Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Training 2010
<!--quoteo(post=80601:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80537:date=Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What about the past 2 seasons?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're right. Soriano's contract prevented us from signing...oh wait...it didn't prevent us from doing shit. We still signed the Milton Bradley's...we even signed the Aaron Miles's's. We get it. You don't like Soriano or his contract. Don't force squares into round holes to try and prove some point that doesn't exist.

The mere fact that Soriano is on our roster prevented us from making a go at any top notch free agent signed in the last 3 years. It also prevented us from trading for high salaried players like Halladay. You sir, are a fucking retard if you cannot see that. How can you be so obtuse?
<!--quoteo(post=80611:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:25 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 25 2010, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80601:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80537:date=Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're right. Soriano's contract prevented us from signing...oh wait...it didn't prevent us from doing shit. We still signed the Milton Bradley's...we even signed the Aaron Miles's's. We get it. You don't like Soriano or his contract. Don't force squares into round holes to try and prove some point that doesn't exist.

The mere fact that Soriano is on our roster prevented us from making a go at any top notch free agent signed in the last 3 years. It also prevented us from trading for high salaried players like Halladay. You sir, are a fucking retard if you cannot see that. How can you be so obtuse?

No shit. We were fucking BROKE this off season. It even made dealing Bradley a tougher situation. And it contributed to his bad contact being a crisis.

And when Rappster went off about not caring how much a player makes...it's just a roster spot...on B&IR Tuesday, I was flipping my Internet radio the bird. The money fucking matters.
<!--quoteo(post=80611:date=Feb 25 2010, 09:25 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 25 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80601:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80537:date=Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The mere fact that Soriano is on our roster prevented us from making a go at any top notch free agent signed in the last 3 years. <b>It also prevented us from trading for high salaried players like Halladay. </b> You sir, are a fucking retard if you cannot see that. How can you be so obtuse?
We weren't willing to give the prospects for him, if we even had enough.
<!--quoteo(post=80615:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:44 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 25 2010, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80611:date=Feb 25 2010, 09:25 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 25 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80601:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80537:date=Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The mere fact that Soriano is on our roster prevented us from making a go at any top notch free agent signed in the last 3 years. <b>It also prevented us from trading for high salaried players like Halladay. </b> You sir, are a fucking retard if you cannot see that. How can you be so obtuse?
And it also is a leap to blame one big contact (it is a series of large contracts) on this roster for being handcuffed in other areas. If we didn't have Alf out in LF, does anyone truly believe that we wouldn't need to replace him with someone else making $10-15 mil per to fill that spot in the lineup? The extra $3-5 mil saved wouldn't have allowed us to trade for Halladay.
Some ST video.

Castro taking infield at the 5 minute mark. Looked rough. Nothing too exciting. Warm ups, pitcher's fielding, SS fielding, 3B fielding, pitcher's pick off moves.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bwWArHPyZyY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bwWArHPyZyY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I got nothin'.

Andy
I liked that he positions himself square to where the ball will be and sets his feet well before picking the ball. You can see the difference between he and Theriot there. Watch when Theriot gets into position to field the ball, he has to shift his body to recieve the ball because he doesn't position himself well. Also, Castro transitions the ball to his throwing hand very fluidly.

Yes, he did bobble a few and missed one, but it looks like he has good fundamentals. I wish they would have tested his range a little bit.
<!--quoteo(post=80614:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:38 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 25 2010, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80611:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:25 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 25 2010, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80601:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80537:date=Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No shit. We were fucking BROKE this off season. It even made dealing Bradley a tougher situation. And it contributed to his bad contact being a crisis.

And when Rappster went off about not caring how much a player makes...it's just a roster spot...on B&IR Tuesday, I was flipping my Internet radio the bird. The money fucking matters.
I think Rapp's point (and I hate defending Rapp, by the way) is that you can't be extra critical of Soriano because of how much money he makes. He's already made his money -- just judge him on his performance -- not against what his salary is.

Now -- if you want to judge HENDRY based on how much money Soriano makes that's a different story...

If Rapp wants to chime in and say otherwise, that's fine -- but I think that's what he was trying to get at.
<!--quoteo(post=80625:date=Feb 25 2010, 11:34 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 25 2010, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80614:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:38 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 25 2010, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80611:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:25 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 25 2010, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80601:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80537:date=Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think Rapp's point (and I hate defending Rapp, by the way) is that you can't be extra critical of Soriano because of how much money he makes. He's already made his money -- just judge him on his performance -- not against what his salary is.

Now -- if you want to judge HENDRY based on how much money Soriano makes that's a different story...

If Rapp wants to chime in and say otherwise, that's fine -- but I think that's what he was trying to get at.

My only problem with that argument is that it makes no sense. If I pull stats off baseball reference, and I say “Player A is a left fielder. Here are his stats from last year. Are you pleased with the results or not?”

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
109 503 453 76 127 27 0 29 75 19 3 43 103 .280 .344 .532 .876 119

You can’t possibly answer the question, without some reference to his salary and expectations (which is what salary is basically measuring. Higher expectations, higher salary) If Player A was expected to be a scrub off the bench making the league minimum, you are over-the-moon ecstatic with those numbers. If Player A turns out to be Alfonso Soriano in 2009, taking up a percentage of the payroll, you’re not so happy. Players are always judged relative to their expectations (and therefore salaries).

Of course, that doesn’t mean there’s not room to criticize Jim Hendry for the monolithic contract.
Pretty much everyone knew going into the Soriano signing that he wasn't going to "earn" his salary -- not even on the front end.

Part of the signing was to make a splash in the free agent market and to generate some buzz -- and both of those things were done to make the team more attractive to potential buyers.

And...I'm not saying I necessarily agree with Rapp, but I think jstraw may have misinterpreted his stance a little.
<!--quoteo(post=80619:date=Feb 25 2010, 10:05 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 25 2010, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80615:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:44 AM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 25 2010, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80611:date=Feb 25 2010, 09:25 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 25 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80601:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80537:date=Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And it also is a leap to blame one big contact (it is a series of large contracts) on this roster for being handcuffed in other areas. If we didn't have Alf out in LF, does anyone truly believe that we wouldn't need to replace him with someone else making $10-15 mil per to fill that spot in the lineup? The extra $3-5 mil saved wouldn't have allowed us to trade for Halladay.

I'm not blaming just this one big contract. I've been fairly critical of all the shitty contracts Hendry has signed. Soriano's, however, is the worst of them and was the topic of this discussion. I don't personally blame Alf for making a shit-ton of money. I blame Hendry. He should have known better. I blame Soriano for his lack of focus in the OF. His stupid hop before every catch that caused him to miss 3 weeks from injury. His inability to adjust to or lay off a breaking ball. His loopty loop routes in LF and his general appearance of lack of effort and care. His admiring of flyballs to the wall like they are automatic homeruns.

It's no secret I don't like Soriano. He can eat a dick. I don't blame him for his contract, however, that's on Hungry Hendry.
<!--quoteo(post=80615:date=Feb 25 2010, 09:44 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 25 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80611:date=Feb 25 2010, 09:25 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 25 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80601:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80537:date=Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How do you know this? I don't pretend to know either way. It really doesn't matter because the thought process never got to that point since we couldn't afford to pay him even if we got him.
Either way, had we had another big contract out in LF, we'd be in a fairly similar payroll situation overall since Hendry has overpaid for several other players as well. I know you don't like Alf, Cold, but constantly bringing his name up as if he is the main reason why we can't expand payroll gets a little old too. Again, he isn't my favorite player, but I can think of 3 or more other contracts when taken into account that we could do without as well. But still, if you replace these players with others, we'd probably still be complaining that they are overpaid and are preventing us from signing or trading for better talent.
<!--quoteo(post=80626:date=Feb 25 2010, 10:55 AM:name=Qalex1)-->QUOTE (Qalex1 @ Feb 25 2010, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My only problem with that argument is that it makes no sense. If I pull stats off baseball reference, and I say “Player A is a left fielder. Here are his stats from last year. Are you pleased with the results or not?”

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
109 503 453 76 127 27 0 29 75 19 3 43 103 .280 .344 .532 .876 119

You can’t possibly answer the question, without some reference to his salary and expectations (which is what salary is basically measuring. Higher expectations, higher salary) If Player A was expected to be a scrub off the bench making the league minimum, you are over-the-moon ecstatic with those numbers. If Player A turns out to be Alfonso Soriano in 2009, taking up a percentage of the payroll, you’re not so happy. Players are always judged relative to their expectations (and therefore salaries).

Of course, that doesn’t mean there’s not room to criticize Jim Hendry for the monolithic contract.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So the NY Yankees won the World Series last year but did so with players with bloated contracts. 6 of the highest paid players in baseball played for the Yankees in 2009. Does that mean that they didn't win the Series?

Rating a team or player has nothing to do with salaries. Baseball does not discount a team or players accomplishments if they are overpaid.

Do you recall what Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Stan Musical, Willie Mays, Nolan Ryan or any other baseball greats made in relation to other players on their teams or other players in the league at the time they played?

Probably not. That probably has something to do with the opinion that a player's salary has nothing to do with his accomplishments.
<!--quoteo(post=80627:date=Feb 25 2010, 11:04 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 25 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Part of the signing was to make a splash in the free agent market and to generate some buzz -- and both of those things were done to make the team more attractive to potential buyers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"So Tom, gonna buy the Cubs eh? Well...<i>I wasn't</i> but now that the GM under contract has saddled the team with a bunch of bloated, back-loaded contacts the franchise is looking a LOT better to me. LOVE the Sorano deal, for example."
<!--quoteo(post=80637:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:14 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 25 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80627:date=Feb 25 2010, 11:04 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 25 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Part of the signing was to make a splash in the free agent market and to generate some buzz -- and both of those things were done to make the team more attractive to potential buyers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"So Tom, gonna buy the Cubs eh? Well...<i>I wasn't</i> but now that the GM under contract has saddled the team with a bunch of bloated, back-loaded contacts the franchise is looking a LOT better to me. LOVE the Sorano deal, for example."
Maybe not now, but when Soriano signed, he absolutely made the Cubs more marketable.