Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs Beat Theriot
"Slightly above average" speaks for itself. You don't make the post-season on slightly above average. Slightly above average is a C+. I agree, Theriot is slightly above average.
<!--quoteo(post=80286:date=Feb 22 2010, 07:07 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 22 2010, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->"Slightly above average" speaks for itself. You don't make the post-season on slightly above average. Slightly above average is a C+. I agree, Theriot is slightly above average.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
As a 2B, he sure would be.
stephen drew
<!--quoteo(post=80286:date=Feb 22 2010, 08:07 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 22 2010, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->"Slightly above average" speaks for itself. You don't make the post-season on slightly above average. Slightly above average is a C+. I agree, Theriot is slightly above average.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So we have to have an A+ at every position? I would be thrilled if we did, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that.
<!--quoteo(post=80298:date=Feb 22 2010, 09:35 AM:name=mesacubsjay)-->QUOTE (mesacubsjay @ Feb 22 2010, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->stephen drew<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Career .326 OBP and may be the worst fielding shortstop in the league. He does bring some power to the table though so I wouldn't argue with anyone wanting him over Theriot.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Alexei Ramirez<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While he may trump Theriot's range, his inconsistency puts him on par with Theriot defensively if not worse. He also has a career OBP of .326 although his slugging again is up there so I guess I wouldn't argue with this one either.

That still puts Theriot in the top 15 shortstops in the league.
<!--quoteo(post=80299:date=Feb 22 2010, 08:40 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Feb 22 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80286:date=Feb 22 2010, 08:07 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 22 2010, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->"Slightly above average" speaks for itself. You don't make the post-season on slightly above average. Slightly above average is a C+. I agree, Theriot is slightly above average.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So we have to have an A+ at every position? I would be thrilled if we did, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't say, nor meant to imply that. I think you could win the WS with all B- to A level players if they were peaking at the right time and getting some breaks. Maybe even a couple of C+ players...but not middle infielders.
<!--quoteo(post=80311:date=Feb 22 2010, 10:18 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 22 2010, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80299:date=Feb 22 2010, 08:40 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Feb 22 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80286:date=Feb 22 2010, 08:07 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 22 2010, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->"Slightly above average" speaks for itself. You don't make the post-season on slightly above average. Slightly above average is a C+. I agree, Theriot is slightly above average.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't say, nor meant to imply that. I think you could win the WS with all B- to A level players if they were peaking at the right time and getting some breaks. Maybe even a couple of C+ players...but not middle infielders.

In 1995 the Braves had Jeff Blauser, Mark Lemke, and Marquis Grissom forming the middle of their team. Blauser had a .319 OBP that year, Lemke had a .325 OBP, and Grissom had a .317 OBP. I would hardly think that you classified any of them over a C+ player. You can get away with have average players at some positions if you have a great team around them.
Theriot is pretty much David Eckstein. He's average at best, but there's no reason he can't be the shortstop on a contending team.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
From my estimation, we have potentially 4 C to C+ level players in our everyday lineup, so another B+ to A level position player couldn't hurt.
<!--quoteo(post=80321:date=Feb 22 2010, 10:50 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 22 2010, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From my estimation, we have potentially 4 C to C+ level players in our everyday lineup, so another B+ to A level position player couldn't hurt.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And that's the thing. Four is too many for the rest of the team to have to keep picking up and expect to contend. So yeah, even if you can work around a C middle infielder, you better not have too many more guys to worry about or else you need an unhittable rotation like the Braves had.
<!--quoteo(post=80321:date=Feb 22 2010, 12:50 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 22 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From my estimation, we have potentially 4 C to C+ level players in our everyday lineup, so another B+ to A level position player couldn't hurt.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm guessing Baker is another? Who else? And are you drawing these grades from your expectations, last years performances, or the total bodies of work?
<!--quoteo(post=80341:date=Feb 22 2010, 12:54 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Feb 22 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80321:date=Feb 22 2010, 12:50 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 22 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From my estimation, we have potentially 4 C to C+ level players in our everyday lineup, so another B+ to A level position player couldn't hurt.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm guessing Baker is another? Who else? And are you drawing these grades from your expectations, last years performances, or the total bodies of work?
I'm guessing Byrd is one and Fukudome is another, but I can't speak for rok. Soto could be a 5th if he doesn't have a rebound season.
<!--quoteo(post=80343:date=Feb 22 2010, 03:02 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 22 2010, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80341:date=Feb 22 2010, 12:54 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Feb 22 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80321:date=Feb 22 2010, 12:50 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 22 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From my estimation, we have potentially 4 C to C+ level players in our everyday lineup, so another B+ to A level position player couldn't hurt.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm guessing Byrd is one and Fukudome is another, but I can't speak for rok. Soto could be a 5th if he doesn't have a rebound season.

Fukudome I can understand, although his defense should make up for some of his offensive shortfall. Byrd should actually be a solid B if he produces like he has in Texas. Soto we all know is a big x-factor. To me he shouldn't be specified as a C because he could be anywhere from an A to an F.
<!--quoteo(post=80343:date=Feb 22 2010, 01:02 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 22 2010, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80341:date=Feb 22 2010, 12:54 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Feb 22 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80321:date=Feb 22 2010, 12:50 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 22 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From my estimation, we have potentially 4 C to C+ level players in our everyday lineup, so another B+ to A level position player couldn't hurt.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bingo, and Fontenot as well. I'm not saying they don't have the potential to be good players, just that there's as much as a 50/50 chance that Byrd/Fuk/Theriot/Baker/Fontenot/Soto may just be average or worse than that. And I'm not basing this on stats, just my own worst case scenario expectations.
Hi, tommy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v