Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is awful, even for Phil Rogers
Cubs "fail" to get Granderson

Rogers starts the article describing how badly the Cubs screwed up not getting Granderson:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs let Curtis Granderson get away, and this time they did it right before our eyes. It didn't seem to bother them too much, and it will not bother their more mathematically inclined fans, but it should.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He then goes on to explain that Granderson really really can't hit lefties, that he strikes out way too much, and that despite Hendry's efforts, the Cubs didn't have the prospects the Tigers wanted since they were looking specifically for a CF, and Fuld wasn't going to fit the bill. And those are his reasons for why the Cubs screwed up by not getting him. He also fails to mention the Cubs might not have the payroll for him.

So other than the fact that Granderson isn't that great and the Cubs have neither the prospects or the cash to get him, the cubs totally screwed up by not trading for him. Because he is really cool and fans would have liked him.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Sorry but my understanding is that God sent Phil a message that the Cubs would win ever remaining World Series if they traded away every ounce of underpaid talent the currently have on the team for Curtis Granderson.

Or was the message about drafting Albert Pujols in 1999 and Phil didn't get around to reading his messages in time so now Phil just pulls half baked stuff out of his ass and calls it a baseball article.
lol Phil Rogers is edjamacated.
It's been said countless times already, but Chicago sportswriters, as a whole, are a fucking joke.
I wish Rogers and Sully would have followed Morrissey over to the Suntimes or maybe to some paper that nobody reads in a remote location that no one cares about. He needs to go away. It isn't even amusing anymore.
Actually, I am surprised by how bad that article is. I guess to save money the Tribune must have gotten rid of that silly step of the editor between the writer and the publishing.
Could have been Mr. Cub for the next ten years? Give me a break.
lol Dan Bernstein just called this article "some of the silliest writing i've ever seen".
It was a dumb article.
This is off-topic almost, but I do agree that Granderson would have been a very popular Cub. He's exactly the kind of guy that fans like, practically the antithesis of the Bradley/Jacque type.

We were making jokes on another thread about Cub fans being "racist." I don't think that's true, but I can see how the perception is out there.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
This made me shake my head yesterday from him:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec--># Man ... I'll admit that I was hoping for Curtis Granderson to wind up in Chicago. The Yankees are right to value his Jeteresque presence. 12:07 PM Dec 8th from web<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=71232:date=Dec 9 2009, 03:20 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 9 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It was a dumb article.
This is off-topic almost, but I do agree that Granderson would have been a very popular Cub. He's exactly the kind of guy that fans like, practically the antithesis of the Bradley/Jacque type.

We were making jokes on another thread about Cub fans being "racist." I don't think that's true, but I can see how the perception is out there.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't.
<!--quoteo(post=71234:date=Dec 9 2009, 03:30 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This made me shake my head yesterday from him:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec--># Man ... I'll admit that I was hoping for Curtis Granderson to wind up in Chicago. The Yankees are right to value his Jeteresque presence. 12:07 PM Dec 8th from web<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is that from Rogers? Wow. Jeteresque????
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=71236:date=Dec 9 2009, 02:53 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 9 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=71234:date=Dec 9 2009, 03:30 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This made me shake my head yesterday from him:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec--># Man ... I'll admit that I was hoping for Curtis Granderson to wind up in Chicago. The Yankees are right to value his Jeteresque presence. 12:07 PM Dec 8th from web<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is that from Rogers? Wow. Jeteresque????
Yep.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=71235:date=Dec 9 2009, 03:31 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Dec 9 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=71232:date=Dec 9 2009, 03:20 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 9 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It was a dumb article.
We were making jokes on another thread about Cub fans being "racist." I don't think that's true, but I can see how the perception is out there.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I can't.
To clarify, I don't think it's necessarily true. Probably the most popular Cub is Derrek Lee, and the most popular Cub ever is Ernie Banks, (who signed with the Cubs <i>before</i> "Brown vs. the Board"). And most guys on the site grew up as huge Dawson fans.

So it seems, if you play well and act like a decent human being, Cub fans will love you, regardless of color.

But I can see why the perception is out there; if guys like Jacque Jones, Dusty, and Bradley are talking about <i>in the media</i>, there must be something out there. And for many, perception is reality.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
There are racist knuckleheads everywhere...even among Cubs fans. It sucks, it's ugly and it's nothing I'd ever pretend didn't exist or minimize the importance of. I guess for me the question is, are such knuckleheads over-represented among the ranks of Cubs fans and I think any suggestion that the answer is yes, is idiotic.