendry said.

"This has nothing to do with the type of player DeRosa is," Hendry said.

DeRosa, 33, was playing golf on Wednesday when Hendry called with the surprising news. Since that call, his cell phone has been buzzing all day as his now former Cubs teammates check in to say goodbye.

"I'll miss the city, I'll miss driving to the park and seeing all the people, I'll miss putting on the uniform," DeRosa told MLB.com. "Everything about that place [Wrigley Field] is special. But it's a business and you have to move on."

It's been quite the year for DeRosa, who began the season dealing with an irregular heartbeat that limited him in Spring Training. On New Year's Eve, he will now toast a new team and a different position.

"I'm excited about playing third," he said.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tim Brown of Yahoo
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Asked if Hendry’s dealings meant talks with the Cubs regarding Peavy might reopen, Padres GM Kevin Towers responded with a one-word email: “Doubtful.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By the way, Sully says we're likely going to sign Bako to a 1-year deal worth around 500 K.
@TheBlogfines
I'm always on wait and see, but right now...this sucks everything.
I guess Hendry to settle for those three bums considering Trachsel wasn't obtainable.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
If this doesn't lead to Peavy, I have no idea what the hell Hendry is thinking. Wood and DeRo gone. Gregg and Miles on board. So far the team has been downgraded.

But yes...let's wait and see.
People aren't living in reality if they think this was all done for just Bradley. Whether or not Hendry can acquire Peavy remains to be seen, but I think that's what his plan is anyway. Does anybody really believe he'd make all these moves just so we can for sure land a guy that's spent most of his career on the DL? We're making at least 2 big moves, Bradley's likely 1 of them.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=8070:date=Jan 1 2009, 12:15 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 1 2009, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If this doesn't lead to Peavy, I have no idea what the hell Hendry is thinking. Wood and DeRo gone. Gregg and Miles on board.
So far the team has been <b>downgraded</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Boy, I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right Butch.
Gregg is a "closer," but just a pale imitation of Wood.
Miles is a similar, but significantly worse version of DeRosa.

Maybe we can trade Marmol for LaTroy and <i>really</i> get on the downgrade roll.

Actually, I don't mean to joke. This is getting scary. Especially if you include the fact that we signed freaking <i>Gathright</i>.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->After trading Mark DeRosa to the Cleveland Indians and signing free-agent infielder Aaron Miles in correlated moves Wednesday, the Cubs are poised to complete their priority offseason activity as early as next week.

That's when the trade of right-hander Jason Marquis to the Colorado Rockies for reliever Luis Vizcaino and the subsequent signing of free-agent outfielder Milton Bradley are expected to become official.

And when the dust settles on those moves, the Cubs will be in position to revisit the Jake Peavy trade talks with the San Diego Padres or even -- as the Baltimore Sun speculated -- the Brian Roberts talks with the Orioles that went nowhere a year ago.

The Cubs would operate from a position of strength in either potential negotiation, and the acquisition of three touted pitching prospects for DeRosa deepens the well of possible trading pieces.

Based on conversations with several sources, the flexibility to pursue another starting pitcher -- especially if it's Peavy -- likely hinges on the Cubs' ownership transition taking clearer shape in the coming weeks. A key timeframe might be the quarterly owners meetings Jan. 13-15 in Phoenix.

The Cubs and Padres haven't discussed a Peavy trade since the Cubs pulled out of negotiations more than two weeks ago at the winter meetings.

''We certainly wouldn't close the door on anything,'' general manager Jim Hendry said when asked about the desire to replace the starting pitcher he might lose in a trade. ''Once we add the outfielder we want to add, we'll take a good look where we're at. The pen is getting deeper and deeper. We'll see how we want to shape up the starting situation, whether we pursue somebody else or use somebody internally in that role.''

Left-hander Sean Marshall is the top in-house candidate to replace Marquis in the rotation, with young right-hander Jeff Samardzija next in line.

Although one team official said during the winter meetings that DeRosa would be traded only as part of an effort to acquire Peavy, the Cubs' plans evolved enough since then that they said the DeRosa trade was made independent of Peavy considerations.

Meanwhile, getting Bradley in the fold remains the top priority. The parameters of a multiyear deal are in place with the volatile, switch-hitting outfielder, who so far has agreed to await the Cubs' payroll-clearing moves before signing.

The Washington Nationals are making a serious push to swoop in on Bradley, according to an MLB.com report. But the Cubs appear confident they'll land their main target of the offseason.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Among the pitchers the Cubs acquired from the Indians is right-hander Jeff Stevens, the closer for Team USA at the Beijing Olympics. He goes on the 40-man roster and will be given a chance to make the 25-man roster in spring training.

The Cubs also acquired two Class A pitchers: hard-throwing right-hander Chris Archer and lefty John Gaub, the latter of whom is expected to start the season at Class AA Tennessee.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry... just felt it was all important, didn't quote the whole article though.
Link(Wittenmyer)
@TheBlogfines
This officially blows...

<!--quoteo(post=8075:date=Jan 1 2009, 03:11 AM:name=Dingo)-->QUOTE (Dingo @ Jan 1 2009, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This officially blows...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm going to wait and see what happens before saying it blows.