Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Lineup vs. Lefties
Posted this on the Friendly Blogfines Facebook page:

Word on the Byrd: New leadoff hitter against lefties. Theriot moves from leadoff to the 8th hole in the lineup, while Baker moves up from 7th to 2nd against lefties(where he should be as he mashes them). So against right-handers Theriot bats 1st, but 8th against lefties. Byrd bats 1st against lefties, and 5th against righties. Baker bats 2nd against lefties, but won't start too much against righties. Got all that?
@TheBlogfines
So, this is what we're likely going to be seeing a lot of...

Vs. lefties:

1. Byrd
2. Baker
3. Lee
4. Ramirez
5. Nady
6. Soriano
7. Soto
8. Theriot

Vs. righties:

1. Theriot
2. Fukudome
3. Lee
4. Ramirez
5. Byrd
6. Soriano
7. Fontenot
8. Soto

I could see Soto and Fontenot changing in the 7-8 spots too.
@TheBlogfines
Why would Byrd ever hit leadoff?
Good thing we got the new hitting coach
That's dumb as shit. Theriot hits lefties much better than righties.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=90752:date=Apr 18 2010, 04:25 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 18 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Why would Byrd ever hit leadoff?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Because crappy results to start the season lead to knee-jerk reactions like this. I'm indifferent on it, but it's way too early to be freaking. Theriot's gonna be fine.

I do like Baker batting 2nd though against lefties. That's what I wanted coming into the season.

But if you're set on moving Theriot down to 8th, I like this more: Put Baker at leadoff and Nady 2nd, or vice versa. Leave Byrd 5th.

Coming into today...

Baker's a career .290/.349/.565 guy against lefties.
Nady's a career .381 obp guy against lefties.
Byrd's career .276/.338/.439 against lefties.

So your lineup would look like this(again, could swap Baker and Nady):

1. Baker- .914 career OPS vs. lefties
2. Nady- .854
3. Lee- .922
4. Ramirez- .895
5. Byrd- .777 (keep in mind he's a better power hitter than he used to be)
6. Soriano- .862
7. Soto- .847
8. Theriot- .806 (career .384 OBP)

Also, this helps for later in the game, as Fukudome replaces Nady at #1 or #2 in the lineup ahead of the middle of our order, rather than 5th when he comes in as a defensive replacement.
@TheBlogfines
And one more thing... Theriot's annoying as hell on the bases, but he's 4-4 on steals so far this year and looked good in the spring. If you want him being your primary base stealer, moving him to 8th isn't the solution with the pitcher batting behind him, as there's no reason to try to steal with a sac bunt coming.
@TheBlogfines
Byrd leadoff? Really?

Like you, Clapp, I like Baker hitting in the top of the lineup against lefties.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

Let's put Soriano in lead off and see how that works.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Jesus Christ. Now I see on Twitter that Lou also mentioned putting Nady at #4 against lefties. I know Aramis has been crap, but come on, relax. This is the one thing that's always bugged me about Lou. A few games go wrong and he tries to make all these changes. Aramis Ramirez needs to be one of our first four hitters.
@TheBlogfines
Yep, Nady batting 4th, Ramirez 5th.
@TheBlogfines
If it was May and we were still sucking balls, then I could see shaking it up a bit....but 2 weeks in?
<!--quoteo(post=90764:date=Apr 18 2010, 06:34 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 18 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yep, Nady batting 4th, Ramirez 5th.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's retarded. I'm also totally shocked that the problem wasn't the hitting coach.
<!--quoteo(post=90766:date=Apr 18 2010, 04:43 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Apr 18 2010, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If it was May and we were still sucking balls, then I could see shaking it up a bit....but 2 weeks in?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Titles are won in April, didn't you get the memo?
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--QuoteBegin-Clapp+-->QUOTE (Clapp)<!--QuoteEBegin-->Yep, Nady batting 4th, Ramirez batting 5th.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, Lou. Way to show confidence.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v