Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only 3 players make more than Selig?
Check out the entire article here at ESPN.com

Some excerpts..

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->His compensation was listed at $17,470,491 for the 12 months that ended Oct. 31, 2007, according to the return, which is available at guidestar.org. That was up from $14,515,071 in the prior 12 months........

In 2007, the only players who received higher cash compensation were a trio of the Yankees: Alex Rodriguez at $23 million (plus $4 million deferred), Derek Jeter at $22 million (including a $2 million payment as part of his signing bonus) and Jason Giambi at $21.5 million (including a $500,000 payment as part of his signing bonus). Roger Clemens fell just short at $17,442,637...........<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Another interesting tid bit found in the same article..

How Selig compares to other commisioners..

<b>The compensation king</b>
[Image: mlb_g_selig_65.jpg] When it comes to the highest-earning commissioners in sports, no one's pay package measured up to Bud Selig's.

Sport Commish Total comp
MLB Bud Selig $18.35M
NFL Roger Goodell x-$11.2M
NBA David Stern y-$10M
NHL Gary Bettman $5.59M
PGA Tour Tim Finchem $4.8M
x-prorated; y-estimated
Source: SportsBusiness Journal
I had no idea the commissioners made that much money.
@TheBlogfines
And exactly what value does he add to the game? That's insane.
<!--quoteo(post=15501:date=Feb 2 2009, 03:20 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 2 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And exactly what value does he add to the game? That's insane.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He does more harm than good, as far as I can tell.
MLB is awash is money. The owners (who are the ones paying Selig) figure "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," so they want to keep Selig doing what he's doing.
Selig has continually expressed a desire to quit the gig, so maybe this is their way of enticing him to stay.

Like most of us, I see Selig's reign as kind of a mixed bag of hits and misses. But before slathering on the criticism of him, you have to remember that that you can't compare him to the "ideal commissioner." You have to compare him to the guys who have had the job. Guys like Ford Frick and Bowie Kuhn just <i>sucked</i>, and even Peter Ueberroth was out of his league.
Fay Vincent? I mean, you can see why the other owners feel like leaving well-enough alone.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Regardless of how you feel about Selig. Does the Baseball Commish deserve to make almost twice the salary of his contemporaries in other sports?
<!--quoteo(post=15509:date=Feb 2 2009, 03:43 PM:name=Gad)-->QUOTE (Gad @ Feb 2 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Regardless of how you feel about Selig. Does the Baseball Commish deserve to make almost twice the salary of his contemporaries in other sports?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, the only thing you can compare to MLB is the NFL. Hoop and hockey are just not even <i>close</i> in terms of visibility, size, dollars generated, etc.
(And that PGA guy is <i>vastly</i> overcompensated, IMO.)

Selig has 12-15 years tenure with the gig, doesn't he? Goodell's practically a rook.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=15501:date=Feb 2 2009, 04:20 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 2 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And exactly what value does he add to the game? That's insane.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It could be worse. Dubya turned down the gig to run for governor.
<!--quoteo(post=15642:date=Feb 2 2009, 09:43 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 2 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=15501:date=Feb 2 2009, 04:20 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 2 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And exactly what value does he add to the game? That's insane.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It could be worse. Dubya turned down the gig to run for governor.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Baseball's gain was the nation's loss.
They're all Yankees too.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
But how do you run a league when it's players make more than you? I would think he has to stay on top of that.
I guess he could so much better with all that money he's getting paid.
The Commissioners are essentially CEOs of huge, highly profitable companies - comprised of many smaller companies that they must coordinate. They deserve fairly high compensation.

That said, Selig makes WAY too much, especially compared to the others.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.