Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
You wonder if Hendry knows that the only team Peavy will approve a trade to is the Cubs.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"Objectively understanding where you stand with your negotiation position helps you to be successful,"<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha! now that's funny
<!--quoteo(post=3917:date=Dec 11 2008, 06:32 PM:name=cigar)-->QUOTE (cigar @ Dec 11 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You wonder if Hendry knows that the only team Peavy will approve a trade to is the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is the best reason I've read so far.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'm actually pretty impressed with Hendry. The Cubs should be the ones coming out of this smelling like roses, and trading DeRosa, Vitters, Guzman, Pie and maybe another prospect or two, PLUS paying 63 million for Peavy, AND paying at least half of Marquis' salary if we can trade him, would be the exact opposite of that.

My guess is that if Towers lowers his demands to a lesser package of prospects, while taking on Marquis and a good portion of his salary, Hendry would do it. Towers has to get a deal done, probably this year, since Peavy's contract goes up to 15 million next year. The pressure should be on HIM.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I want Peavy as much or more than most but I agree with BT 100%.
Leverage is a beautiful thing in these types of deals. Hendry has it and both him and now Towers know it.
Towers was asking for way too much considering the situation.
Just like last year with Roberts....maybe its for the best that we dont do it....unless or until Towers come way down on his demands.
I hope he does but we'll be fine. Use the money and prospects for something else. I guess.
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
<!--quoteo(post=3892:date=Dec 11 2008, 04:02 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 11 2008, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3886:date=Dec 11 2008, 03:54 PM:name=vegascub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vegascub @ Dec 11 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->LAS VEGAS -– Barry Aexelrod, the agent for Jake Peavy, doesn't sound like a guy who wants his client to stay put.

His take on the Cubs' decision to break off talks is that San Diego Padres' general manager Kevin Towers was unrealistic in his trade demands. He reportedly wanted top prospect Josh Vitters and pitchers Sean Marshall and Angel Guzman, among others, from the Cubs.

"Objectively understanding where you stand with your negotiation position helps you to be successful," Axelrod told Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune. "The Padres asked for too much."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-padres-as.html
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why I'm starting to think this isn't over yet. Especially if Hendry isn't pursuing Johnson. In that ESPN article, Hendry said ""We're fine," he said. "We've got Sean Marshall. We could get [Jeff] Samardzija ready to start. We've still got Marquis. So we've got options.". To me that says he is leaving a spot open if the Padres, who literally hold NO cards in this, decide to drop their offer.

I'm actually pretty impressed with Hendry. The Cubs should be the ones coming out of this smelling like roses, and trading DeRosa, Vitters, Guzman, Pie and maybe another prospect or two, PLUS paying 63 million for Peavy, AND paying at least half of Marquis' salary if we can trade him, would be the exact opposite of that.

My guess is that if Towers lowers his demands to a lesser package of prospects, while taking on Marquis and a good portion of his salary, Hendry would do it. Towers has to get a deal done, probably this year, since Peavy's contract goes up to 15 million next year. The pressure should be on HIM.

If we don't sign another starter, I think that's a sign that Hendry still thinks he can get Peavy at a reduced rate.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well said BT. I fully trust Jim. I'm just going to stop freaking out about everything, or try to, and just let him do his work.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'm just going to stop freaking out about everything,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Promises...promises.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/jerkit.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
This, more than anything, tells me this isn't dead.
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stov...ted-with-padres
He's right about this. Pretty fucking boring Winter Meetings.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->All in all, Axelrod was by amazed by the utter waste of the Winter Meetings, where only the Yankees, Mets, Mariners and Indians accomplished anything of note.

"It's amazing to me how many people can waste time, money and resources, and get nothing done," Axelrod said. "Baseball moved lock, stock and barrel into that town, and absolutely nothing happened."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I just want to say I think it'd be hilarious if the Angels and Padres reach an agreement and Peavy tells Towers to suck it, spits some chew in Towers' face and rejects the trade.
<!--quoteo(post=4163:date=Dec 12 2008, 07:16 AM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 12 2008, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just want to say I think it'd be hilarious if the Angels and Padres reach an agreement and Peavy tells Towers to suck it, spits some chew in Towers' face and rejects the trade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the Angels sign Tex, they aren't going to want Peavy, so possibly Towers is going to have to come back to the Cubs, hat in hand, offering him at a reduced rate. At least that's what I hope.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=4037:date=Dec 11 2008, 08:58 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 11 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This, more than anything, tells me this isn't dead.
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stov...ted-with-padres<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, poor Peavy:

<i>"Padres star pitcher Jake Peavy is "frustrated'' by the team's inability to trade him after threatening to do so for months and "shaken'' over the Padres' latest failure to deal him to the Cubs after weeks of talks, Peavy's agent Barry Axelrod said."</i>

<i>"It's tough. Jake was pretty shaken by it,'' Axelrod said. "He was starting to think about what life was like to be a Chicago Cub, and now that was taken from him.''</i>

For the love of God, just let the dude be a Cub before he takes his own life!!!!!!!!
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
Damn, I'm actually starting to feel some sympathy for Mr Penis after reading that.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Felix Pie-OF-Cubs Dec. 12 - 12:27 pm et

The Orioles will not be able to land Cubs outfielder Felix Pie in a stand-alone trade that doesn't involve Jake Peavy.
The O's had dreams of sending Garrett Olson to the Padres and receiving Pie from the Cubs in a three or four-team trade. With talks between the Cubs and Padres falling flat, the Orioles are now out of the mix. Baltimore executives said Thursday that the Cubs won't budge on Pie without Peavy being somehow involved.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ahem, what about Roberts???
<!--quoteo(post=4208:date=Dec 12 2008, 11:24 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 12 2008, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
Damn, I'm actually starting to feel some sympathy for My Penis after reading that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

fixed - You can thank me later...
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge