Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Padres closer Heath Bell on Cubs' radar
Heath Bell

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->INDIANAPOLIS -- The San Diego Padres are aggressively shopping right-handed closer Heath Bell, who converted 42 saves in 48 chances last season, and a source indicated the Cubs are among the teams that have expressed early interest.

To make a deal happen, the Cubs probably would have to give up shortstop Ryan Theriot or catcher Geovany Soto. San Diego is hoping to use Bell to fill at least one of three holes -- catcher, middle infield and a right-handed-hitting center fielder to platoon with Tony Gwynn Jr. -- and the Cubs can't meet the center-field need.

<i>More via link</i><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Could this mean a potential Granderson trade? But isn't Marmol still relatively cheap?
It appears that Hendry semi-shot down the rumor (at least as far as involving either Theriot or Soto is concerned) according to the Muskrat.
I wouldn't have thought they would trade Theriot considering the collective chubby the club has for him.
If the Cubs give up an impact player for Heath Bell, I'll be angry.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=70972:date=Dec 7 2009, 08:37 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 7 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the Cubs give up an impact player for Heath Bell, I'll be angry.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Me too. And Geo Soto was an impact player in '08. Last year, he stupidly played in the WBC, he smoked too much pocalolo, and he subsequently got serious munchies.

As long as Jim put a weight clause in his contract, he should rebound.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Not to mention that if we trade away a decent bat and all we replace that bat with is Mike Freaking Cameron, it would be the epitome of retarded.
I could live with moving Theriot, and going with the plus defense from Blanco, until Castro is ready to step in. I would like having a bullpen with Marmol and Bell at the back end with Grabow, Guzman and Marshall setting up.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
Soto will never be an impact player again.
<!--quoteo(post=70979:date=Dec 7 2009, 10:22 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 7 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soto will never be an impact player again.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe not, but it's much easier to find a guy like Bell than it is to find a guy like Soto.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Heath Bell = Kevin Gregg
I seem to like Heath Bell much more that the rest of you, but I still think that trading Soto for him would not be wise. Trading Theriot would not bother if we then found a valid replacement. I wouldn't mind Blanco if we made a large upgrade at 2B of CF. Otherwise, our lineup would be terrible.
I would trade Theriot, but not Soto, for Bell in a heartbeat.
<!--quoteo(post=70994:date=Dec 8 2009, 05:07 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Dec 8 2009, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would trade Theriot, but not Soto, for Bell in a heartbeat.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree
<!--quoteo(post=70990:date=Dec 8 2009, 03:29 AM:name=vitaminB)-->QUOTE (vitaminB @ Dec 8 2009, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Heath Bell = Kevin Gregg<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The guy who led the NL in saves is not the same guy who led the NL in blown saves while he was the closer. Gregg has this nasty habit of giving up the long ball which really doesn't bode well for a closer.

I don't believe that Bell will become a Cub but if we had Bell last year the Cubs would have probably limped into the playoffs as a wildcard.

Bell would be an inexpensive addition to the club but he isn't worth giving up either Theriot or Soto. Plus, I am not as worried about the bullpen as I am about starters and the Cubs ability to score.

Bell's stats
http://espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6084

Gregg's stats
http://espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5641
<!--quoteo(post=70979:date=Dec 7 2009, 10:22 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 7 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soto will never be an impact player again.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He just needs to grow up.