Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Training 2010
It's close enough, I figured we might as well start a Spring Training thread. Non-roster invites have been announced...

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec--><b>Cubs non-roster invitees
</b>
The Cubs have invited 19 non-roster players to Spring Training camp, including 12 homegrown players who were either drafted or originally signed by the team. The last four No. 1 Draft picks also will be in camp in Mesa: Tyler Colvin, Josh Vitters, Andrew Cashner and Brett Jackson. Colvin is currently on the 40-man roster.

Pitchers: Cashner, J.R. Mathes, James Russell, Casey Coleman, Thomas Diamond, Jeff Kennard, and Vince Perkins.

Catchers: Robinson Chirinos, Steve Clevenger, Blake Lalli, and Chris Robinson

Infielders: Vitters, Darwin Barney, Matt Camp, Starlin Castro, Bryan LaHair, and Bobby Scales.

Outfielders: Jackson and Brad Snyder.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=75828:date=Jan 13 2010, 02:10 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 13 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's close enough, I figured we might as well start a Spring Training thread. Non-roster invites have been announced...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec--><b>Cubs non-roster invitees
</b>
The Cubs have invited 19 non-roster players to Spring Training camp, including 12 homegrown players who were either drafted or originally signed by the team. The last four No. 1 Draft picks also will be in camp in Mesa: Tyler Colvin, Josh Vitters, Andrew Cashner and Brett Jackson. Colvin is currently on the 40-man roster.

Pitchers: Cashner, J.R. Mathes, James Russell, Casey Coleman, Thomas Diamond, Jeff Kennard, and Vince Perkins.

Infielders: Vitters, Darwin Barney, Matt Camp, Starlin Castro, Bryan LaHair, and Bobby Scales.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Matt <b>Kemp</b>? Dude, the Cubs are so gonna rake.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=75828:date=Jan 13 2010, 02:10 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 13 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's close enough, I figured we might as well start a Spring Training thread. Non-roster invites have been announced...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec--><b>Cubs non-roster invitees
</b>

I don't know who Vince Perkins is. Scarey, you know anything about this guy?
<!--quoteo(post=75832:date=Jan 13 2010, 02:28 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jan 13 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=75828:date=Jan 13 2010, 02:10 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 13 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's close enough, I figured we might as well start a Spring Training thread. Non-roster invites have been announced...

</b>

I don't know who Vince Perkins is. Scarey, you know anything about this guy?

He's an older reliever I believe the Cubs signed as a minor league free agent last year. He was mostly in AAA last year. I took notice of him last year when he started out dominating in AA cause I didn't know him by name either, figured he was a standout teen that was off my radar. Imagine my disapointment when I found out he was 27 years old.

Still, I've heard he has a 90-92 mph fastball and a very good slider. I wouldn't expect much from him though. He'll be 28 all year and has put up very pedestrian numbers. I guess he could get into the bullpen with a tremendous spring.
Looking at his baseballcube page, he was actually in the indepenant leagues for a year before signing with the Cubs!
And dark horse candidates who could sneak onto the roster as backups that maybe some of us haven't heard much about? What about this LaHair character?
LaHair seems like another Hollywood

Big lefty 1B with power but who has crappy defense and a hole in his swing.
<!--quoteo(post=75848:date=Jan 13 2010, 01:41 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jan 13 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->LaHair seems like another Hollywood

Big lefty 1B with power but who has crappy defense and a hole in his swing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why do all of our prospects have a hole in their swing?

LaHair, Hoff, Pie, Patterson & Patterson etc.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
LaHair isn't really a prospect, he is an older recently signed minor league free agent dude.
Serious question for Scarey: Does Perkins being 28 "all year" mean anything in baseball terms other than he'll be a year older?
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=75850:date=Jan 13 2010, 03:48 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jan 13 2010, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=75848:date=Jan 13 2010, 01:41 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Jan 13 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->LaHair seems like another Hollywood

Big lefty 1B with power but who has crappy defense and a hole in his swing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why do all of our prospects have a hole in their swing?

LaHair, Hoff, Pie, Patterson & Patterson etc.

The hole in their swing is one of the reasons why these guys are prospects rather than MLB regulars.

BTW, anyone have any word on Mike Parisi the Rule 5 pick up from the Cardinals?

He is on the roster but my guess is that his chance of making the team is about as good as any of the non-roster invitee pitchers.
<!--quoteo(post=75852:date=Jan 13 2010, 01:51 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jan 13 2010, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->LaHair isn't really a prospect, he is an older recently signed minor league free agent dude.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sounds like a Scott McClain type to me.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=75848:date=Jan 13 2010, 04:41 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jan 13 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->LaHair seems like another Hollywood

First of all, Hoffpauir is a superior defender at 1B. I don't know if you were referring to his defense in the outfield, but if there's one thing you have to give Hoff credit for is a great glove at first.

Second of all, LaHair is a minor league free agent the Cubs just picked up. Between him and the aquisitions of Ryne White and Matt Spencer, it looks like the Cubs are throwing darts blind fold in the form of near-MLB ready 1st baseman to maybe replace Lee. I don't think it's anything more than seeing if one of them can turn the corner.

That being said, LaHair used to be a big time prospect. His stats in the minors have been pretty good too. He hit 28 dingers last year in AAA and can take a walk pretty well. Honestly, he's probably a more productive and younger Hoffpauir, so he has a pretty good chance of landing on the 25 man roster as a back up to Lee and primary left handed power bat off the bench. The only thing he has going against him is he hasn't really spent much time in the outfield and I don't even know how good defensively he is at 1st.

He's exactly the type of guy you like to see signed as a minor league free agent. He and Thomas Diamond who I can talk about a little bit later.
I don't think anyone considers LaHair anything more than a journeyman like Snyder. I'm just trying to figure out who reasonably has a chance to make the roster. And Hoff blows ass.
<!--quoteo(post=75853:date=Jan 13 2010, 05:52 PM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Jan 13 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Serious question for Scarey: Does Perkins being 28 "all year" mean anything in baseball terms other than he'll be a year older?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It basically means his birthday is near the end or after this upcoming season. If his birthday was in June, it would be disengenous to say he is 28 this year.