Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm beginning to understand the Sux & Cards angst
<!--quoteo(post=39451:date=May 22 2009, 01:37 PM:name=hPOD)-->QUOTE (hPOD @ May 22 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=39450:date=May 22 2009, 01:30 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 22 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->While it's possible that you might be the one true and decent Sox fan on earth, hPOD, I've suffered through far too many Sox fan encounters to just let it rest.

Let me be clear about something -- I have three very close friends who are Sox fans. One of them I've known since 2nd grade. I'm still confused how they ended up Sox fans while growing up on the Northside of Chicago, but that's another issue (one of them had to do with the Cubs trading Dave Kingman and never being able to forgive the team for that sin).

Two of these guys were in my wedding. One of them came to my mother's funeral.

But I swear -- if the discussion *ever* turns to baseball, it takes all of the willpower that I possess NOT to choke every last breath out of their lungs. Again -- incredibly nice guys 99% of the time. Guys I would step in front of a punch for (I probably wouldn't take a bullet for them). But the biggest douchebags in the world the moment baseball comes up in conversation.

It's why I will never initiate a baseball discussion with a Sox fan -- not even Sox fans who happen to be friends of mine. You guys simply can't help yourselves.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can help myself just fine. Remember, though, this is very much a two way street and if the shoe was on the other foot, Sox fans would be going through something similar. <b>Of course, the day will come that they do, and many of them will deserve every second of what they get, but not all of us.</b> Sports are supposed to be entertaining, it's about being competitive but it's also about being gracious. Anytime sports interferes in your relationships with friends or family, it's gone too far, and a civilized person would recognize that.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, how I wish you were right about that. But it's never going to happen. Cubs fans are just going to take it up the ass from Sox, Cards, and maybe even Brewers fans now for the rest of our lives and there isn't anything we can do about it except try and ignore it.

Believe me -- there's nothing that would thrill me more than to be able to go to a Cubs/Sox game or a Cubs/Cards game and just be able to cheer for my team without having to hear a bunch of shit talk about 100 years, Bartman, goats, etc. There's no two way street because Cubs fans aren't on equal footing with Cards or Sox fans. You guys will always hold the trump card...and for the most part (yourself excluded, perhaps), you don't mind playing it at every single opportunity.

Messages In This Thread
I'm beginning to understand the Sux &amp; Cards angst - by Butcher - 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM