Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheets
What does all of this have to do with Sheets?
It needs it's own thread: "do winning teams rely on rookies"
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
BT, I'm not saying it's a formula for success. I'm saying that teams with high expectations do it all the time. They don't do it for success, they do it because that's the nature of baseball. If the Cubs had an unlimited payroll, I would be all for signing every single free agent out there to fill out the 25 man roster. As it is, they have limitations. I would rather they spend the money on more important spots (I would argue any starter, no matter if they are the "5th" starter or not) is more important than a bench player and two relief pitchers.

Also the Tavares thing... the way you worded it made it seem like Tavares was god awful and forced the Rockies into a situation where they had to rely on Spilborghs. I disagree. I don't know exactly how their 2007 season went, but I thought Spilborghs was used as a pinch hitter and fill in starter. Same as our free agent bench player will be used as.
<!--quoteo(post=77008:date=Jan 22 2010, 12:03 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Jan 22 2010, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What does all of this have to do with Sheets?
It needs it's own thread: "do winning teams rely on rookies"<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because if we relied on unproven players for our bullpen and one bench spot, we would have more freed up money to offer to Sheets. That's how this all started.
<!--quoteo(post=77008:date=Jan 22 2010, 11:03 AM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Jan 22 2010, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What does all of this have to do with Sheets?
It needs it's own thread: "do winning teams rely on rookies"<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh man, you're right. This has to be the first time a 121 reply thread on a fan message board went off topic. Thanks for setting us straight.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Don't worry MW4, BT didn't mean it. He still loves you.
This movie quote from Stripes popped into my mind...

"The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho.
Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.
<b>You just made the list, buddy.</b>
And I don't like nobody touching my stuff.
So just keep your meat-hooks off.
If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you.
Also, I don't like nobody touching me.
Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you."
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
Stark Article

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Beneath the Sheets: We've heard the Cubs described elsewhere as the leading contender for Ben Sheets. But we've gotten the impression that they've actually back-burnered Sheets for now.

Agents for other players they've talked to consistently report the Cubs want to address two other priorities first: a set-up arm (Kiko Calero? Chan Ho Park?) and a fourth-outfielder type (Jermaine Dye? Reed Johnson? Jonny Gomes? Xavier Nady? Fernando Tatis?). They would only turn back to other needs after those two areas are taken care of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just a regurgitation of things we've already heard.

"Last year, I was sort of a kid and I was a little scared, I ain't scared any more."
Quote:- Hank Aaron
Sheets to the A's
Well, this sucks, but then again I don't think we were ever that serious to begin with. As long as he doesn't end up in the Central, this is ok. And hey, if he's pitching well by July and the A's are out of it, you never know. We might be interested in him at the deadline, if of course we're still in contention.
<!--quoteo(post=77356:date=Jan 26 2010, 11:54 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 26 2010, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sheets to the A's<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Fucking douchefuck.
It's a one year deal for at least $8m, there's no way we were in on him.
<!--quoteo(post=77364:date=Jan 26 2010, 12:03 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 26 2010, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's a one year deal for at least $8m, there's no way we were in on him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Whoa, that is just a dumb deal if true.
Our starting rotation concerns me.

Z
Dempster
Lilly
Wells
Gorz/Marshall/?

Lilly is hurt. I don't know when he'll be starting. May? June? Wells may have had a career year as a rookie. Z and Dempster -- you pretty much know what you're gonna get from those two. Both good #2 pitchers, with flashes of brilliance. And the #5 slot is a big unknown.

Not the rotation of a pennant winning ballclub.
<!--quoteo(post=77366:date=Jan 26 2010, 12:05 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 26 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Our starting rotation concerns me.

Z
Dempster
Lilly
Wells
Gorz/Marshall/?

Lilly is hurt. I don't know when he'll be starting. May? June? Wells may have had a career year as a rookie. Z and Dempster -- you pretty much know what you're gonna get from those two. Both good #2 pitchers, with flashes of brilliance. And the #5 slot is a big unknown.

Not the rotation of a pennant winning ballclub.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blanton
Hamels
Moyer
Myers
Park

Hamels
Moyer
Kendrick
Eaton
Blanton

those are the starting rotations from the beginning of the year, for the last 2 pennant winners. Are those the rotations of a pennant winning ballclub? Do they contain fewer questions than the Cubs proposed 2010 rotation? Their 2009 rotation had 2 good players and 3 ???s. their 2008 rotation had 1 good player and 4 ???s.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Whoa... $10m plus incentives