Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm not talkng about the Cubs anymore
<!--quoteo(post=46922:date=Jun 29 2009, 08:30 AM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Jun 29 2009, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So why is your summer bad other than the Cubs?

I've been wondering why we seem to be losing people because of the bitchfest this shitty season has engendered. It's not like we haven't weathered other shitty seasons. Is it the expectation level? Is it just that everyone is getting older and gets tired of hearing it?

I don't understand why people seem to be taking the negativity so personally this year. This isn't a criticism--people are going to feel how they feel--just wondering why so many have dropped out.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For me it's because we still have that wait til next year mentality. In 2007, when we had a nice turn-a-round and made it to the playoffs, we said wait 'til next year.

We made some slight improvement in 2008, but we didn't go after any true battle tested players. (I'm not saying Reggie Jackson and Derek Jeter were available, but we took some risks on guys like Harden and Kosuke). Same results in 2008 as we saw in 2007, but since we had such a great regular season, we were primed to win it all next year (2009).

We pretty much did dick this offseason and look where we're at right now? Ah but you know what, we'll retool in the off-season and wait 'til next year.

I'm sick of fuckin' waiting. I stopped rooting for the Bears long ago because of this shit (and I'm only 24). The Bears had to be kidding themselves the year they made it to the Super Bowl and didn't do dick the next offseason to improve. Wow.

The Bulls pull the same crap in hoops. They just relied on the wait til next year theory with guys like Deng, Heinrich, Gordon, Curry, Chandler, Crawford...the list is endless. Where has it gotten them? A couple of low seeds in the playoffs every now and then. They could have had Kobe fucking Bryant a few years back for Gordon and Deng--but Paxson was too much of a pussy.

So yea, that's why the Cubs piss me off that much. Meanwhile St. Louis, Boston and the ChiSox are winning World Series, and even god damned Tampa Bay and Colorado are getting invited to the party.

Enough is enough.
"Last year, I was sort of a kid and I was a little scared, I ain't scared any more."
Quote:- Hank Aaron
<!--quoteo(post=470:date=Jun 29 2009, 01:05 PM:name=BackyardLegend)-->QUOTE (BackyardLegend @ Jun 29 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm sick of fuckin' waiting. I stopped rooting for the Bears long ago because of this shit (and I'm only 24). The Bears had to be kidding themselves the year they made it to the Super Bowl and didn't do dick the next offseason to improve. Wow.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just curious, did you see what the Bears did this offseason? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img] Their fucking top priority heading into the offseason was resigning John St. Suck. Turned out a little differently, though.

Meh, I don't know why this year is so much worse than previous shitty seasons. I'm only 19 (20 in July), so maybe I'm just not used to the <i>real</i> shitty seasons all in a row. Maybe it's because we're playing mediocre ball, and they keep teasing us. It has been a draining experience. I have been waiting for them to snap out of it for a month now. I don't know if it's going to happen. Like Kabes said, though, Soriano and Bradley pretty much have to turn it around. Aramis almost <i>has</i> to give them a boost, even if he's only at 80%.

Meh, I'm just ranting now. I have no idea where I'm going with this. I guess we're cursed to always put this much devotion into a team that doesn't even know we exist, and most likely couldn't care less.

Oh, and Tommy, that sucks. I hope things turn around for you right quick.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=47038:date=Jun 29 2009, 01:55 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 29 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think the reason this year's version of the Cubs hurts more than usual is the expectation level.
Previous to this year, 2004 was about the worst season I recall enduring, and for the same reasons. Last year was so damn pleasant; we were good, and we won a lot. The playoffs were tough, but playoffs are a weird thing.

One thing about this year, though: I haven't given up hope. I'm continually astounded that we're still so close to the top of the division. I mean, practically everything has gone wrong, and we're still in the race.

As you all know, I am the<i> last</i> guy to sound like a pollyanna, but we do have some things to look forward to in the 2nd half: Aramis, our best player by far, will rejoin the team. It would be almost impossible for Soriano and Bradley, two excellent baseball players, to play as horrifically in the 2nd half as they did in the first. Lee and Fuk, two guys I had 100% written off, have played surprisingly decently, and it's possible that it will continue. The SP hasn't really clicked, but it's actually been OK; we have some very good pitchers who are kind of underperforming, and it would not shock me to see them perform better in the 2nd half.
I see us as at least being <i>in</i> the race this year. Considering all the 70-win seasons I've suffered through as a Cub fan, to me, it's not bad. Not good. But Ok.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Goddammit KB, why did you have to get my hopes up. I had written this team off and was approaching the care free zone until I read that. You deserve a stern kick to the jimmie.
<!--quoteo(post=47052:date=Jun 29 2009, 01:54 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 29 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=47038:date=Jun 29 2009, 01:55 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 29 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think the reason this year's version of the Cubs hurts more than usual is the expectation level.
Previous to this year, 2004 was about the worst season I recall enduring, and for the same reasons. Last year was so damn pleasant; we were good, and we won a lot. The playoffs were tough, but playoffs are a weird thing.

One thing about this year, though: I haven't given up hope. I'm continually astounded that we're still so close to the top of the division. I mean, practically everything has gone wrong, and we're still in the race.

As you all know, I am the<i> last</i> guy to sound like a pollyanna, but we do have some things to look forward to in the 2nd half: Aramis, our best player by far, will rejoin the team. It would be almost impossible for Soriano and Bradley, two excellent baseball players, to play as horrifically in the 2nd half as they did in the first. Lee and Fuk, two guys I had 100% written off, have played surprisingly decently, and it's possible that it will continue. The SP hasn't really clicked, but it's actually been OK; we have some very good pitchers who are kind of underperforming, and it would not shock me to see them perform better in the 2nd half.
I see us as at least being <i>in</i> the race this year. Considering all the 70-win seasons I've suffered through as a Cub fan, to me, it's not bad. Not good. But Ok.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Goddammit KB, why did you have to get my hopes up. I had written this team off and was approaching the care free zone until I read that. You deserve a stern kick to the jimmie.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The reason it's bad and not OK is that it sucks ass to watch this team. How many missed opportunities, mistakes, dumb plays, blown games, etc. can there be in half a season? If they were just getting beaten, and playing their best, so be it, but this team is full of fucktards.
You have no argument from me there. There is one place, and one place ONLY where this season hasn't been a complete debacle: the standings. For some reason, we're at least hanging around, and in the race.
Watching the Sunday Sox game was fucking excruciating. It was as if Satan drew up a game to torture Cub fans with.

Times like that, I just keep telling myself "it's only a 1/162nd piece of the puzzle."
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=47063:date=Jun 29 2009, 02:36 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 29 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You have no argument from me there. There is one place, and one place ONLY where this season hasn't been a complete debacle: the standings. For some reason, we're at least hanging around, and in the race.
Watching the Sunday Sox game was fucking excruciating. It was as if Satan drew up a game to torture Cub fans with.

Times like that, I just keep telling myself "it's only a 1/162nd piece of the puzzle."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good call.

Tom: I really hope the rest of the summer has better things in store for you