Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vicente Padilla

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs And Cardinals Lead Chase For Vicente Padilla
By Zach Links [December 3 at 5:25pm CST]

The Cubs and Cardinals are in the lead to sign free-agent hurler Vicente Padilla, according to a report from La Prensa passed along by Diamond Notes.

La Prensa's source for the report is Cesar Batista, who is linked to the agency that represents the 32-year-old. Batista says that formal negotiations will not begin until after the winter meetings. The White Sox, Orioles, Nationals, Braves, Mets, Red Sox, and Dodgers have also expressed interest in the righty.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=70576:date=Dec 3 2009, 06:44 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Dec 3 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs And Cardinals Lead Chase For Vicente Padilla

The Cubs and Cardinals are in the lead to sign free-agent hurler Vicente Padilla, according to a report from La Prensa passed along by Diamond Notes.

La Prensa's source for the report is Cesar Batista, who is linked to the agency that represents the 32-year-old. Batista says that formal negotiations will not begin until after the winter meetings. The White Sox, Orioles, Nationals, Braves, Mets, Red Sox, and Dodgers have also expressed interest in the righty.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Meh. He was terrible in Texas and good in LA. Our park is more similar to Texas than LA. I hope Hendry doesn't give him a long term deal. I could handle something like 2yr/$12M with a team option for the 3rd season. Hendry will probably do something like 3yr/$24M.
<!--quoteo(post=70579:date=Dec 3 2009, 06:01 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 3 2009, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70576:date=Dec 3 2009, 06:44 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Dec 3 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs And Cardinals Lead Chase For Vicente Padilla

Meh. He was terrible in Texas and good in LA. Our park is more similar to Texas than LA. I hope Hendry doesn't give him a long term deal. I could handle something like 2yr/$12M with a team option for the 3rd season. Hendry will probably do something like 3yr/$24M.

Does Hendry have any daughters? He'd throw in a daughter.
I kind of like it. I've been bitching about the rotation for months now - Zambrano (inconsistent), Dempster (was first half him or second half?), Wells (fluke?), Lilly (will he be the same whenever it is that he comes back?), and ? - and some veteran depth can only help. That said, if it's anything even approaching 2/12, that's a stupid move for this team. Find someone who can eat some innings if necessary, but who can be had for a one year deal.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Anything greater than a 1 year deal would be a mistake unless we put something in his contract about completing a 12 step program for his drinking. Padilla + Wrigleyville = Trouble.
The Farns.
FWIW This rumor was started by Padilla's agent
<!--quoteo(post=70593:date=Dec 3 2009, 07:42 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 3 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That said, if it's anything even approaching 2/12, that's a stupid move for this team. Find someone who can eat some innings if necessary, but who can be had for a one year deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're right. I just looked at his stats and I didn't realize he had been so brutally bad. 2/12 would be way too much.
Here's what the Cubs should do. They should get all the players on the roster, their agents and representatives from the union together and put it on the table:

You guys want to get rich...we understand that...everyone wants to get rich. Guess what, you're rich...or if you're at this level you soon will be if you stay up.

You also want to play for a winner. Give us some room. We'll fire Hendry and put a baseball man in charge of player personnel. Any of you that give us back 10% of you're salaries and we will use that dough to make the moves we need to make.
It's kinda cool, running a high fever.
We should sign Padilla so that we can have the 2 craziest fuckers in baseball on the team. I think a cage match fight to the death would sell a lot of tickets.
<!--quoteo(post=70611:date=Dec 4 2009, 12:06 AM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Dec 4 2009, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We should sign Padilla so that we can have the 2 craziest fuckers in baseball on the team. I think a cage match fight to the death would sell a lot of tickets.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At present, I believe that would give us the three craziest fuckers in baseball.
<!--quoteo(post=70616:date=Dec 4 2009, 06:59 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 4 2009, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70611:date=Dec 4 2009, 12:06 AM:name=dk123)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dk123 @ Dec 4 2009, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We should sign Padilla so that we can have the 2 craziest fuckers in baseball on the team. I think a cage match fight to the death would sell a lot of tickets.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At present, I believe that would give us the three craziest fuckers in baseball.

Even better. Then we can have a triple threat match, and have the cage made out of barbed wire.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

Hmmm. I wouldn't object to letting Zambrano loose on Bradley.
I'd definitely pay top dollar to see that, especially if Zambrano gets a bat and Bradley has to wear an orange Gatorade shirt.
Cubs have denied this, fwiw. And have also denied considering ANY starting pitchers this offseason.

Still looking for another reliever, though. Jim Hendry, everybody.