Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Training 2010
<!--quoteo(post=82019:date=Mar 8 2010, 06:14 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 8 2010, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Our pen is pretty much shambles right now. Obviously I wouldn't want to give up the farm for a reliever, but I think we need someone who can be consistent and has experience. Right now from the right side, its pretty much Marmol and a bunch of young guys with little to no experience. I don't have a problem with giving a couple spots to our young guys, but right now it would be like 4 spots.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't disagree - I'm just not convinced Frasor is the best guy.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
We aren't going to win this year anyway. We may as well see what we have and complain it about it all year long. I'd rather not trade anything of value for a relief pitcher.
<!--quoteo(post=82020:date=Mar 8 2010, 05:17 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 8 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82019:date=Mar 8 2010, 06:14 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 8 2010, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Our pen is pretty much shambles right now. Obviously I wouldn't want to give up the farm for a reliever, but I think we need someone who can be consistent and has experience. Right now from the right side, its pretty much Marmol and a bunch of young guys with little to no experience. I don't have a problem with giving a couple spots to our young guys, but right now it would be like 4 spots.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't disagree - I'm just not convinced Frasor is the best guy.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I can agree with that, I'm not sure who else better is available though.
<!--quoteo(post=82021:date=Mar 8 2010, 05:30 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Mar 8 2010, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We aren't going to win this year anyway. We may as well see what we have and complain it about it all year long. I'd rather not trade anything of value for a relief pitcher.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You absolutely cannot go in with that attitude as an organization when you're very likely to have a winning record and haven't won a World Series in over 100 years. Teams with much less talent have won championships. We have some huge concerns, but so do most teams out there. And what if Pujols, Carpenter, or Wainwright got hurt? We'd have an excellent shot at winning the division, and once you get in, anything can happen.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=82025:date=Mar 8 2010, 06:49 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 8 2010, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82021:date=Mar 8 2010, 05:30 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Mar 8 2010, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We aren't going to win this year anyway. We may as well see what we have and complain it about it all year long. I'd rather not trade anything of value for a relief pitcher.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You absolutely cannot go in with that attitude as an organization when you're very likely to have a winning record and haven't won a World Series in over 100 years. Teams with much less talent have won championships. We have some huge concerns, but so do most teams out there. And what if Pujols, Carpenter, or Wainwright got hurt? We'd have an excellent shot at winning the division, and once you get in, anything can happen.
I totally agree. It's just that Hendry loves to go after players coming off career years, so this Frasor character scares me. I'm all for adding veteran arms provided that we don't mortgage the future in doing so.
I haven't been this indifferent about a baseball season in a long time. I'm ready to see some baseball, but I have no expectations and I'm not nervous/worried about anything. Whatever happens, happens, and I don't really feel emotionally invested in this team.
<!--quoteo(post=81969:date=Mar 9 2010, 04:28 AM:name=AnnoCatuli)-->QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 9 2010, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->No to Cashner.

I dont think the best thing for hsi career is to rush him to the majors. He still needs a little development.

Caridad will now, effectively, slide into the right handed setup slot to compliment Grabow who is on the leftside.

That is three of the seven slots in Piniella's overloaded bullpen (I for one like the extra bat on the bench over the extra arm in the pen). We have four spots.

Marshall will likely lose out to Gorz. for the lefty in the rotation and be in the Pen.

That brings us to three spots.

Count Samardzija out (at least I hope to God we can), because he should beat out Fatass Silva for the 5th starter. Silva can go away.

Still at three spots.

Gray has an ouchy groin, so he is likely being slowed and may not be ready for opening day. If he is, down to two. If not, our bullpen sits at three open.

Berg, Stevens, Gaub are the three top names I would look at.

But Blake Parker is another interesting name to watch as he looked good last year in Triple A. he had a 3.00 ERA in 45 games and 51 innings while posting a 1.2 WHIP and a 58-27 K-BB average with 3 hit batters. He also only allowed three HR. He also pitched well in Double A.

The more I look at his stats, I like this Parker kid.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=parker003ric<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You didn't mention Jeff Russell who is a darkhorse to make the pen. From reports, he has been the most impressive out of everyone.
<!--quoteo(post=82040:date=Mar 9 2010, 06:28 AM:name=Dingo)-->QUOTE (Dingo @ Mar 9 2010, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You didn't mention Jeff Russell who is a darkhorse to make the pen. From reports, he has been the most impressive out of everyone.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are a lot of young arms that will be competing for spots in the pen. They will likely have 3-4 rookies in the pen. I know I missed a lot of young arms, and he has just as much of a shot as anyone to make the club. If he has a good spring, why not take a chance. Just as long as he doesnt pitch well in Spring and bomb in the majors (much like Patton did last year)
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->JimBowdenXMFOX

Cubs still talking to Blue Jays about Frasor and Downs...Hendry and Piniella also impressed with Samardzija development this spring<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Cubs are looking at Smoltz for bullpen help.

They have been in contact with his agent, but not "recently."
<!--quoteo(post=82338:date=Mar 11 2010, 10:28 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Mar 11 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cubs are looking at Smoltz for bullpen help. (possibly)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I could get on board with that. I'd also be interested in Pedro if he'd accept a bullpen role.
<!--quoteo(post=82339:date=Mar 11 2010, 11:31 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 11 2010, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82338:date=Mar 11 2010, 10:28 AM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Mar 11 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cubs are looking at Smoltz for bullpen help. (possibly)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I could get on board with that. I'd also be interested in Pedro if he'd accept a bullpen role.
I think Pedro could have a nice encore and add a couple more years to his career if he were wiling to pitch out of the pen.
<!--quoteo(post=82342:date=Mar 11 2010, 10:54 AM:name=Dirk)-->QUOTE (Dirk @ Mar 11 2010, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82339:date=Mar 11 2010, 11:31 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 11 2010, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82338:date=Mar 11 2010, 10:28 AM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Mar 11 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cubs are looking at Smoltz for bullpen help. (possibly)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think Pedro could have a nice encore and add a couple more years to his career if he were wiling to pitch out of the pen.
I agree 100%. His ego might not allow that, though.
At the right price and 1 year contracts, I'd welcome them both, especially since they could spot start as well.
I'd take Pedro to be the #5.