Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs Beat Theriot
http://www.bleachernation.com/2010/02/20/b...ot-arbitration/
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
The question is, how aggressive did they have to be to do it, and will Theriot be bitter?
The system is the system...if you win; you win...and, if you lose; you lose.

If he's bitter...then he needs to grow up.
Poor guy, how is he supposed to survive on only $2,600,000?
I think this actually makes it more likely that Theriot stays a Cub in 2011, and actually could end up securing him more money in the long-run - though unlikely. Imagine he has another average year, and the Cubs keep him. He'll get something like $3 mill in arbitration next year.

Had he won, there is a very real chance that the Cubs would non-tender him next year after an average season, and then he might get only $1 mill or so on the free agent market.

Lots of ifs, but it's just sort of an ironic thing to think about.
<!--quoteo(post=80143:date=Feb 20 2010, 08:46 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Feb 20 2010, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The system is the system...if you win; you win...and, if you lose; you lose.

If he's bitter...then he needs to grow up.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep

I also don't really care if he is bitter. If its enough that it affects his play, he is just going to cost himself even more money in the future and it could cost him his job.
<!--quoteo(post=80146:date=Feb 20 2010, 10:00 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 20 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think this actually makes it more likely that Theriot stays a Cub in 2011, and actually could end up securing him more money in the long-run - though unlikely. Imagine he has another average year, and the Cubs keep him. He'll get something like $3 mill in arbitration next year.

Had he won, there is a very real chance that the Cubs would non-tender him next year after an average season, and then he might get only $1 mill or so on the free agent market.

Lots of ifs, but it's just sort of an ironic thing to think about.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Theriot is not a one million dollar free agent...he's worth more in the open market.

However, he's not a free agent...so, his value must be judged as such.

Free agent rates are reserved for those who have achieved free agency. He can't expect to receive them, just because he's gone to arbitration.
<!--quoteo(post=80148:date=Feb 20 2010, 11:15 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Feb 20 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80146:date=Feb 20 2010, 10:00 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 20 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think this actually makes it more likely that Theriot stays a Cub in 2011, and actually could end up securing him more money in the long-run - though unlikely. Imagine he has another average year, and the Cubs keep him. He'll get something like $3 mill in arbitration next year.

Lots of ifs, but it's just sort of an ironic thing to think about.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Theriot is not a one million dollar free agent...he's worth more in the open market.

Free agent rates are reserved for those who have achieved free agency. He can't expect to receive them, just because he's gone to arbitration.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Um... what?
<!--quoteo(post=80149:date=Feb 20 2010, 10:38 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 20 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80148:date=Feb 20 2010, 11:15 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Feb 20 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80146:date=Feb 20 2010, 10:00 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 20 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think this actually makes it more likely that Theriot stays a Cub in 2011, and actually could end up securing him more money in the long-run - though unlikely. Imagine he has another average year, and the Cubs keep him. He'll get something like $3 mill in arbitration next year.

Um... what?

I know how badly you want this, Drudge...but, the sarcasm blew up on re-entry.

If Theriot were a free agent, I think he'd have gotten paid more than 2.6M.

He's not...he doesn't have the benefit of leveraging one offer against another, and an arbitrator isn't going to treat him as though he can pick through offers.

He got paid according to his native value to his current team.

But...you already knew that.
They should have lowballed him something like 1.8 and gotten him to ask for 2.6.
[Image: theriothurt.jpg] [Image: simpsonsnelsonhaha2.jpg]
Musk Rat: Ryan Theriot arrived in #cubs camp and says no hard feelings after losing arb case.
@TheBlogfines
We've all given Theriot plenty of guff over the years, but he's proven to be a lot better than I thought he'd be. And 2.6 M is more cash than many of us will accrue in our lifetimes.

Play ball.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
This picture alone tells me Theriot's not going to change his plate approach:

[Image: ryantheriot-sully.jpg]
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=80170:date=Feb 20 2010, 05:01 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 20 2010, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This picture alone tells me Theriot's not going to change his plate approach:

[Image: ryantheriot-sully.jpg]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

?