Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGN Schedule
It doesn't bother me the first game isn't on WGN. What bothers me is that only the people in Chicagoland can get it. Way to make a statement Ricketts family!
Fortunately Comcast Chicago is one of my regional channels on Directv down here in Indy.

When I retire to Florida or Arizona I'll buy either MLB tv or the Directv package to follow the Cubs.

Now, it stinks that some of the WGN games are not going to be shown on the regular WGN station. If they continue to pull this crap, maybe I'll get MLB tv and follow other teams I like behind the Cubs, like the Rays, Rangers, or Royals.
<!--quoteo(post=78678:date=Feb 5 2010, 06:53 AM:name=Quinn)-->QUOTE (Quinn @ Feb 5 2010, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It doesn't bother me the first game isn't on WGN. What bothers me is that only the people in Chicagoland can get it. Way to make a statement Ricketts family!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm about 99% sure that game is gonna show up on ESPN.
<!--quoteo(post=78681:date=Feb 5 2010, 07:16 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Feb 5 2010, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78678:date=Feb 5 2010, 06:53 AM:name=Quinn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quinn @ Feb 5 2010, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It doesn't bother me the first game isn't on WGN. What bothers me is that only the people in Chicagoland can get it. Way to make a statement Ricketts family!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am too.

I'm taking a personal day to stay home for the home opener.
There was a time when WGN showed all 162 games on TV...not only was it a source of pride, but (when cable TV came along) it helped make the Cubs a national team. That's when the ballpark started filling up, ticket prices skyrocketed, and the Wrigley experience really changed.

Back in the day, the White Sox (and Harry) were relegated to channel 44...which used a transmitter built from Heathkit parts.

With WGN showing both Cubs and White Sox games, it's obvious that they can't show 324 baseball games. Plus, now that teams own their own cable stations (as well as the costs of production), free TV can't compete.

Bottom line...it's still a friggin' shame. I know that we're all supposed to know that this is a business...and not just a game, but I'm a little tired of getting smacked in the face with it at every turn.

WGN should send the White Sox off to another station, and dance with the girl what made 'em rich. Add a few more Cubs games, if they're available.
<!--quoteo(post=78692:date=Feb 5 2010, 09:21 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Feb 5 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There was a time when WGN showed all 162 games on TV...not only was it a source of pride, but (when cable TV came along) it helped make the Cubs a national team. That's when the ballpark started filling up, ticket prices skyrocketed, and the Wrigley experience really changed.

Back in the day, the White Sox (and Harry) were relegated to channel 44...which used a transmitter built from Heathkit parts.

With WGN showing both Cubs and White Sox games, it's obvious that they can't show 324 baseball games. Plus, now that teams own their own cable stations (as well as the costs of production), free TV can't compete.

Bottom line...it's still a friggin' shame. I know that we're all supposed to know that this is a business...and not just a game, but I'm a little tired of getting smacked in the face with it at every turn.

WGN should send the White Sox off to another station, and dance with the girl what made 'em rich. Add a few more Cubs games, if they're available.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When I was a kid I lived about 2 blocks from channel 44. I used to hate to walk past it on the way to the Carnival Grocery for mom. All that Sox shit on the north side...blah.
<!--quoteo(post=78693:date=Feb 5 2010, 09:27 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 5 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->All that Sox shit on the north side...blah.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Slightly off topic, but that is probably my biggest pet peeve right now. I HATE seeing any Sox stuff on the North Side. These North Side Sox fans have come out of the woodwork in recent years, and I have a hard time understanding it or accepting it, and I've lived here all of my life. And these are the fans with gigantic chips on their shoulders, smugly parading around with their hats and shirts everywhere. I see the same characters all the time. It's disgusting. Sometimes it feels like WE are the 2nd class team in the area. Where does it come from? Did these people all migrate from the same South Side enclave like sheep, waiting for the day that they would rise from the shadows and stage a revolt on the North? I know it sounds petty and immature, but this has been burning me up for a long time now, and it has only gotten worse since 2005.
<!--quoteo(post=78699:date=Feb 5 2010, 09:55 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 5 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78693:date=Feb 5 2010, 09:27 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 5 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->All that Sox shit on the north side...blah.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Slightly off topic, but that is probably my biggest pet peeve right now. I HATE seeing any Sox stuff on the North Side. These North Side Sox fans have come out of the woodwork in recent years, and I have a hard time understanding it or accepting it, and I've lived here all of my life. And these are the fans with gigantic chips on their shoulders, smugly parading around with their hats and shirts everywhere. I see the same characters all the time. It's disgusting. Sometimes it feels like WE are the 2nd class team in the area. Where does it come from? Did these people all migrate from the same South Side enclave like sheep, waiting for the day that they would rise from the shadows and stage a revolt on the North? I know it sounds petty and immature, but this has been burning me up for a long time now, and it has only gotten worse since 2005.

When I was a kid, Rosenberg was the only White Sox fan on the North Shore.

A Jewish kid who roots for the White Sox is the same as one who roots for Arabs and Catholics.

Yeah...that's right...you heard me.
<!--quoteo(post=78699:date=Feb 5 2010, 09:55 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 5 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78693:date=Feb 5 2010, 09:27 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 5 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->All that Sox shit on the north side...blah.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We're on the same page, my friend. I don't see much Sox gear on the North Shore, but fuck if I don't see a shitload of Sox gear downtown in the Loop. Honestly, it feels like people wearing Sox hats/shirts/jackets/etc. outnumber people wearing Cubs gear 2:1. I don't know if this is just my own warped perception, but it sure seems that way.

My feeling is that a good portion of the Sox gear wearing douchebags are just wannabe thugs who think the Sox logo looks gangsta. But still -- pre-2005 it wasn't this way at all.

The last Bulls game I went to (I don't go to many as my interest in the Bulls, and the NBA in general, is at an all-time low) was the Bulls/Celtics playoff game. Awesome game, by the way. And you know what was weird? Even during a Bulls playoff game, I detected an anti-Cubs vibe there. During a time out, they showed a little "I love Chicago" montage on the jumbotron. A bunch of landmarks, people in the city, etc. A lot of clips of Sox games, Bears games, Bulls games, Blackhawks games. A lot of people wearing Bulls and Sox gear. And one -- ONE -- little clip of a total whitebread looking family wearing fanny packs and Cubs hats. And a pretty good chunk of the crowd <i>booed.</i> <b>They booed the Cubs fans on the jumbotron during a Bulls playoff game.</b> It felt like I was in St. Louis or something. It was unreal.

Sometimes I feel like Charlton Heston and I've just crash landed on a strange, yet familiar planet...
<!--quoteo(post=78703:date=Feb 5 2010, 10:23 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 5 2010, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78699:date=Feb 5 2010, 09:55 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 5 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78693:date=Feb 5 2010, 09:27 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 5 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->All that Sox shit on the north side...blah.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We're on the same page, my friend. I don't see much Sox gear on the North Shore, but fuck if I don't see a shitload of Sox gear downtown in the Loop. Honestly, it feels like people wearing Sox hats/shirts/jackets/etc. outnumber people wearing Cubs gear 2:1. I don't know if this is just my own warped perception, but it sure seems that way.

My feeling is that a good portion of the Sox gear wearing douchebags are just wannabe thugs who think the Sox logo looks gangsta. But still -- pre-2005 it wasn't this way at all.

The last Bulls game I went to (I don't go to many as my interest in the Bulls, and the NBA in general, is at an all-time low) was the Bulls/Celtics playoff game. Awesome game, by the way. And you know what was weird? Even during a Bulls playoff game, I detected an anti-Cubs vibe there. During a time out, they showed a little "I love Chicago" montage on the jumbotron. A bunch of landmarks, people in the city, etc. A lot of clips of Sox games, Bears games, Bulls games, Blackhawks games. A lot of people wearing Bulls and Sox gear. And one -- ONE -- little clip of a total whitebread looking family wearing fanny packs and Cubs hats. And a pretty good chunk of the crowd <i>booed.</i> <b>They booed the Cubs fans on the jumbotron during a Bulls playoff game.</b> It felt like I was in St. Louis or something. It was unreal.

Sometimes I feel like Charlton Heston and I've just crash landed on a strange, yet familiar planet...
I get the same feeling every time I go to the UC, be it for a Bulls or Hawks game. I think I mentioned it before, but at a preseason Hawks game that I attended during the 2008 playoffs, the crowd boisterously cheered a Sox victory <i>and</i> a Cubs loss when they were announced. And it wasn't my imagination either. The cheers were loud and sickening.
I know what you racists are thinking.
<!--quoteo(post=78703:date=Feb 5 2010, 10:23 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 5 2010, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78699:date=Feb 5 2010, 09:55 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 5 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78693:date=Feb 5 2010, 09:27 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 5 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->All that Sox shit on the north side...blah.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And who owns the bulls?

There's your answer
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
<!--quoteo(post=78681:date=Feb 5 2010, 06:16 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Feb 5 2010, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78678:date=Feb 5 2010, 06:53 AM:name=Quinn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quinn @ Feb 5 2010, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It doesn't bother me the first game isn't on WGN. What bothers me is that only the people in Chicagoland can get it. Way to make a statement Ricketts family!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And for once, Rubes is right...

CarrieMuskat: Note to #cubs fans unhappy about season opener broadcast on WCIU: That game will likely be on ESPN as part of Opening Day package
Personally, I think the Sox crowd has shrunk significantly since 2005, at least in my personal encounters.
<!--quoteo(post=78712:date=Feb 5 2010, 02:02 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Feb 5 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78681:date=Feb 5 2010, 06:16 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Feb 5 2010, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78678:date=Feb 5 2010, 06:53 AM:name=Quinn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quinn @ Feb 5 2010, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It doesn't bother me the first game isn't on WGN. What bothers me is that only the people in Chicagoland can get it. Way to make a statement Ricketts family!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And for once, Rubes is right...

CarrieMuskat: Note to #cubs fans unhappy about season opener broadcast on WCIU: That game will likely be on ESPN as part of Opening Day package

Very nice. Turns out I'm going to be there in Atlanta as well, as long as I can get good tickets.