Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeRosa Traded to Indians
<!--quoteo(post=8035:date=Dec 31 2008, 04:19 PM:name=cigar)-->QUOTE (cigar @ Dec 31 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Didn't the Padres want some average prospect from the O's when those rumors were flying around? It seemed like he was also a high K rate guy with control problems.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think so. I also didn't realize that this Stevens character was the USA Olympic team closer. He seems to be MLB ready, which they'd prefer. Not sure about the 2 A ball pitchers though.
Then that's it. We're gettin' Peavy.

I shiver with antici.....................

pation.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I just woke up and I am pretty fucking shocked. I just can't believe what the fuck happened today. I hate Aaron Miles. He's a little piece of shit. NOw, I have to root for the little asshole? Dero for what? Seriously? This makes no sense! and I usually feel it's better to wait and see what else happens but losing dero and gaining Miles and 3 low level prospects doesn't seem like it helps our team next year at all.

What the fuck!
<!--quoteo(post=8039:date=Dec 31 2008, 04:32 PM:name=CCwinwssoon)-->QUOTE (CCwinwssoon @ Dec 31 2008, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just woke up<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Are you a vampire?
<!--quoteo(post=8040:date=Dec 31 2008, 04:40 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 31 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8039:date=Dec 31 2008, 04:32 PM:name=CCwinwssoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CCwinwssoon @ Dec 31 2008, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just woke up<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Are you a vampire?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do prefer the night life.
<!--quoteo(post=8038:date=Dec 31 2008, 05:31 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 31 2008, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Then that's it. We're gettin' Peavy.

I shiver with antici.....................

pation.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If not Peavy, Brian Roberts.
I like you guys a lot.
I don't know if it's possible to fit Peavy, Roberts, and Bradley into the payroll, but it crossed my mind. Penis and Roberts are each making 8 million, Bradley would probably be about the same especially since Hendry backloads everything. We'd be getting rid of at least a couple million with whatever we traded. But that would probably push our payroll into the 150's right? Maybe it's possible after the ownership situation is solved. Regardless, I'd just rather go with Fontenot/Miles than give up Fontenot and others for Roberts.

Anyway, we need another starting pitcher. We know Harden won't pitch much, and if he does they're idiots.

Maybe Marshall's capable of throwing more innings than we think, but that's really asking a lot.
His major league inning totals: 125.7, 103.3, 65.3.
His minor league inning totals: 81, 78, 94, 22, 30.2, 31.2.
Combined totals: 2006- 144.7, 2007- 136, 2008-96.7

You can't expect him to throw more than 130-150 innings, that takes conditioning. Who else are we going to go with, Shark? Same issue with him innings-wise, and really I like him more in our pen right now. The point is with Harden not being able to pitch much in all likelihood, we can't afford to have our fifth pitcher be a guy that that can only go 5 innings every start. Marquis carried so much more value to this team as it's currently constructed than some people realize. That's why I think we're going to get Peavy now. Who else could we really get that would make a difference, Lowe? The Mets just offered him 3 yrs/ 36 mm.
@TheBlogfines
Anybody just catch what Kap had to say about all this on Tribune Live? I was on the phone.
@TheBlogfines
We don't need Brian Roberts; I like him, but he's a luxury. And the O's have indicated that they will indeed hold us up at gunpoint...they'll likely expect Font, Vitters and another valuable guy.

Like I said, I like him; if we could obtain him without getting reamed in the process, I'd be all for it, but Andy Mc doesn't seem to want to see us do well, and is thus demanding an obscene amount for his aging keystone-sacker.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=8048:date=Dec 31 2008, 06:47 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 31 2008, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We don't need Brian Roberts; I like him, but he's a luxury. And the O's have indicated that they will indeed hold us up at gunpoint...they'll likely expect Font, Vitters and another valuable guy.

Like I said, I like him; if we could obtain him without getting reamed in the process, I'd be all for it, but Andy Mc doesn't seem to want to see us do well, and is thus demanding an obscene amount for his aging keystone-sacker.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed.
@TheBlogfines
Ugh:

From the Trib
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->By Paul Sullivan

Aaron Miles was non-tendered by the Cardinals for the second year in a row, then rejected a last-minute overture by St. Louis to sign a two-year, $4.9 million deal with the Cubs.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said he had neither Miles nor Joey Gathright on his radar a month ago, before the Winter Meetings started. Both were non-tendered by their clubs for payroll reasons, and Hendry liked their relatively low price tags, and the fact both could hit from the left side and play multiple positions. It gives manager Lou Piniella more options on double-switches.

Meanwhile, DeRosa’s departure to Cleveland, in a deal for pitching prospects Jeff Stevens, John Gaub and Chris Archer, set off much angst among Cubs fans. Many argued the team was downgrading at second base, losing power and production to get a switch-hitting singles hitter.

Hendry pointed to Miles’ versatility, the switch-hitting, his character and career average in day games.

The reason for moving DeRosa had as much to do with his position as anything. With Derrek Lee, Alfonso Soriano, Aramis Ramirez, Ryan Theriot and Geovany Soto as everyday players, second was their only option for a lefty hitter.

“There really wasn’t another place to get more left-handed than at second,” Hendry said. “We certainly like the way Fontenot played last year and we think he’s deserving of more time, and that’s why the acquisition of Miles (was made). ... When you really stop to analyze it, if you want three, four, potentially five (left-handed hitters) on the field at the same time, then second base was an area we felt like we possibly could make a change. It certainly had nothing to do with the type of player DeRosa is, and he was an integral part of us winning the last two years. ... He certainly lived up to everything we thought he would be. But when you look at it from that perspective, moving forward, that was the area to probably change the deck at.”

He declined to speculate on whether Miles would replace Alfonso Soriano as <b>leadoff man</b>, though it gives Piniella the option to change. Piniella has previously stated, repeatedly, that Soriano was his leadoff man and there were no other options on the roster.

But that chestnut is officially history, as <b>Miles can bat at the top</b> or the bottom of the order.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm over the move Alf out of the leadoff crap. He just didn't look as comfortable when we tried that, and our record has been outstanding with him leading off. Keep him where he's going to produce the most, even though ideally he'd be better suited for 3-5.
@TheBlogfines
I'm officially concerned now.
And here we go, from Peter Schmuck(seriously) of Kid's favorite Baltimore paper:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs trade sure to raise antennae in Baltimore

The Chicago Cubs just traded second baseman Mark DeRosa to the Cleveland Indians, and you all know what that means.

Well, you don't really, but you've got to be wondering if this means that the on-again, off-again trade talks involving Brian Roberts and the Cubs might be on again. The Cubs just signed versatile infielder Aaron Miles to a two-year deal, and he can play second base, but you have to believe the big-payroll Cubs will try to recover more of the offensive production they just sent to Cleveland.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
This sucks. I'm getting hammered tonight.

ORF
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit