Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy Crap, ARod Tested Positive for Steroids!
<!--quoteo(post=16647:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:38 PM:name=wcplummer)-->QUOTE (wcplummer @ Feb 7 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wouldn't doubt it if back in the days of Babe & Maris if they were not poppin pills too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They were. Sport players have been looking for that "edge" since day one.
Even as a kid, I'd heard about ballplayers taking "greenie" amphetamines. I recall reading a Sports Illustrated article about Rod Carew that said he drank 32 Cokes every game. (not illegal, but so weird that you'd have to say that caffeinated stimulation was considered pretty important). Gaylord Perry and Don Sutton are in the HOF despite completely obvious cheating.

I'm not saying this to absolve the steroid cheats. I hate what they did. I just don't know where exactly to draw the line.
Almost every baseball historian who knows anything about Babe Ruth has speculated that it's about 99.9% certain that, had steroids been available in the '20's, Ruth would have done them. He poured anything and everything into his body, had zero moral guilt, and was always desperately looking for an edge.

Ty Cobb, in his autobiography, freely admitted doing every kind of small cheat he could get away with, and insinuated that you're a sucker if you don't try to glean an edge over your opponent. And, is there anyone on the planet who doesn't believe that Pete Rose wouldn't have embraced <i>anything</i> that could have delayed his retirement for a few years?

Still, it's a tough situation for a fan. Sosa and A-Rod were 2 of my very favorite players, but honestly, they're not anymore.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance

Messages In This Thread
Holy Crap, ARod Tested Positive for Steroids! - by kbwsb - 02-07-2009, 05:51 PM