Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeRosa Traded to Indians
We've already cut payroll from last year. We've gotten rid of the following since last opening day: Wood, Howry, Eyre, Ward, DeRosa, Marquis, Blanco. We added Harden, Gaudin, Gregg, Miles, Vizcaino. There's still a good amount of money to spend.
<!--quoteo(post=7993:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:29 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 31 2008, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We've already cut payroll from last year. We've gotten rid of the following since last opening day: Wood, Howry, Eyre, Ward, DeRosa, Marquis, Blanco. We added Harden, Gaudin, Gregg, Miles, Vizcaino. There's still a good amount of money to spend.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Don't forget that Hendry is the only GM other than the Spankees to sign a FA to a gigantic contract (one that now looks way overpriced, considering the huge slowdown on the FA pitching market).
So that, what, 13 M to Dempster?
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=7993:date=Dec 31 2008, 03:29 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 31 2008, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We've already cut payroll from last year. We've gotten rid of the following since last opening day: Wood, Howry, Eyre, Ward, DeRosa, Marquis, Blanco. We added Harden, Gaudin, Gregg, Miles, Vizcaino. There's still a good amount of money to spend.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
We also added 8 million with Dempster, and we owe a shitload more money to some guys this year than last year.

Z goes from 15 million to 17.75 million

Alf goes from 13 mil to 16 mil

Aram goes from 14 mil to 15.65 mil

Lilly goes from 7 mil to 12 mil

Fuk goes from 6 mil to 11.5 mil

Word was we could spend into the mid 140's. Wonder where we are now.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=7962:date=Dec 31 2008, 01:26 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 31 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just looked into the prospects a little more.

Jeff Stevens is a 25 year old RP ... Not a major prospect.

John Gaub will be 24 in April. He is a RP who spent the entire season in A Ball.

Chris Archer turned 20 years old in September.
4.29 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, 106K, <b>84 BB in 115 IP</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How do you fucking walk 84 guys in 115 innings? In A-ball!
We already <i>have</i> Rich Hill, dammit.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=7998:date=Dec 31 2008, 03:40 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 31 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7962:date=Dec 31 2008, 01:26 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 31 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just looked into the prospects a little more.

Jeff Stevens is a 25 year old RP ... Not a major prospect.

John Gaub will be 24 in April. He is a RP who spent the entire season in A Ball.

Chris Archer turned 20 years old in September.
4.29 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, 106K, <b>84 BB in 115 IP</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How do you fucking walk 84 guys in 115 innings? In A-ball!
We already <i>have</i> Rich Hill, dammit.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He was 19 last season in high A ball. i wouldn't get too worked up over the walks. a lot of young flame throwers struggle with their control.

For instance, Kerry wood was 19 years old at Daytona. He walked 70 in 114 innings. The next year at West Tenn he walked 79 in 94 innings and 52 in 57 innings with Iowa.

At age 22 in A ball, Randy Johnson walked 94 in 119 IP.
<!--quoteo(post=7989:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:22 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 31 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7988:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:20 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 31 2008, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7986:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:19 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 31 2008, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7980:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:08 PM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 31 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7977:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:06 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 31 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><b>Motherfuck the cocksuck!</b>
What the fuck is going on here?! I'm not even as big a DeRosa fan as most guys on this board, but even a blind man could tell you that he was an immensely valuable part of this ballclub. To shed his ass for 3 middling fucking prospects?! When the <i>best</i> prospect in the deal "might" one day become a decent back-of-the-bullpen guy?!!

And to sign Aaron Bitchfucker Miles for nearly what we were paying DeRo, when he isn't REMOTELY as good?! If this was part of a Peavy scenario, it would have been a fucking 3-way trade.
It's not.

Guess how I feel about Big Jim today?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Calm down. Why would it have to be a "3 way trade" to be part of the Peavy equation? It's free'd up salary and brought in pitching prospects, both of which we had to do to get Peavy.

I don't understand the vitriol here. Let Hendry finish what he's started, <b>he obviously has a plan.</b>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
Yeah. A <i>Hendry</i> plan. Every one of his "plans" includes paying 2.5 million to REPLACEMENT-LEVEL players...guys who you could EASILY GET for the 390K minimum.
And the Miles signing was right in the midst of him trying to SHED payroll.

Clappie, let's quote your post from last night about how Jim is such a magnificent GM, and that you're always on the same page as him.
(sorry Clappie, but I let that post slide last night because of my regard for you personally. But all bets are off after today's dizzying turn of events).
If we don't get something like Peavy now, I take that quote back. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Agreed, if we make no further moves I will agree to Hendry having fucked up. As it stands, I'll give him some time to work.
Same here. I will reserve judgment until I see how this plays out.
Is there a way to block a specific poster from posting in a specific thread? If so, I think this needs to be explored.
<!--quoteo(post=8002:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:53 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 31 2008, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Is there a way to block a specific poster from posting in a specific thread? If so, I think this needs to be explored.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You mean when Hendry makes an asinine move (or two), it's best to take the ostrich approach?
Again, everyone needs to relax. My assumption is that Hendry is not done. If he is, then we can get upset.

For the record, it doesn't appear that we got back enough for DeRosa, but I think getting rid of salary is tough right now.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=7986:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:19 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 31 2008, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7980:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:08 PM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 31 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7977:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:06 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 31 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><b>Motherfuck the cocksuck!</b>
What the fuck is going on here?! I'm not even as big a DeRosa fan as most guys on this board, but even a blind man could tell you that he was an immensely valuable part of this ballclub. To shed his ass for 3 middling fucking prospects?! When the <i>best</i> prospect in the deal "might" one day become a decent back-of-the-bullpen guy?!!

And to sign Aaron Bitchfucker Miles for nearly what we were paying DeRo, when he isn't REMOTELY as good?! If this was part of a Peavy scenario, it would have been a fucking 3-way trade.
It's not.

Calm down. Why would it have to be a "3 way trade" to be part of the Peavy equation? It's free'd up salary and brought in pitching prospects, both of which we had to do to get Peavy.

I don't understand the vitriol here. Let Hendry finish what he's started,
<b>he obviously has a plan.</b>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
Yeah. A <i>Hendry</i> plan. Every one of his "plans" includes paying 2.5 million to REPLACEMENT-LEVEL players...guys who you could EASILY GET for the 390K minimum.

Clappie, let's quote your post from last night about how Jim is such a magnificent GM, and that you're always on the same page as him.
(sorry Clappie, but I let that post slide last night because of my regard for you personally. But all bets are off after today's dizzying turn of events).
Can you at least acknowledge that Hendry's "plan" led his team to the best record in the National League last year?
I guess the part the confuses me, is during winter meetings when DeRosa was rumored to be part of the Peavy deal, it was reported quite a few teams made offers straight up for DeRosa and Jim said DeRosa wasn't available. Makes me wonder whats changed between now and then. In addition, makes me wonder what we could have got for him back then as well.
<!--quoteo(post=8007:date=Dec 31 2008, 03:09 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 31 2008, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7986:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:19 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 31 2008, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7980:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:08 PM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 31 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7977:date=Dec 31 2008, 02:06 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 31 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><b>Motherfuck the cocksuck!</b>

It's not.

I don't understand the vitriol here. Let Hendry finish what he's started,
<b>he obviously has a plan.</b>

Can you at least acknowledge that Hendry's "plan" led his team to the best record in the National League last year?
I've already acknowledged that many times, including in this very thread.
<!--quoteo(post=8008:date=Dec 31 2008, 03:10 PM:name=twitterwoods)-->QUOTE (twitterwoods @ Dec 31 2008, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I guess the part the confuses me, is during winter meetings when DeRosa was rumored to be part of the Peavy deal, it was reported quite a few teams made offers straight up for DeRosa and Jim said DeRosa wasn't available. Makes me wonder whats changed between now and then. In addition, makes me wonder what we could have got for him back then as well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All that it means is that 95 percent of what you read as "reported", is bullshit.

Regardless of what you think about Hendry, he isn't going to turn down 5 star prospects for DeRosa, only to trade him for 3 star prospects 3 weeks later.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
When is Hendry addressing the media?
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=8018:date=Dec 31 2008, 03:33 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 31 2008, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->When is Hendry addressing the media?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, I'd love to hear the justification for today's moves. <i>Love</i> it.